Electrical Issues

Hi everyone-

I have a 2005 Corolla LE, and lately I've begun to experience some minor electrical issues:

• My dashboard clock only works intermittently
  • My headlights and taillights are burning out very quickly
  • At night, with the headlights on, when I roll the power windows up or down, the headlights dim
So, if anyone could give me a heads up as to what to tell my mechanic (I refuse to go to the dealer since my warranty expired) I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

Welcome aboard! :)

Why would you refuse to go to the dealer? There is where the most experienced and trained automotive technicians are that have the best chance of repairing your Toyota correctly, as opposed to an independent that doesn't have that specific training and experience benefit for you. In other words, a competent Toyota dealers Service Department is your best bet. :thumbsup: :)

Welcome aboard! :)

Why would you refuse to go to the dealer? There is where the most experienced and trained automotive technicians are that have the best chance of repairing your Toyota correctly, as opposed to an independent that doesn't have that specific training and experience benefit for you. In other words, a competent Toyota dealers Service Department is your best bet. :thumbsup: :)
Because the dealers in my area are complete shysters, and I would never purchase anything from any one of them again (there are three that I'm thinking of).

Of particular note: One dealer (I hadn't bought the Corolla from them, but they were geographically closest) refused to fix the tie rod that came loose a few months after I bought the car, even though it was still under warranty.

Another case: When I purchased the car (an '05 purchased in '07) a year or two later, I was informed at inspection time that I would need new tires. Mind you, I bought the car with 9,000 miles on it, and at the time, it had less than 30,000 miles on it. Ever hear of tires that wear out after 30K? Me neither: Ergo: original dealer had put older tires on my new-ish car.

So, F**K THE DEALERS. Now, I go to my local, and much more trustworthy, mechanic, Ernie.

Yes, many tires wear out in 30,000 miles, some less than 10,000 miles depending on the tires, especially original equipment tires which unless we're talking about a high-end vehicle, don't tend to wear very long. High performance tires wear out comparatively quickly by design, otherwise they wouldn't be high performance tires.

Currently I am also facing the same problem with my e140. No doubt, It is dead easy and pretty difficult to go wrong. I read out interesting and informative ideas. Sure this will be helpful for me in this regard. thanks everyone...

Yes, many tires wear out in 30,000 miles, some less than 10,000 miles depending on the tires, especially original equipment tires which unless we're talking about a high-end vehicle, don't tend to wear very long. High performance tires wear out comparatively quickly by design, otherwise they wouldn't be high performance tires.

OK Scott, since you are obviously a dealer and/or a paid shill for Toyota, what about the tie-rod the dealer refused to fix, and told me to return to the purchasing dealer? Please, defend the indefensible. Let me hear it.

And, at some point, you could address the issue of my OP, which was the electric system.

kthanxbye!

I would start by checking all your fuses and grounds. If all those check out, you might want to have your alternator tested, if you are 100% sure it's not your battery.

How many miles are on the car?

And I agree, do NOT take it to a stealership. They are mechanics of the WORST kind. Unless it's under warranty of course :) Then bug the crap out of them until they fix it. I hate dealerships with a passion, and I think they are for succors. My $.02

I am having the same issue with my dash clock and tail lights buring out very quickly. Will check the fuses and grounds to make sure they are good. Thanks Kingjames!

I am having the same issue with my dash clock and tail lights buring out very quickly. Will check the fuses and grounds to make sure they are good. Thanks Kingjames!
Also, make sure that the fuses are the right amperage. If fuses keep blowing, sometimes people will be lazy and instead of fixing the issue they just put in a larger fuse so it doesn't blow. This happened to me and my land rover. The bigger fuse made much more power run through the wire than it was supposed to have and melted :( fortunately it didn't effect too many other wires so I was able to just cut the melted one, and run a new one without too much trouble.

I found this video that shows how to repair the clock, it looks like a relatively easy fix:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes

I think these are common problems. My understanding is that the clock issue has to do with some faulty sauder, and can be corrected. I've never had a problem with my tail lights, but my headlights burn out very quickly. I've have had many of them that have been replaced for free because they have burned out within the one year warranty period. One burned out in a week. I've never heard of the light dimming problem though:blink: