HELP: HIGH RPM & slow speed while driving Downhill

HKB

I have a new Toyota Corolla (Automatic Gear & mileage around 2900 kms only) bought in May 2015 from Toyota Mauritius.

I would like to officially report, with concern, a mechanical problem that I have faced twice on 16 July 2015 which could have resulted in serious consequences.

Occurence 1:
While driving down a steep inclined road in "D" gear and decelerating, the car slowed down abruptly by itself with the engine revolutions per minute (RPM) rising up to 4000+. The car could not be driven normally as it was moving very slowly at very high RPM. I had to stop and switch off the engine. On resuming the engine, the car returned to its normal state and I could drive further on subsequent lesser inclined roads. (You may wish to note that during normal driving conditions, the RPM hardly reaches the 3000 mark).

Occurence 2:
Some minutes later during another steep descent, the same problem happened but this time the RPM went up to 5000+. I had to brake completely to a halt and then only, the car returned to its normal state.

Even if the car responds normally on most cases, I fear that the above mentioned problem puts the safety of passengers into risk as such occurrences could repeat itself during steep descents and could lead into serious issues if there are traffic behind the car.

I would be grateful if anybody could share if they have ever encountered the above or have a solution to this issue. Thank you.

Well, honestly I don't see an issue. It's normal for a car going down a steep incline to rev teh engine in a low gear. (matter of fact it is wise to shift into a lower gear to save on your brakes) The reason the revs clim in lower gear is that the vehicle will use the engine to help keep the vehicle from accelerating out of control (mind you breaks still need to be used on occasion) I may be wrong but the CVT (if you have the CVT) may automatically "drop" gears (even in D) to help slow the vehicle in such an incline.

Sound perfectly normal to me. Engine breaking to prevent to much acceleration going downhill. You'd have a feeling of deceleration but the speed would remain about the same. The laws of physic would prevent a car from slowing by itself downhill !

HKB

Thanks for your replies guys. Still what concerns me is that, the car was moving smoothly until I applied the brakes and released. The RPM went up to 4000/5000 abruptly which looked abnormal to me. I mean a car could have banged into me from the back. 4000-5000 RPM doesn't look normal, does it?

the CVT does shift weird.....ive noticed at times although its not as drastic as your issue....when I'm slowing down... the car downshifts but suddenly raises RPM than goes down......but not concerning to me atleast....the only issue I've had with my car over- revving is at start up up but other than that no

HKB

UPDATE: I had a visit at Toyota HQ and road tests were carried out. The technician mentioned that it is normal for the car to rev up and slow down during steep descent so as to avoid risky acceleration. However, revving up to 4000 & 5000 when I am driving at an already low speed could not be explained. Further tests will be carried out during this week. There is no satisfactory solution so far.

I believe the phenomena that you are experiencing is normal, but am not sure about the extent of it you are experiencing. We have a lot of hills around here and the engine rpms only start climbing while going down a steep hill after I have been on the brakes for a short period of time. I also don't think the rpms have ever climbed above 4000-4500. Also the rpms immediately returned to normal for me as soon as it levels off and I got off the brakes. Since I hate having a computer think for me, I usually just put the CVT into B immediately before I start a descent.

HKB

Guys, i have replicated the problem. Got 4000 rpm when descending at 60km/h. Happened just after i applied brakes and released. Pls check upload vid.

I've had this happen when using cruise control and going downhill. The CVT downshifts automatically to slow the car down. This is normal, but if you don't like it just tap on the gas pedal to resume the normal gearing.
I discovered the same thing on a trip to California. If you have the car in cruise control the RPM will go up on a long downhill. If you just tap the brake to get out of cruise control RPM will return to normal lower RPM. I first noted this on the long downhill going west on I-40 near Williams, Arizona.

I have a new Toyota Corolla (Automatic Gear & mileage around 2900 kms only) bought in May 2015 from Toyota Mauritius.

I would like to officially report, with concern, a mechanical problem that I have faced twice on 16 July 2015 which could have resulted in serious consequences.

Occurence 1:
While driving down a steep inclined road in "D" gear and decelerating, the car slowed down abruptly by itself with the engine revolutions per minute (RPM) rising up to 4000+. The car could not be driven normally as it was moving very slowly at very high RPM. I had to stop and switch off the engine. On resuming the engine, the car returned to its normal state and I could drive further on subsequent lesser inclined roads. (You may wish to note that during normal driving conditions, the RPM hardly reaches the 3000 mark).

