Fog Lights Only

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
On my previous cars with fog lights, you were able to have only the fog lights on(along with the parking lights). The only way I can get them to come on with this car is to have the head lights on. This defeats the purpose of the fogs doesn't it? If it is actually foggy, the headlights illuminate the particles in the fog, reducing your visibility. The fog lights are set low to avoid this. Am I missing something here? Can I have just the fog and parking lights on without the headlights? Or are they just for looks?

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
My dealer has a customer appreciation day where you can come ask questions about your car, this will be one of my questions. I really don't see the point of the fog lights if they don't even work properly. If that's the case, I may as well change out the yellowish ones for a color that more closely matches the head lights.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Headlights with their white light set on low beam, wont reduce vision while driving in foggy conditions. The yellow/amber beams of light coming from the fog lights do cut through the fog much better than the white light of headlights though.

XEON

That's good if you live ware there is a lots of fog..

Like me I'm in New York City we barely get fog at all. White is Good!

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
These lowbeams are super bright, I was thinking they might not do well in fog. We don't get much where I'm at anyhow. I just thought it was weird that I can't control my lights the way I want to.

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
The lights aren't automatic, so the car could be driven in the dark without them if I really wanted. My question was about operating the fog lights, thanks though.

The driving lights (some call then foglights) are "warmer" in tint than the "cooler" led headlights. They're not actually yellow/Amber like some true foglights. I believe that's what the poster meant.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My fog lights are white. What do you mean by yellow/amber fog lights?
Fog lights are not white. Honest to gosh fog lights are amber/yellow and cut through the fog much better for better driver visibility than with white lights. If the additional lights to the headlights are white, they are driving lights to reach further down the road for better nighttime visibility. Fog lights and driving lights are entirely different.

Corolla Cop

2014 Corolla S Plus
Look at them closely, they are yellow and not white. Unless someone has changed them to white, they come from the factory with yellowish bulbs.
We must be thinking about different lights. The lights mounted on the bottom corners are as bright white as they get. Aren't those called fog lights?

Many times vehicle manufacturers, or aftermarket, marketing departments will refer to those lights as fog lights, but they are not. Fog lights have an amber/yellow lens and bulb so it cuts through the fog better. White lights are driving lights for seeing down the road further.

I don't understand how or why but somewhere along the line this seems to have become lost knowledge.

Many call them fog lights. Even though everyone knows what u mean, there r a few on this form who are 'splitting hairs'. If u don't use EXACT terminology than they will have a smart ass answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We must be thinking about different lights. The lights mounted on the bottom corners are as bright white as they get. Aren't those called fog lights?
We are talking about the same lights. Look at your LED headlights. They are bright white with a bluish tint. Your fog lights are are not nearly the same color, they are yellowish like most incandescent bulbs are. My wife noticed this right away and told me to get the yellow fog lights out and find some white ones. That's when I went to the internet and realized there is a big debate on the proper color for fog lights.

Search YouTube to see the difference in the fog between true yellow/amber fog lights and white driving lights. The difference and advantage true fog lights provide in driving in the fog over white driving lights is quite noticeable.

Many call them fog lights. Even though everyone knows what u mean, there r a few on this form who are 'splitting hairs'. If u don't use EXACT terminology than they will have a smart ass answer.
There are amber/yellow fog lights and then there are white diving lights. There's a big difference in usage and performance.

Corolla Cop

2014 Corolla S Plus
I just went out and looked at my fog lights and they do look a little incandescent, kind of like a regular headlight, but no where near yellow or amber. I wish I could find some yellow lights to go in there.

Our foglights seem yellow because they are 19W instead of 35W, but they are not true yellow (2600K) bulbs.

I plan on replacing mine with yellow LED if I can find them and they aren't so bright they defeat the purpose.