Hello, I'm Steve and I just bid on a Corolla at an estate auction. What is it?

I'm near Atlanta and I just went to an estate auction to look at a bunch of fastback Mustangs that are about to return to the earth from whence they came. Such a shame. But this Corolla was there and I bid on it. What is it?

Attachments

yes it looks like a mid 70's and it should also be an SR-5 with a 1600 OHV engine. I think '75 was the first year for the SR-5 in a hardtop only. '75 thru 79 looked very much alike. Somewhere down the line they went with a 1.6 OHC engine. A quick way to tell is the OHV has a wide valve cover with the spark plugs in the center like a Chrysler Hemi. The OHC had an external timing belt and the plugs were on the side. Japanese cars are just starting to gain some value and appreciation as collectors snap up the more desirable early models such as Datsun 240-280Z, rear drive celicas, and any Supra models as well as some Mazdas RXs. It will cost way more to restore than it will be worth at the end In 1975 it cost $2280.

Last edited:
yes it looks like a mid 70'sJapanese cars are just starting to gain some value and appreciation as collectors snap up the more desirable early models such as Datsun 240-280Z, rear drive celicas, and any Supra models as well as some Mazdas RXs. It will cost way more to restore than it will be worth at the end In 1975 it cost $2280.
Welcome aboard, Rose62. Wow, Encyclopedic knowledge, Beach! IMPRESSIVE! Wish toyotas still had that trim ring upload_2017-10-8_9-5-46.png it looked cool back then on the stock wheels.

Thanks OldGuy, but my knowledge is very limited on Toyota products. This one sticks out because my older brother owned one and I remember what he paid for it because our Dad kept riding him about paying that much for a Toy Car. Compared to American cars the Japanese cars weren't that cheap since the Yen was so strong against the dollar. In order to compete the Japanese went the quality route and it paid off. The one thing I remember is you had to know how to really work the 5 speed gear box to get anything out of it.

Hey rose62. I just saw your 1975 barn find go on ebay. At least I think it was yours. I hope you made out on it and sold it to someone who wants to restore it. If it wasn't yours it went for $900.00