Occurence 2:
Some minutes later during another steep descent, the same problem happened but this time the RPM went up to 5000+. I had to brake completely to a halt and then only, the car returned to its normal state.

Even if the car responds normally on most cases, I fear that the above mentioned problem puts the safety of passengers into risk as such occurrences could repeat itself during steep descents and could lead into serious issues if there are traffic behind the car.

I would be grateful if anybody could share if they have ever encountered the above or have a solution to this issue. Thank you.

Occurence 1:

Occurence 2:

I would be grateful if anybody could share if they have ever encountered the above or have a solution to this issue. Thank you.[/QUOTE

Hi I have experienced the same problem I am busy talking with the Toyota dealer I am not happy an automatic was supposed to change automatically I feel that there is a problem I was almost in a huge accident when the revs went high and I had to stop suddenly so it is not safe I drove automatic for many years it is not a problem with Bmws n Audis.
Thanks Iris

Somewhere in the manual it says something about this happening. It's using the engine as a brake on the downhill slope. I explained it to my wife shortly after I read it in the manual. A while later on a roadtrip, the car did what was described while going down a hill in cruise control. My wife immediately started freaking out asking if something was wrong with the car. I reminded her what the manual said and when the hill ended, the car resumed normal operation. I admit it did sound and act a bit weird but I doubt it would have alarmed me even if I hadn't read the manual.

Maybe your problem is different, but it sounds the same to me. I can't follow the video you linked.

This is just engine braking to maintain speed going down hill. Nothing new, and nothing wrong with the car. It's better for it to engine brake this way than use your brakes going down a hill, and it's actually more efficient with the CVT in doing it.

UPDATE: I had a visit at Toyota HQ and road tests were carried out. The technician mentioned that it is normal for the car to rev up and slow down during steep descent so as to avoid risky acceleration. However, revving up to 4000 & 5000 when I am driving at an already low speed could not be explained. Further tests will be carried out during this week. There is no satisfactory solution so far.
Mine did that when it was new - bothered me a lot. But now, after 12,000 miles, I don't notice it happening. Strange. You would think it would get worse, not better. Maybe it's that I'm now used to the CVT (which I like very much - just need a little more HP).

This is much to do with the CVT seeing that it's always moving it uses the gears and the higher RPM to slow the car down it's like down shifting when trying to do a hard stop. It's uses the engine and torque to slow the car down. Less wear and tear on the brakes.

I have a new 2017 Corolla with the CVT and mine does this too when going down hills with the cruise on. I am just surprised at how high the RPM's go when this engine breaking is occurring (4000 or so). Will this affect fuel economy or engine/cvt longevity in any way?

My wife's 13 Camry does this with its conventional 6spd tranny but not near as dramatic. Probably never above 3000 rpm's, usually below that though.

AJN

I have noticed exact same issue in Cruise when I hit a steep downhill. The rpm's are definitely over revving hitting 4000-5000 rpms. Have never in my 40+ years of driving seen anything like it. Freaked me out the first time. I just tapped brake to take out of cruise and was fine. I think it's probably a software issue. It's downshifting the CVT to far and causing the high RPM's. Dealers won't do anything will just say it's normal, but its not- who would immediately downshift from 7th gear to 2nd? which is essentially what is happening.

This is also happening to my 2017 LE with CVT:

Whenever the downhill speed (gravity? Steep downhill?) exceeds the set speed on the cruise control, the engine will rev up to 4000-5000rpm. It will eventually get down to the cruising rpm, but it's rather annoying. I just cancel cruise control to let engine do the braking at lower rpms. I believe this a software issue also, because it does not happen during normal hill driving.

