Help! Car shuts off while driving wont restart. 2009 S corolla

Hey guys, need some help ASAP. 2009 Corolla S with the 1.8 just shut off and won't restart. It does crank but doesn't turn over. It was towed to a shop.

Their diagnosis was 3 different things.

First phone call: needs a few sensors and spark plugs ( still need to get info on what sensors)

Second phone call: engine seized up due to no oil ( but yet it cranks so that's total BS)

Third phone call: the timing chain broke and the engine is destroyed ( he didn't even take out the valve cover or oil pan)

Like I said it does crank and the engine light did come on a minute before it shut off ( from what I was told, i wasn't driving the car). It is being towed to a different shop where someone we know works there. But in the mean time, does anyone know what to check first. I just find it hard to believe the engine blew without prior warning.

It's a 1.8 liter 2009 Corolla S with 257,000 kms. Help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a couple of things wrong (maybe cause, maybe effect) but the repair shop is shotgunning their reply trying to cover all possible bases.

Can you confirm there is oil in the engine? Leaking? Head gasket issue if in the radiator.

Sounds like it is getting electrical current and starter is turning. Testing output voltage would be good to sure there is enough to turn over the engine and start.

Was someone driving it when it shut off? Parked and idling when it shut off? Smoke from the tailpipe or smoke near the engine? Foul smell anywhere?

Is the serpentine belt still on and functional?

Battery may be drained from repeatedly trying to start. Shop said you need spark plugs - are they fouled? If so, full of oil or heavy soot or look burned?

It is possible the timing chain/belt broke. I don't know the details of it running and broke or broke at some point and now won't turn over.

Any engine codes?

Definitely get a second opinion. Check out this video from South Main Auto. It may offer some helpful troubleshooting tips or at least some guidance as to what to expect from a shop.

Keep us posted.

Good luck!

Jason

Sounds like a couple of things wrong (maybe cause, maybe effect) but the repair shop is shotgunning their reply trying to cover all possible bases.

Can you confirm there is oil in the engine? Leaking? Head gasket issue if in the radiator.

Sounds like it is getting electrical current and starter is turning. Testing output voltage would be good to sure there is enough to turn over the engine and start.

Was someone driving it when it shut off? Parked and idling when it shut off? Smoke from the tailpipe or smoke near the engine? Foul smell anywhere?

Is the serpentine belt still on and functional?

Battery may be drained from repeatedly trying to start. Shop said you need spark plugs - are they fouled? If so, full of oil or heavy soot or look burned?

It is possible the timing chain/belt broke. I don't know the details of it running and broke or broke at some point and now won't turn over.

Any engine codes?

Definitely get a second opinion. Check out this video from South Main Auto. It may offer some helpful troubleshooting tips or at least some guidance as to what to expect from a shop.

Keep us posted.

Good luck!

Jason
It's a cam/crank correlation codes. Valve cover was pulled and it was discovered that the timing chain broke. Car was driving when it shut off, but engine light did come on a few minutes before it shut off.

Shop did say it was a bit low on oil, about 3/4 a quart, but it was due for an oil change in 500 kms. So oil causing the chain to snap was ruled out by the shop. Shop did say no valves or anything got bent and the engine itself is good so they are currently putting in a chain and new sensors. Once the car comes off the shop I'll post an update on what was done.

Question is, What would cause the chain to break all of a sudden? I've never heard of timing chain issues on the 1.8 until this break down.

End result was the motor was rebuilt with parts from a low mileage 2013 engine they had laying around for parts. Now the car runs like brand new. Total cost for rebuilt with diagnosis was $600 plus $150 for tow.