Fidjet spinner shifter bushing mod (manual transmissions only)

D Rock

Merry Christmas! Not sure if anyone has done this mod or posted this so sorry in advance-. Anywho, had some wore out oem rubber bushings on my 2013 5 speed 1.8l Corolla. noticed that there were bearing bushing upgrades on eBay, so I took out my calpiers and measured the cable end bracket/loop. 22mm od cable end bracket/8mm od shift pin/ 8mm cable end loop thickness is what I was reading after the caliper read. Well, low and behold those bearing dimensions popped up with a 608zz bearing. Now as I scrolled through i seen where these 608 bearings were in fidget spinners!? So I had one laying around the house, popped out the bearings and measured again- bearing was 22mm od/8mm I'd/7mm thickness. So what the heck right? Test fitted the bearing on the shift pin first. Maybe had the slightest bit of play at most. When I placed the bearing inside the shifter cable end bracket, it popped right in! I tried all three bearings and got lucky to find 2 of them fit perfectly in the cable end bracket. The other bearing was a shade smaller od and slid up and down inside the bracket. So be careful and choose the best 608 2rs/zz bearing for it to fit snug. Then the pictures in line from left to right are the order you need to put your washers and spacers on correctly. Starting from the bottom I used 3x 5/16th washers, then 1x 7/16ths washer, then 1 more 5/16ths washer and then the bearing/cable end, then about a 0.5 mil shim, then the cotter pin. The 7/16ths washer is to keep the cable end mount from slipping off and falling off the bearing. And the top shim plus the cotter pin is to keep it from popping off the top.
After the 1st drive, noticed a huge improvement and much less resistance from shifting from 1st to 5th. Smooth through all gear transitions including reverse. It's a very cheap and what I thought was a simple mod. So if u have a fidget spinner and a few washers laying around, give it a shot! I love it! Cheers! Derek.

Attachments

D Rock

The clutch press is also so much smoother also w/less pressure applied. Clutch and shifter cables have the same size od (22mm) cable ends and shift pin sizes are the same also (8mm). Both 608 bearings work for both.