Do Corollas burn oil at 75,000 miles?

Just before I had the oil changed a couple of days ago, I checked the oil dip stick, and it was bone dry.
I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I have a 2012 Corolla with 75,000 miles. My mechanic told me imports burn oil at this mileage. I've never had the rpm over 4,500 rpm. Just a couple of times at 4,500 rpm during break in. Maybe they didn't put in enough oil at last oil change? I haven't looked at the dipstick for a long while.

Also what's the advantage of using 0W-20 synthetic oil as it's very expensive?

Thank you.

Just before I had the oil changed a couple of days ago, I checked the oil dip stick, and it was bone dry.
I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I have a 2012 Corolla with 75,000 miles. My mechanic told me imports burn oil at this mileage. I've never had the rpm over 4,500 rpm. Just a couple of times at 4,500 rpm during break in. Maybe they didn't put in enough oil at last oil change? I haven't looked at the dipstick for a long while.

Also what's the advantage of using 0W-20 synthetic oil as it's very expensive?

Thank you.
1. Synthetic oils run for 7500-10000 miles between intervals (assuming your car engine reaches operating temps at every trip), while conventional oil is good for only 3000-5000 miles.
2. I have 2011 LE with 107k - no noticeable oil burn even though it was an ex rental in her previous life.
Are you sure there was enough oil to begin with? I doubt it can burn oil from max level to way below minimum at those intervals, unless you see a big cloud of smoke that your car leaves behind every time it leaves a traffic light.

You should check it once a week-two weeks, not once an oil change.

My 09 Corolla burns nothing with 96k miles on it. Last year I took it on a 9400 mile trip and it used no oil at all. Just check the level after you change it or have someone else do it. Synthetic 0w-20 is what is recommended but isn't too expensive to do yourself. You can buy a 5 quart jug at Walmart for around $22-$25 and an OEM filter for less then $5. Do it yourself and save!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
am nearing 100K. I change every 10K, I use 5-2o regular oil. I nw switched to high mileage oil. I am not burning oil. owner day one.
synthetic is not expensive it is near t he same price as regular, it can be a few dollars more if asked. Yes I check the oil before I bring it in t oa mechanic to do it for you, you're asking some one to so something so simple to inspect the oil

My 2010 LE with 78k burns effectively zero oil between 5k changes mostly highway miles. Always use 5w20 standard oil.

Despite this I check my oil every 2ed fuel-up or once a week whichever comes first ... better safe then sorry.

My 2010 LE with 78k burns effectively zero oil between 5k changes mostly highway miles. Always use 5w20 standard oil.

Despite this I check my oil every 2ed fuel-up or once a week whichever comes first ... better safe then sorry.
I was wondering why you don't use the recommended 0W-20? I know though I'm paying top $ for the 0W-20. Thank you.

Toyota recommends synthetic oil for the Corolla. Using 0w-20 will also help a little with mpg and 0w-20 synthetic will pump through the engine faster in cold weather too.

I was wondering why you don't use the recommended 0W-20? I know though I'm paying top $ for the 0W-20. Thank you.

You answered your own question ... I can get my oil changed for around $20 most times with 5-20 and the car seems fine.

Edit: To the best of my knowledge the '09 has the exact same motor but calls for 5w-20 ... only difference is 5k service not 10k?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
We can switch over if we wanted to. that is the choice we have and I rather use what I feel works for me? We do need to keep an eye on the oil syn or real.