Fog Lights

So I love the car but I hate the fog lights. Not really worried about fog just the looks. Not much fog where I live anyway. Im looking to replace fog bulbs with either a blue that matches the headlights or yellow. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get them that the color matches. Really looking for the blue that matches more then the yellow. Seen a couple pictures on forum but color is way off. Looking for a product with a picture so I know what im buying. Thanks for the help. Car is a 2014 corolla s premium 6 speed manual is thats needed

So I love the car but I hate the fog lights. Not really worried about fog just the looks. Not much fog where I live anyway. Im looking to replace fog bulbs with either a blue that matches the headlights or yellow. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get them that the color matches. Really looking for the blue that matches more then the yellow. Seen a couple pictures on forum but color is way off. Looking for a product with a picture so I know what im buying. Thanks for the help. Car is a 2014 corolla s premium 6 speed manual is thats needed
I found these on eBay I haven't used them myself don't know if your looking to replace the whole assembly or just the bulbs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18W-JDM-6k-...orolla|Submodel:S&hash=item461d2c2b7a&vxp=mtr

It might be worth it to check to be sure changing bulbs to a different color is legal. There are laws about this. Contact your State Police and they can advise you.

Blue that matches the headlights (6K or ice Blue) should be legal, as should changing the lights to yellow.

Typically laws are against red or blue lights in the front which can be mistaken for emergency vehicles (although local police will sometimes hassle you for green or purple or pink also).

Agreed - not a bad idea to verify with the State Police first, though.

So here is a picture of my before and after. Top is stock bottom is OPT7 H11 6000k led fog lights I got off of amazon. They were very cheap about $15 and the plug right in. Not very bright at all but atleast they match now. I will look for brighter ones and put a pic up of what I find.

Attachments

Last edited:
There a little bit lighter then my headlights and there factory. I'm not really worried about it I've seen people with 14000k hid for headlights all the time. Can you guys see the picture. I tryed to look at it and it didn't work for me. I uploaded another picture of the fog lights i bought just so you guys don't buy them lol. There pretty bad. I'm going to buy an HID kit 55w 6000k that should do the trick.

Attachments

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Fog light color or not. Just giving an excuse for an Officer, to more the reason to Pull a person over, because he or she is driving with Fog lights on!

Color or not.

If no Fog and Fog lights on, is not driving safely for other drivers, it's blinding. Weird Science

There a little bit lighter then my headlights and there factory. I'm not really worried about it I've seen people with 14000k hid for headlights all the time. Can you guys see the picture. I tryed to look at it and it didn't work for me. I uploaded another picture of the fog lights i bought just so you guys don't buy them lol. There pretty bad. I'm going to buy an HID kit 55w 6000k that should do the trick.
Put the picture in Photobucket, then use the picture icon to put it here.

Also, I'd advise against 55w HID lights in your fog lights. That is almost triple what the wiring was designed to handle (the stock bulbs are 19w).

If you are looking to match the headlights, Nokya makes a 6000K led bulb for our housings.

Fog light color or not. Just giving an excuse for an Officer, to more the reason to Pull a person over, because he or she is driving with Fog lights on!

Color or not.

If no Fog and Fog lights on, is not driving safely for other drivers, it's blinding. Weird Science
I've never been blinded by people's fog lights. Several people in the states drive with their fog/driving lights on constantly (I'm one of them), and I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it. Not to say that some douchebag cop wouldn't issue one, but I'd be in court fighting it.

So here is a picture of my before and after. Top is stock bottom is OPT7 H11 6000k led fog lights I got off of amazon. They were very cheap about $15 and the plug right in. Not very bright at all but atleast they match now. I will look for brighter ones and put a pic up of what I find.
Just to let you know, LED fog lights bulbs that will actually function as fog lights or driving lights are going to cost over $100. Anything in the $15 range was meant to be a DRL and are probably worse at lighting the ground than the stock bulbs were.

The OP said that the local police aren't worried about HID headlights, so I don't see them worrying about fog lights.

I've never been blinded by people's fog lights. Several people in the states drive with their fog/driving lights on constantly (I'm one of them), and I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it. Not to say that some douchebag cop wouldn't issue one, but I'd be in court fighting it.
This came up on the Elantra forum - (actually, it wasn't fog lights though), in California, it is illegal to have the car in motion with the parking lights on unless the headlights are also on. (Elantra DRL's only work if the parking lights are on also - apparently the officer didn't think those counted as headlights.)

That's the local police. What about the State Police, Sheriff and police departments all across the country?

Personally, I wouldn't do anything that would give a police officer a valid reason to pull me over, give me a hard time and write me a ticket.

Life is too short to ask for a hassle and expense like that. It's just not worth it.

The OP said that the local police aren't worried about HID headlights, so I don't see them worrying about fog lights.