I just purchased a 2017 Corolla XSE 10 days ago. I have the exact same problem. The only difference is I live in Houston, Texas, where the only hills are on the highway overpasses. The first time it happened I had the cruise control on and was traveling to work at 05:15, and I came to an overpass and on the way down the normal overpass over a cross street, I heard the engine rev and I looked at the tach, and it was at 5000 rpm. I was startled. The same thing happened at the next overpass. This time it was 4000 rpm almost at the bottom of this rather short average downhill. This is still happening, but occasionally it does not. How could this possibly be correct. I can control the speed quite nicely with my foot on the accelerator without hardly any variation of my rpm's. This just doesn't make sense. I am not talking about a long downhill road that has a lane for trucks on the right, where they would have to downshift to maintain a safe speed, this is just overpasses on a freeway system. I asked my salesman, and he said that it was probably normal, and I said how could it be normal for this thing to rev at 5000 rpm on a Houston freeway? I only have 500 miles on this car, and I will definitely take it to the service department to try and get some answers. I traded a 2012 Corolla that never experienced these problems. I think we all need some answers better than the ones everyone has given. This will definitely affect the mileage. I am beside myself at this point. If I can control this without hardly any variation of the rpm's, then why can't this damn cruise control do it without the engine revving at a seemingly uncontrollable rate? I give up. Pass the Tylenol..

i thought i was dreaming till i read that others are having the same rpm problems as me. Car purchased 1 month ago, continuous problems using cruise control. Was recently told that car is behaving normal. I can understand going down hill (steep),but we are having problem on relatively level highway roadway. RPM at 60 is about 1750, but increased to about 4200 to 5100 rpm all by itself after cresting an overpass. Dealer agrees that it is not normal, but Toyota engineer email says its normal. Am filing a complaint with NHTSB as others have already. Not acceptable !

i thought i was dreaming till i read that others are having the same rpm problems as me. Car purchased 1 month ago, continuous problems using cruise control. Was recently told that car is behaving normal. I can understand going down hill (steep),but we are having problem on relatively level highway roadway. RPM at 60 is about 1750, but increased to about 4200 to 5100 rpm all by itself after cresting an overpass. Dealer agrees that it is not normal, but Toyota engineer email says its normal. Am filing a complaint with NHTSB as others have already. Not acceptable !
You are not dreaming Skippy, just check out my post before yours. It is BS.

An update to my post of 1-26-2017. I was driving home from work on the same freeway 3 days ago, and put the car in cruise control, and there was absolutely no problem what so ever. On the downhill side of the freeway overpasses, where previously the car revved to over 5000 rpm's sometimes, this time it stayed right where it should have been. I was driving at 65 mph and my rpm's were about 1800. On the uphill the rpm's sometimes increased to about 3000, depending on the length of the uphill drive, but returned to about 1800 rpm's and stayed right there on the downhill. There was no incredibly annoying revving of the engine, which can be heard over the stereo, and I play my music LOUD. I mean Grand Funk Railroad "Inside Looking Out", at 58 on the volume. This happened on every overpass and freeway spaghetti bowl intersections. This engine braking BS is not acceptable. I go to the dealer tomorrow to get a problem with my window tinting fixed for the second time now, and I will visit with the service manager to voice my concern and get his thought on this problem. I will keep you guys posted.

I did file a complaint with NHTSA over a week ago. Took about 10 minutes of my time. Very easy form to use. The two rentals I used while car was in didn't experience that situation at all, so that's why I thought it was only my car.

Well I was called and asked by my salesman to reschedule my visit till Wednesday of next week. I will update my situation then. Meanwhile I will also complain to the NHTSA. This has to be something that an update to the car's computer could solve. You are not alone.

Yep, yep. Same here, 2017 Corolla LE I just drove home last night. Imagine my shock when, in cruise, the engine revs to over 3,000 rpm's on a slight downhill portion. I immediately canceled cruise.The first time it happened, I just assumed I had my foot on the gas (it was a long day at the dealership lol). The second time I waited a little longer and it went to over 4,000 before I canceled. I still can't shake the feeling that if I hadn't pushed the cruise button, that poor 1.8 would be orbiting Jupiter right now. I knew something was up.

The explanations given here about this being "normal" doesn't wash. This isn't normal, in the sense that I have used cruise 6,000 times, and nothing like this has ever happened. CVT transmissions notwithstanding, designing a cruise control where the car revs up that high and slows down as dramatically as it does, is a poor design, to say the least.

I was relieved to see mpitts1's 1st post. I thought I was in the twilight zone reading some of these responses. I drive 30 miles to work each day and cruise is going to help save on gas. I use it all the time. I'll be looking for an update, mpitts. Good luck.

