First time Corolla owner

En66

Got my first Corolla, Traded in my Fusion and got a 2011 LE automatic. Was sick and tired of the stick.
I am very happy with it so far!
Thanks for having me!

Hi I as well am a first time Toyota corolla owner and I also got so darn sick of stick shift and a gas guzzler too thanks for letting me join

First time owner, as well (actually, first time owner of a foreign car. I'm originally from Detroit and feeling a little bit like a traitor.) Just got it last night! I bought a 2011 Corolla S, red (not at all my first color choice), with a bunch of things that I absolutely love (blue tooth, alarm, moon roof, etc.). Happy so far but really nervous after reading about the accelerator issues :/ Hoping this car will aid me in learning to drive like a grown up (no more speeding tickets!!!) and save some $$$ on gas!

First time owner, as well (actually, first time owner of a foreign car. I'm originally from Detroit and feeling a little bit like a traitor.) Just got it last night! I bought a 2011 Corolla S, red (not at all my first color choice), with a bunch of things that I absolutely love (blue tooth, alarm, moon roof, etc.). Happy so far but really nervous after reading about the accelerator issues :/ Hoping this car will aid me in learning to drive like a grown up (no more speeding tickets!!!) and save some $$$ on gas!
Good Luck on the tickets my S will fly

First time owner, as well (actually, first time owner of a foreign car. I'm originally from Detroit and feeling a little bit like a traitor.)
TStew,

Canada is in North America,
So is Mississippi and California.
Seems to me My 2012 was built in Jacksonville Florida.
Your Corolla was built in North America.

Red is a great color, but tickets can be expensive.
Buy a really good quality radar detector, then drive like you own a Prius.
If you think a Prius is slow, imagine how slow and inconvenient it will be commuting on a bicycle.

Welcome to the Forum!

TStew,
. . .Buy a really good quality radar detector, then drive like you own a Prius. . .
My fast driving days are over, but if you want to go fast on the interstate, and the posted speed isn't fast enough, you will need, in addition to a quality radar+laser detector, a CB radio. Also, there are smart phone apps.

Many local governments are looking to speed enforcement to compensate for declining property tax revenues.

First and LAST Toyota

Thanks everyone!
Update - I'm so disappointed with this car and I do believe it will be the first and last Toyota I ever purchase! Toyota seems to have total disregard for safety.

My car has a steering issue and it is NOT safe to drive at speeds over 65-70. My normal freeway speed is 80 (normal here in CA and even a bit conservative) and it feels like I'm being buffeted by high winds and I have to fight to keep control. If I go around a bend in the road - forget it!!

Toyota tells me this is just how Corolla steers due to the electric steering or some crap and there is tons of info on the web about it. He was right - tons of info about others having the same exact problem and some getting it resolved because the 2009 and 2010 had a TSP to replace something to correct it. Well, apparently there are a ton of complaints but not enough for a TSP for the 2011. I read on one forum that the same computer (or whatever it is) was used so I have a friend trying to help me find this out so I can try to get them to replace. This is such CRAP and I'm not up for a long drawn out fight. I'll likely just get rid of this death trap and buy a real car and never another Toyota! This dealer knew exactly what it was selling me as this car was owned and driven by dealer for the first two years.

TStew,

You may be able to return the car to the dealer. Many times you have 3 days. You contacted them with-in three days.. They probably sell other brands of cars at the Same dealership. If you do not feel safe, you should not have to drive this car. I probably would not feel safe in a Humvee, but our troops probably feel much safer in it than if they were driving a Corolla.

Test drive several different cars from different car makers to get a feel of what new technologies each new car is touting. You will find something that will keep you smiling forever... (Mini Cooper?)

Fundamental Physics - they call them laws because they can't be broken! I don't care what car you choose, if it's a 2800 lb car driving 80 mph passing the big rigs - you ARE going to feel the buffeting, electric steering or hydraulic. Don't blame the car, this is something that a thorough test drive would have revealed. Check out any equivalent hybrid, maybe the extra battery weight will help, sorry about your experience.

It's faulty design - not physics. The problem was resolved when people got a new module replacement but Toyota only has TSP on 2009 and 2010. I've been driving for nearly 30 years and I've had many different cars both large and small. Also, there are very few big trucks in Southern CA. My commute is less than 10 miles each way and I may see one a week at the most.

Get an independent alignment shop to check it

Explain the problem you are having to a Real front end guy (I always ask to see the oldest guy there <g>) and tell him that you want everything in the suspension checked for loose-ness and then to have all four wheels aligned properly. But also tell him that you want more caster added in the front. I would have him add 1º*of additional positive caster to start with.

And if there is an allowable toe-in range - ask for the maximum amount of toe-in which is within that allowable range. This will also help increase straight line stability and add control when cornering.

Caster is the top-to-bottom wheel pivot point adjustment. As you move the top of the pivot point forward (this is called: adding negative caster) the wheel has more self-centering force. This will make the car track better and self-center better at speed. Lacking this natural effort the electric steering is likely struggling to compensate. And then your steering wheel inputs are also further upsetting the balance of the car.

Think of the steering wheels under a shopping cart. The way they pivot is inclined with the bottom of the wheel 'backwards' - further to the rear - so that any motion has them realigned to move in that direction.

Or . . . . the above is what I would do if face with your circumstance. And then after it worked I would well-craft some pointed letters to Toyota Corporate. I would cc them around to various destinations to ensure that they would not become 'lost'. And in them I would casually and conversationally use terms such as 'subpoena all dealer service records' and 'class action lawsuit' and things of that nature. <g>

PHM
------

Thanks everyone!
Update - I'm so disappointed with this car and I do believe it will be the first and last Toyota I ever purchase! Toyota seems to have total disregard for safety.

My car has a steering issue and it is NOT safe to drive at speeds over 65-70. My normal freeway speed is 80 (normal here in CA and even a bit conservative) and it feels like I'm being buffeted by high winds and I have to fight to keep control. If I go around a bend in the road - forget it!!

Toyota tells me this is just how Corolla steers due to the electric steering or some crap and there is tons of info on the web about it. He was right - tons of info about others having the same exact problem and some getting it resolved because the 2009 and 2010 had a TSP to replace something to correct it. Well, apparently there are a ton of complaints but not enough for a TSP for the 2011. I read on one forum that the same computer (or whatever it is) was used so I have a friend trying to help me find this out so I can try to get them to replace. This is such CRAP and I'm not up for a long drawn out fight. I'll likely just get rid of this death trap and buy a real car and never another Toyota! This dealer knew exactly what it was selling me as this car was owned and driven by dealer for the first two years.

Last edited: