Finally...47 mpg

ToyBoy

I just reset my mpg meter about 350 miles a go and it is reading at 41.3 mpg average. Before the reset I went all winter and even with the cold temps and winter gas I was getting 36 mpg average over several thousand mile run.

Finally got my car back from hail damage repairs, New hood ,new roof, new front and rear windows, complete paint job. $9,500. Left texas to go to Erie pa. this morning. First road trip in this car. car had 818 miles on it when we left this morning. Two adults and one kid plus lots of luggage. Ave temp during trip 92. Now at Effingham Il. Driving 75 to 80 mph averaged 35.6 mpg. Great road car , no wind noise at all, very little road noise. windy out but didnt notice it driving. 2017 SE really holds the road at high speed. Great handling car. Love it !!!!!!!

Finally got my car back from hail damage repairs, New hood ,new roof, new front and rear windows, complete paint job. $9,500. Left texas to go to Erie pa. this morning. First road trip in this car. car had 818 miles on it when we left this morning. Two adults and one kid plus lots of luggage. Ave temp during trip 92. Now at Effingham Il. Driving 75 to 80 mph averaged 35.6 mpg. Great road car , no wind noise at all, very little road noise. windy out but didnt notice it driving. 2017 SE really holds the road at high speed. Great handling car. Love it !!!!!!!
Congratulations! Glad you finally got your ride back!!

I think Cruise Control functions at or near 35 mph speed, and with Adaptive Cruise it'll stay within 3 car lengths of other vehicles...makes sense, and might work for city driving (excepting rush hour stupidity). I still have my heavy right foot from driving the FR-S, but i'm in therapy and that's helping. (Sarcasm intended)

your right foot CAN be more efficient than cruise control. Cruise doesn't anticipate hills, and will use a lot of gas trying to maintain speed on an incline. If you're really trying to be efficient, you need to accept the fact that hills will cause the car to slow down. You want to avoid having the car downshift and the RPM spike, if you're truly trying to be hyper-efficient.

Fast down, slow up.

40+ is impressive. I'm happy getting 34.x in mixed driving on my 2003 though. I don't even have cruise control.

The car's 'computer' is a nice tool to track trends, but I have never used one that isn't off by a 1-2 mpg. That's especially true when you're resetting it often. The car just can't measure how much fuel is being added to the tank with any level of precision.

fuelly is free and easy to use, if you really want to get an accurate idea of how your economy is trending. No single fill-up will ever be perfectly accurate though. You can't ensure that the tank is filled to the same level every time.

Corolla Cop

2014 Corolla S Plus
[QUOTE=" You can't ensure that the tank is filled to the same level every time.[/QUOTE]
This is not true. If you fill it to the rim everytime, you know it is at the same level every time. It may not be the right thing to do, but it is very accurate.

I suppose if you like overflowing your tank and getting gasoline on your paint at every fill-up, you're correct. I just let the pump shut it off automatically and accept that my average is far more relevant than any individual 31 mpg or 38 mpg tank on its own.

I have 163 tanks of gas (58,000+ miles) logged, so my 34.5 mpg average is very difficult to move in either direction. It may fluctuate to 34.4 over the course of a long winter. We'll see.