Engine swap options for the E-170 2ZR-FE?

I can't help but wonder how the Rolla would do with a 3.5l V6 2GR-FE swapped in. I would take that over a turbo kit any day.

Has anybody heard of any swap projects with the 11th gen chassis?

Probably not possible. If you've ever taken a look under the hood of a Camry with a v6 it's already tight as hell in there, then you have to think about transmission, etc... I don't see how that V6 could fit under the short hood of our Corollas. Let's not kid ourselves, there isn't much space even for that 1.8 liter engine and hood is really short. I guess that's why it's so roomy on the inside. It's one of those cars that's small on the outside and huge on the inside considering leg room in the rear and the cabin in general.

that's why it's so roomy on the inside. It's one of those cars that's small on the outside and huge on the inside considering leg room in the rear and the cabin in general.
This is true, and pretty much why I'll keep it for a long time; its a neat platform, just it would be cool to make it unique, while adding a crap load of power. I've always been fond of naturally aspirated tunes, especially in small cars.

I could be satisfied with a thorough tune of the 2ZR-FE, including cams, maybe a header, intake/exhaust, there will probably be a ecu tune available soon as well...

I'll have to wait.

I've been researching the XRS engines, and wonder how feasible it would be to swap in a 2zz and 6sp manual into the 11th gen. Or maybe a 2.4 2AZ-FE? Does anyone have any input?

Throw in a 2JZ if you can fit that monster under the hood.
Your best bet is maybe to throw in a 12A or 13B rotary engine. Hummmmm?

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
I've been researching the XRS engines, and wonder how feasible it would be to swap in a 2zz and 6sp manual into the 11th gen. Or maybe a 2.4 2AZ-FE? Does anyone have any input?
In terms of difficulty of swaps, it should be moderately easy. Many have been swapped into the 10th gen Corolla and the 10th and 11th gen are similar. You'd mainly have to worry about mounts, wiring, and a computer to power it all.

I can't help but wonder how the Rolla would do with a 3.5l V6 2GR-FE swapped in. I would take that over a turbo kit any day.

That would be a lot harder and more expensive then the turbo kit. If you had a drive in my Corolla Turbo S I'll bet it would change your mind. It's less money to do, easier to do and when that turbo spools and the blow off value sounds it's music to my ear!

That would be a lot harder and more expensive then the turbo kit. If you had a drive in my Corolla Turbo S I'll bet it would change your mind. It's less money to do, easier to do and when that turbo spools and the blow off value sounds it's music to my ear!

Hey bro, where do you live? I’m thinking of a turbo for my 11th gen Corolla But I’m still hesitant because of the power increase. I would love to stop by and see the power of your baby to see if Ita worth it for my pockets to turbo mine? How much whp and torque are you making?

Hey bro, where do you live? I’m thinking of a turbo for my 11th gen Corolla But I’m still hesitant because of the power increase. I would love to stop by and see the power of your baby to see if Ita worth it for my pockets to turbo mine? How much whp and torque are you making?
I live near Portland, Oregon across the Columbia River east of Vancouver, Washington. You don't have to worry too much about the extra power unless you go crazy. I've been told that the 2ZR-FE can handle 300 hp on the stock internals. I kept my tune at 225 hp but you could tune for even less if you wanted to. Keep in mind that is at maximum boost which I really don't ever hit in my normal driving. Even when getting on it hard I'll usually see 5-6 psi before shifting gears. My max is 8.6 psi for my tune. SO far I've heard nothing but reliability with Corollas that are using the kit from Turbokits.

And how good is 225 hp on our corollas? What’s your 0-60?
I've not checked as I really don't care. I don't drive my Corolla like I'm in a drag race from stop lights or stop signs. The extra power is amazing though. It's so fun to roll onto the throttle and feel the push of myself into my seat. Much of my driving is similar to before I had the extra power but the engine now as more power even off boost. As boost comes on it pulls so hard. I did buy a Vbox Sport so that I can do some testing though and get some hard numbers. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to try it out.

-Just boost it I installed a turbo on my 2019 corolla se back in January and I’m pushing 218hp and 198tq and it’s so worth it best mod you can do to your corolla!

-Just boost it I installed a turbo on my 2019 corolla se back in January and I’m pushing 218hp and 198tq and it’s so worth it best mod you can do to your corolla!

I agree. The turbo kit is so amazing and easier to do. I see that you are in Florida. Too bad since there are no mountains and canyons to enjoy it even more! What's with all of the backfiring and popping? Mine never did that. What boost are you running? Why is your CEL on?

Last edited: