Evap emissions code

Krista

The check engine light in 2004 Corolla with 34,000 miles on it came on. The guy told me it read an evaporative emissions code but he didn't tell me which one. Told me to tighten gas cap and he cleared the code, but said if it came back on to take it to a mechanic. It just recently came back on. Has anyone else had this problem?? Any advice or insight would be helpful

The check engine light in 2004 Corolla with 34,000 miles on it came on. The guy told me it read an evaporative emissions code but he didn't tell me which one. Told me to tighten gas cap and he cleared the code, but said if it came back on to take it to a mechanic. It just recently came back on. Has anyone else had this problem?? Any advice or insight would be helpful
I got this problem too. I'll let u know if I solve it...

I saw the Toyota Tech software on eBay for sale. Basically you can download on your laptop and log driving data as you drive + scan codes.

If you check out Toyota Tech info https://techinfo.toyota.comthere is this Toyota software available that allows you to even reprogram the ECM.

Last edited:
Hello! First off, you need to know the code. If you don't know the code, it is hard to help as there is literally hundreds of evap codes. Get yourself a cheap OBD2 reader for around 50$ on amazon. The good ones even have CD's with troubleshooting guides for evap codes.

Any decent auto parts store (we have Autozone nearby) will scan it and give you a printout of the codes or at least write them down for you. I had a few codes come up for emissions on the last corolla and it turned out to be a charcoal canister. $250 from the dealer and installed it myself, problem solved. Obviously start with the cheapest possible culprits.

After you get the code, just google "engine <Code> corolla" and start reading. There is tons of info out there since there are millions of corollas.

Good luck

_bryan_