This came up on the Elantra forum - (actually, it wasn't fog lights though), in California, it is illegal to have the car in motion with the parking lights on unless the headlights are also on. (Elantra DRL's only work if the parking lights are on also - apparently the officer didn't think those counted as headlights.)
That's odd. I usually turn my parking lights on if there is rain so that people can see my front parking lights and my rear tail lights. At night the law obviously makes sense but I don't see the purpose of it otherwise.

When we want to know the truth follow the money.

If they can write more and more draconian control-us-with-everything-we-do laws, when and if we violate those laws they get to write us a ticket and suck more money out of our wallets! :thumbdown::(:mad:

I usually turn my parking lights on if there is rain so that people can see my front parking lights and my rear tail lights. At night the law obviously makes sense but I don't see the purpose of it otherwise.
In most states (at least GA and FL), the law is HEADLIGHTS on when it rains (even drizzle). Parking lights come on with the headlights, but that is legal even in California.

In most states (at least GA and FL), the law is HEADLIGHTS on when it rains (even drizzle). Parking lights come on with the headlights, but that is legal even in California.
Its true for FL, I just got back from work and it was drizzling and I automatically turn on my low beams and tail lights. Are the parking lights you refer to the orange lights in the headlights?

In Pa the law is if you have your windshield wiper your headlights have to be on. Anyway, I when to the Nokia website and can't figure out how to buy lol. I'm not trying to buy 150$ fog lights that I don't now what they look like. I guess I should wait and see when other buy and install. I will get a picture up soon

LMAO!

I have yet to see a picture of the Miromoto fogs adjusted properly. The OP never took a photo of the beam pattern on the road like I asked, and the other guy that installed them had them adjusted waaaaaaay too high, so until I see a set properly adjusted, I'm not convinced.

Right now they look like they'd be worse in fog, simply from how high they are aimed out of the box.

I didn't say they were "good" pictures of the lights properly aimed!!! :laughing:

They look to me like they throw out a lot of light (brighter than the headlights from the front view), and look like they would work well if aimed downward.

I would want them for driving lights and not specifically for fog lights - so that is probably biasing me a bit. (And they just look good turned off also.)

And I think Donabed is a bit fussier than I am - NTTIAWWT !!!

I'm definitely picky, LOL! if I'm going to drop $150 for fog lights I need good pics to convince me, and for that price they oughta apply the yellow tint for me :-D

They could offer them in yellow.

Then again - from what I can see, it is $120 for the Nokya 9618 (at least the Amazon link I went to), for LED bulbs in reflector housing as opposed to $150 for true LED projectors with the lenses.

If you are okay with white, the price is about the same - or pretty close.

(If you don't have factory fogs, it's a lot less to install the Miromotos and the bezels from SET ($125+$150) than to install the OEM fogs ($250) and then the Nokya bulbs ($120).

They don't offer them in yellow. For $20 they will throw in a yellow tint that you have to apply yourself. If I wanted driving lights they'd be great, but I want fogs, LOL!

We are actually closer to on the same page than I thought with this ...

I agree - they should OFFER them in yellow or the very least they could do is put the tint on them for you for free.

Personally, I would want white driving lights and if/when I get a Corolla, it will most likely be a LE base model. For that situation, it makes more sense to add the SET bezels ($125) and the Miromoto projector LED fogs ($150), than it would to add the SET LED reflector fogs ($250) and possibly the white Nokya bulbs ($120).

If my Nokya bulbs die out and Miromoto makes a 2500K kit, I may consider it, but I still think the beam pattern is a little too short. Hard to tell.

But yeah, if you don't already have the housings then the Miromoto with the Toyota kit sans housings is the cheapest bang for your buck.

I like that the Nokya has the slim beam pattern but doesn't have the cutoff, so you do get some lights thrown around that area.

Not going to argue with you in the forum, but I've read that yellow fogs are a myth - going back to when kerosene lanterns put out less light (and glare) than electric lights and people thought they worked better in fog b/c the kerosene flame was more yellow.

The important thing with fog is having a low beam pattern and low cutoff so you don't have light/glare reflecting off the water droplets in the fog.

but ...

I saw what you posted in another thread. I've had white and yellow fogs. The yellow lights up the ground far better. The white tends to skip off the fog and won't illuminate the ground as well. Helps out with snow as well.

I enjoy driving with my white fogs over here !!! I been trying to read up on fogs to see if its legal or what but driving at night with my fogs it gives me clear view of the front and signs. I just want to make sure it is legal to drive with my fogs only during the night of course. ...

Over in Toronto it doesn't get very foggy and on rainy days is not so bad ..but the fog lights do help me at nights only.

Not quite sure what you are asking and laws vary from area to area.

If you are asking if you can drive at night with ONLY fogs (no headlights) - that is usually illegal and the factory switch usually won't allow you to turn on the fog lights without the headlights.

If you are asking if you can drive at night with fogs and headlights even though the weather is clear - typically the answer is yes - unless possibly there is some rule that fog lights can only be used when it is raining/foggy - but that would be a fairly unusual law.