Engine Oil Leak - Everyone Please Help!

Hi everyone. was greeted by a ugly oil leak when I raised my car to do an oil change. (this is a 2004 corolla 1zz)
I did not notice any oil stains on the concrete.
The seems to be behind the engine, facing the firewall, lower section, below the oil chain tensioner.

After having a closer inspection, I also noted some oil on the front, to the left of the manifold, on the engine.

I have tried to clean it up a bit to help identify the leak as I cannot identify the leak source. Could it be the chain tensioner?

I also tried to clean the chain tensioner area initially. Thus it looks cleaner in the pictures, but it was also covered in black oil.

also took off the plastic cover to have a look at the valve seals. looks alright.
It is engine oil right? golden brown colour...

Also what is the component circled in red (clean under view 4) with the rusty looking thing?

Maybe some one with a better eye can help me out?

I don't notice any performance difference, nor is the engine light on.

Please helppp....

Front Leak:

Back Leak:

Last edited:
To diagnose the source of this oil leak looks like it's going to take the experience of an automotive technician utilizing a vehicle lift. Go to any auto center and ask if they could check for an oil leak. Some will do it for free, with others there will be a minimal charge. Get this done quickly and keep a sharp eye on the oil level, as that looks like a serious leak. If the engine runs too low on oil, it will quickly destroy itself and that will costs thousands of dollars in engine replacement cost.

mosi

Hi stalker878

I have exactly the same issue with my Corolla and wondering where is the oil leak.
The photos seem to be taken from my car, thanks for your post.

Have you found the location? Please help me.

Cheers,

Seems like valve cover gasket but it is hard to tell. Timing chain cover leak would be a hard sell with how far back the oil leaks (I'm judging this based on your half-shaft location on some of the pictures).

As far as what you circled in the picture, I believe that is the power steering pump, as the A/C Compressor is beneath the alternator on the front of the engine. The fluid is red, so that isn't the issue (looks like automatic transmission fluid).

Also, chain tensioner? Oil chain tensioner?

Oil pump is driven off the crank in those motors if I am not mistaken, and it is gear driven. There is a chain tensioner for the timing chain but it isn't visible without removing the front timing chain cover, so I'm assuming that you mean the drive belt and the drive belt tensioner.

If it is the valve cover gasket it is an easy fix. Timing chain cover gasket is a very involved job that involves pulling all accessories off from the engine and this is difficult to do with the engine still in the car, not to mention that you will have to remove the Air Conditioning lines, and that involves evacuating the A/C system first (which a professional must do).

Also, next time, take the pictures before cleaning the oil. I suspect that the leak is from the valve cover gasket on the passenger side rear of the engine but it is hard to tell since you cleaned it. Based on oil being on top of the power steering pump ... I would say that is the culprit.