Ergonomics

My 2015 L Corolla, cloth bucket driver seat is very uncomfortable for long time rides, I think it should have been better thought of.

HanSolo

I have the perfect vehicle for you!

A 2017 Lincoln Continental with Ford's patented 30 way power seat!

The reality is that manufacturers can only do so much as they have to meet a price point objective when competing in this brutally competitive market where profit margins are razor slim. Human beings also come in different sizes and shapes, thus they cannot accommodate every possibility. Have you thought about seeing a shop that specializes in automotive upholstering to see what they can do to make the seat more comfortable?

You are right in every aspect, and for sure most American cars are very comfortable. Excellent idea, there are a couple of automotive upholstery companies in town, perhaps they have a suggestion to make for the future comfort of my car!

HanSolo

You might be surprised as American cars are not always comfortable. Many of them utilize aggressive bolstering as they are moving more into the realm of European style performance. The Fusion is a good example as the mid range SE seats are very plush, but the sport buckets on the top Titanium trim are too aggressive for many. This is why I am so glad to see that Lincoln has announced that they intend to move back to traditional American luxury starting with the Continental.

Check around as someone with skill in upholstering car seats can work wonders on comfort. However messing with that factory seats can impact airbag safety as they are part of the airbag system these days.

You are right, I come from a 2008 SE Ford Fusion, which had a comfortable drivers seat. Also the steering wheel could be pulled closer that the Corolla, perhaps that gives a different feeling. I do like the Corolla very much. I live in a very crowded city with little parking spaces, and the Corolla works beautifully in small spaces.

When I was looking to change the Ford, I really was thinking about the new Yaris hatchback, which is very nice looking, but the gentleman at the local dealer was very wise, and said that I was not going to be very comfortable going from a full size car all the way down to a small hatchback, he was right! By the way I'm 5.8 feet and 160 lbs, people larger than I should look for the best trim that Corolla offers, as they come in many versions.

What kills the seat for many is that lumbar support is poor and not adjustable in all the trim levels. My LE premium is the same way. My back took a while to get used to this versus Fords which all come with generous lumbar support.