First Oil Change

Hey Guys, due for my first oil change, Went to buy my filter and noticed it was a paper filter. Is it a must to purchase a special tool to remove the canister? If so, what is the correct name of the tool, and where is the best place to purchase this? I am in Ontario, Canada. Also, I have read to becareful of a safety clip around the filter when removing?
Sorry, Im new to this canister type filters.
2014 Corolla S (manual)

Your Toyota dealership can provide you with the proper tool. Any decent auto parts store should be able to as well.

Make sure to use the correct 0W-20 synthetic motor oil.

Regarding the "safety clip", I've seen videos where people try to move it, or bend it out of the way. In my experience doing oil changes on my car, the clip doesn't interfere with anything and does not need to be be bent, etc.

Didn't you get 2 years of ToyotaCare with your new Corolla? That includes free oil changes. I thought all new 2014 Toyota vehicles get the 2 year deal included.

Never mind. I just saw in another thread that you prefer to do your own oil changes.

Last edited:
Didn't you get 2 years of ToyotaCare with your new Corolla? That includes free oil changes. I thought all new 2014 Toyota vehicles get the 2 year deal included.

Never mind. I just saw in another thread that you prefer to do your own oil changes.
I had the option for 5 free oil changes, but it was only included if i purchased the premium warranty package that extends your warranty up to 280,000 km's.

Regarding the "safety clip", I've seen videos where people try to move it, or bend it out of the way. In my experience doing oil changes on my car, the clip doesn't interfere with anything and does not need to be be bent, etc.
So once I get this special tool, the cannister screws off like a traditional oil filter, and I dont need to worry about that clip? What is the purpose of that clip anyways?
Also, while im here. Cansiter off, swap out paper filter, replace O-ring provided making sure to lube up the o-ring as well, then re-install.
Rule of thumb, when installing tradition filters, finger tighten till you feel filter make contact (bottom out) then tighten 3/4 of a turn.
Same concept with this style?
Thanks

So once I get this special tool, the cannister screws off like a traditional oil filter, and I dont need to worry about that clip? What is the purpose of that clip anyways?
Also, while im here. Cansiter off, swap out paper filter, replace O-ring provided making sure to lube up the o-ring as well, then re-install.
Rule of thumb, when installing tradition filters, finger tighten till you feel filter make contact (bottom out) then tighten 3/4 of a turn.
Thanks
No, this one you want to use the tool to tighten (if you go hand tight, it'll leak), but don't go King Kong on it. I'd do about 5 ft-lb of torque (that's about what I did). That is all you need.

The clip is just a safety I suppose, looks like it is there as protection in-case the cap comes loose, will stop the cap from spinning completely off.

Thanks
The clip just rides over the filter canister but does not prevent it from unscrewing. I believe the torque spec on the canister is 18 lb-ft. That's not much. So if you don't have a torque wrench, snug it up, fill with oil (I use 5W-30 M1) and check for leaks.

I really don't get why people fall for the "special tool" I've been using a filter wrench that I bought for my 93 corolla filter back in 2003 and i've used it on every corolla since. it cost about 5 bucks at advance auto and it works perfectly.

Kev250R

This is my other car
Ditto, on my car the canister is on so tight that the filter cap just slides over the ridges. It's going to go in next week to our mechanic at work to have the filter removed. Previous to me my Corolla was serviced by Pep Boys and they over-tightened everything they touched!

Kevin