Fuel Cleaner

Hi. I'm a newbie. I just bought my first Toyota this past Friday. . A 2015 Corolla S Plus. I love it so far. My question is, should I add fuel cleaner? example would be like Lucas Fuel additive. Or something better? And if so, how often. I will always be using premium gas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Todd

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

A fuel additive is used to keep the combustion chambers, valves and fuel injector tips clean and functioning properly. Not many of them on the market are very effective.

There is no need or benefit from using Premium fuel unless the owners manual for the vehicle says it's required. Indeed, lower fuel economy can be expected with Premium fuel.

Using Premium gas in a vehicle that doesn't require it, wont help the engine. Save your money. :thumbsup:

Paying a Premium for High Octane Gasoline?

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ctane-gasoline

Unless it’s recommended by your owner’s manual, don’t spend the money on high octane gas. In most cases, there’s no benefit. Higher octane helps only if you have problems with your engine “knocking.”

Read Your Owner’s Manual

"Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars".

VIDEO - Will Your Corolla Benefit From Using Premium Fuel?

Short answer; no. Premium fuel has less Btu's in it and will actually reduce fuel economy for your Corolla. Unnecessary. Save your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ScottO'Kashan is right about the premium fuel. Our engine's don't need it.

As far as fuel system cleaner, I use it every 5K. Specifically, Redline SI-1.

The premium gas will probably have more ethanol in it too and that will do your engine more harm than regular gas. you would do better to spend a little money on maintance like induction system cleaning and fuel injector service at regular intervals. there is no magic elixir its all snake oil, If you look at the advertising for those things you'll see that they are the only ones that believe they work. If you want to do your engine some good just be consistant with your gas use the same station or at least the same brand. Im lucky with my gas I have a brand name (and its not who you think) every time I buy gas and they have non ethanol gas, its all I use. and just for reference when I had my corolla, I tested the difference from ethanol blend to non ethanol and there was a 3-4 MPG difference. I dont experiment anymore on my new truck and my wife dont drive her car much so theres not much oportunity for it. Just my 2C.

To me, fuel additives and premium gas for a Corolla are throwing money down the drain (or more literally, in the tank).
I agree that most fuel additives are not very effective, (my humble opinion). But with my company vehicle, adding AMSOIL Peformance Improver fuel additive to a tank of gas, fuel economy testing on my, "test track", increased the highway fuel economy of my company vehicle from 36.5 mpg, to 41.9 mpg over three runs. This is saving me hundreds of dollars a year in reduced fuel costs. The engine runs much, much smoother, quieter, starts easier/quicker and has a noticeable improvement in power/throttle response and reduced emissions.

Link to the Performance Improver fuel additive product description -

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/find/product/APICN?zo=349698

The Performance Improver fuel additive is the only product of its kind that has had extensive and documented testing to prove it really works. For any Corolla Forums that would like to try this outstanding product, contact me and I'll get you wholesale price savings with an AMSOIL Preferred Customer membership, which will save you about 25% off of retail prices -

AMSOIL P.i. - A Study in Performance (G2543) (1 MB PDF)
8-page 4-color brochure detailing performance testing of AMSOIL P.i.

Last edited:
I agree that most fuel additives are not very effective, (my humble opinion). But with my company vehicle, adding AMSOIL Peformance Improver fuel additive to a tank of gas, fuel economy testing on my, "test track", increased the highway fuel economy of my company vehicle from 36.5 mpg, to 41.9 mpg over three runs. This is saving me hundreds of dollars a year in reduced fuel costs. The engine runs much, much smoother, quieter, starts easier/quicker and has a noticeable improvement in power/throttle response and reduced emissions.

Link to the Performance Improver fuel additive product description -

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/find/product/APICN?zo=349698

The Performance Improver fuel additive is the only product of its kind that has had extensive and documented testing to prove it really works -

AMSOIL P.i. - A Study in Performance (G2543) (1 MB PDF)
8-page 4-color brochure detailing performance testing of AMSOIL P.i.

Nice, I would like to try. What do you recommend be done? Fill the tank and then add it? or Add it first then fill the tank? Do you use a bottle everytime you fill the tank?

Nice, I would like to try. What do you recommend be done? Fill the tank and then add it? or Add it first then fill the tank? Do you use a bottle everytime you fill the tank?
Put the additive in your tank right before you fill up. This allows the additive to evenly mix with the fuel.

I use one every oil change (15,000 miles).

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Drive your car until it's almost empty, then add an entire bottle of P.i. followed by refilling the gas tank to full again. Retreat every 4,000 miles to keep the combustion chambers, valves and fuel injector tips clean and operating at peak efficiency.

I sent you a P.M. with pricing and how I take care of all Corolla Forum members.:thumbsup::)

Last edited:

Tink

Hi. I'm a newbie. I just bought my first Toyota this past Friday. . A 2015 Corolla S Plus. I love it so far. My question is, should I add fuel cleaner? example would be like Lucas Fuel additive. Or something better? And if so, how often. I will always be using premium gas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Todd
I have a 2016 Toyota Corolla S that i bought brand new. I only use Shell regular gas. Every 5,000 miles i add Gumout fuel system cleaner. I have had no problems with my car. I also have the regular maintenance done. Every 5,000 miles have the tires rotated and breaks checks etc. They change the oil with full synthetic 0w 20 every 10,000 miles. Go with what's in your owner's manual for the maintenance. Some of the Quick Change Oil places will try to get you to buy other services that you don't need just do what's in your service manual and you will be fine.

Add a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner at every oil change. If your a Costco member they sell a box of 6 bottles for $15. Gasoline quality can vary by refinery and batch. Most gas these days is oxygenated with ethanol (typically 10% ethanol, 90% gas). It's the sulfur in the gas in conjunction with the oil vapors introduced into the intake tract (carbon), which clogs the injectors. Water in the gas is the next biggest problem. The water can separate from the gas and settle on the bottom of the tank. This is known as phase shift. It happens in boating all the time. Causes some major fuel problems. I would also recommend adding some Star-tron to your fuel, as well to prevent this. You can pick this up at Wally World. A few ounces per tank.