GAS Prices going UP

Every time I'm doubting my choice of vehicle and think about upgrading I'm going back to year 2000 something where gas was 4bucks plus and I was driving my 4runner, 17mpg city 19 hwy and that's on a good day going downhill 60 plus miles each day. Cost to fill up was around 70 bucks almost twice a week.

With what's going on in Dallas and another recession/stock/housing market, basically dollar collapsing very soon, I can't justify selling this car since the economic mess will drive the prices up. Remember when SUVs were dirt cheap and used geo metro that was worth nothing was selling for 5k? I think we're going to be in the same scenario soon and this is the car to have when gas skyrockets. I don't expect it to go as high as before with fracking but I'm keeping this bad boy.

Yup. Gas is going up here too.
Paid 2.98 for premium on Saturday.
Why are you putting premium in a Corolla? Nothing but a total waste of money. There are plenty of videos and stories of research on You Tube that have proven it. Use the lowest minimum octane that is recommended. I use premium in my Corolla but mine is turbocharged so the higher octane is needed to control detonation.

Why are you putting premium in a Corolla? Nothing but a total waste of money. There are plenty of videos and stories of research on You Tube that have proven it. Use the lowest minimum octane that is recommended. I use premium in my Corolla but mine is turbocharged so the higher octane is needed to control detonation.
Haha, yeah, I don't want to get that debate stated up again!
I only drive it on the weekends anyways. Have company vehicle.
So I fill up the Corolla once, maybe twice per month. Doesn't hurt the pocket so I'm ok with it.
I drive less than 4,000 miles a year on it. Still smells new inside!

I have to agree with SuperchargedMR2. I've researched this extensively and for our vehicles unless you've changed compression and turboed/supered it then it is a waste of time. I mean if Chris doesn't drive it daily and it makes him feel better :) then no harm but for me who commutes 60 plus miles daily it would be a total waste of time. I have had these debates with folks who continue to put premium in cars that don't need it, nor it won't improve any performance/gas mileage - it can actually hurt it. They don't want to hear it, premium is a premium, no matter how much evidence and explanation you provide.

Haha, yeah, I don't want to get that debate stated up again!
I only drive it on the weekends anyways. Have company vehicle.
So I fill up the Corolla once, maybe twice per month. Doesn't hurt the pocket so I'm ok with it.
I drive less than 4,000 miles a year on it. Still smells new inside!
There really is no debate. Toyota tuned the engine to run best on regular 87 octane so you are just wasting money. There is absolutely zero benefit to running premium. In facts some studies have shown that running premium in a car meant to run on regular can actually causes higher carbon deposits. You are not getting any more cleaning power either. You are only doing 2 things. 1. Costing you a few more dollars every fill up. 2. Giving more profit the the oil company. I would say start saving the extra $3-$5 per fill up and putting it in a jar. You will be amazed at how quickly it adds up!

I have to agree with SuperchargedMR2. I've researched this extensively and for our vehicles unless you've changed compression and turboed/supered it then it is a waste of time. I mean if Chris doesn't drive it daily and it makes him feel better :) then no harm but for me who commutes 60 plus miles daily it would be a total waste of time. I have had these debates with folks who continue to put premium in cars that don't need it, nor it won't improve any performance/gas mileage - it can actually hurt it. They don't want to hear it, premium is a premium, no matter how much evidence and explanation you provide.
I never understand the thought behind people doing this. Makes no sense and provides no benefit. Crazy stuff. :eek:

-BOGEY-

There really is no debate. Toyota tuned the engine to run best on regular 87 octane so you are just wasting money. There is absolutely zero benefit to running premium. In facts some studies have shown that running premium in a car meant to run on regular can actually causes higher carbon deposits. You are not getting any more cleaning power either. You are only doing 2 things. 1. Costing you a few more dollars every fill up. 2. Giving more profit the the oil company. I would say start saving the extra $3-$5 per fill up and putting it in a jar. You will be amazed at how quickly it adds up!
If I wanted to run liquid gold in my car, nobody should care...each owner is going to pamper or treat their car as they wish. People change oil at 3000 miles, why? People wax their cars , why? People repair body damage, why? None of these things effect the mechanical function. It's because of personal choice.

We own a 2017 Toyota IM, and we have always put regular Octane into our gas tanks....I think the best way to keep up any vehicle is do do regular maintenance on it..We also own a 14 year old Hyundai Elantra, and it still runs well. We make sure to get the oil changed on a regular basis: as well and tune ups. I think this is the best way to keep a car running well for a long time...

If I wanted to run liquid gold in my car, nobody should care...each owner is going to pamper or treat their car as they wish. People change oil at 3000 miles, why? People wax their cars , why? People repair body damage, why? None of these things effect the mechanical function. It's because of personal choice.
Changing oil can only be a benefit. Waxing the car protects it. Repairing body damage keeps the car looking new. Using premium when regular is what it's tuned for has zero benefit and wastes money. It only helps line the oil companies pockets. If it was a benefit of any kind I could see people doing it and why they would do it. I just don't understand why people do it when it doesn't do anything and wastes money. I just think the extra few bucks from every fill up could be quickly saved and used for other goodies. Bottom line though is that it is your car and your money. If you want to throw away money on something useless then go ahead. I was just trying to help save you some money. It's not pampering your car as it has no benefit and has been shown to actually cause carbon buildup on a car tuned for regular. Good day!