Engine oil leaks, tensioner

Marco

P_20160816_203048_BF.jpg Hello everyone,
My corolla 1.4 vvti t2 2003 is leaking from its timing belt tensioner. If i change it do i have to change the belt and the other tensioner as well?

Marco

View attachment 1756 Hello everyone,
My corolla 1.4 vvti t2 2003 is leaking from its timing belt tensioner. If i change it do i have to change the belt and the other tensioner as well?
Oh and the car has another leak because i see some oil behind the timing belt alternator. Can anyone tell me where its coming from and if its something serious?

Hi Marco, I just resolved this on my 2007 a few months ago as mine was leaking as well. I bought a new $20 tensioner, removed the old, applied some RTV to the new (on the flange) and installed. It wasn't a difficult task. A little tedious removing the old tensioner and installing new as there isn't a whole lot of room. I accessed it from the top of the engine bay. Just observe/record how the current part is installed so you can install the new one in the same orientation. Here's a link to a helpful guide I used Timing Chain Tensions Replacement

Good luck!

It could also be that your timing chain cover is leaking, especially if you see oil leaking near the alternator. There is an RTV seal around the perimeter of the cover, that can breakdown over time. Unfortunately, this is a more involved repair than the timing chain tensioner mentioned above.

Hopefully it is just the timing chain tensioner!