Thank you drequeen. This is an absolute nightmare. I had to put off my visit to the service department because of my job, but I am looking forward to discussing this with the service department manager, whom I have had several discussions in the past with my 2012 Corolla. He had better not tell me to tap the accelerator pedal, or brake pedal, because the cruise control is meant to maintain your speed, without you having to do such nonsense to slap some sense into the car's system. When you travel on a Houston Freeway you go over overpasses sometimes a half a mile apart or less. For the engine to rev that high, coming close to red lining, is absurd. I don't care what anyone else says this is NOT normal, or acceptable. This car has a radar cruise control, which uses the windshield camera to control your speed if a slower car moves in front of you, but somehow can't determine how much of a downhill you have to navigate. It is very easy to maintain my speed when I am not using my cruise control, with NO INCREASE IN RPM's TO OVER 5000, when going down a freeway overpass. The rpm's only increase maybe 200 rpm's at the most, and that is on the uphill, and not at all on the downhill. As I said this is not a steep downhill grade somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. This is on Houston freeways, where we have an elevation of 50' above sea level, flat as a pancake, except for freeway overpasses. I will update hopefully next week, as I have rescheduled my visit for this coming Wednesday.

I am going back to the dealer today to pick up my floor mats (and hopefully get a free bulb, we also bought a car for my daughter. Tail light is out, whoopee). I plan on strolling by the service dept to mention this. I agree with absolutely everything you have posted. This seems to be a serious oversight from Toyota, and hopefully something can be done. I'll post later.

I am looking forward to hearing what they tell you. After discussing this with my salesman, and seeing some of the comments about how this is normal, I feel like Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Holy sh*t, pass the Tylenol.

Pretty much hashed out the way I thought it would, he told me to bring it in and they'd look into it. He did say it didn't sound normal. Surprisingly, he hasn't heard many complaints about this. He also stated that the CVT trannys are new in Corollas, they started rolling them out in the late '16 models. Interesting, since my salesman definitively stated that Toyota "does not have CVT transmissions" (it was mentioned because of a Maxima I nearly purchased last week). Partly my fault for not inspecting the vehicle sticker more carefully. I'm usually all over things like this, but I don't recall seeing anything about CVT before the deal. I only realized it when I was looking on my phone for info about '17 Corollas. Not terribly pleased with them, btw (for other reasons as well).

On the way up there, not only did it do everything as mentioned in previous posts, the cruise cut out on its own as the car leveled off. I went from 60 down to around 52, with no signs of speeding up. The word "Set" was displayed in the panel, so I can see no other explanation than it cutting off on its own. Normal? Nah. It's going back hopefully next week, and I'll keep an update going.

Pretty much hashed out the way I thought it would, he told me to bring it in and they'd look into it. He did say it didn't sound normal. Surprisingly, he hasn't heard many complaints about this. He also stated that the CVT trannys are new in Corollas, they started rolling them out in the late '16 models. Interesting, since my salesman definitively stated that Toyota "does not have CVT transmissions" (it was mentioned because of a Maxima I nearly purchased last week). Partly my fault for not inspecting the vehicle sticker more carefully. I'm usually all over things like this, but I don't recall seeing anything about CVT before the deal. I only realized it when I was looking on my phone for info about '17 Corollas. Not terribly pleased with them, btw (for other reasons as well).

On the way up there, not only did it do everything as mentioned in previous posts, the cruise cut out on its own as the car leveled off. I went from 60 down to around 52, with no signs of speeding up. The word "Set" was displayed in the panel, so I can see no other explanation than it cutting off on its own. Normal? Nah. It's going back hopefully next week, and I'll keep an update going.
That's not true about the CVT & model year. I have a '15 with one, & I'm pretty positive it is on the '14 also. It's been my experience that Toyota salesman don't know their facts about their cars. I was told by my salesman 2 years ago that a manual trans wasn't available. Although I haven't experienced the problem described in this thread, I'm actually looking to replace the CVT with the 6 speed manual.

Well that salesman is a dumb ass, excuse my French. You and I both know what he won't admit. I would hope they could do a computer update which maybe would let us turn this crap off, when not needed. I too am not fond of the CVT, and I made the same mistake. I miss the feel of the car shifting into gear, and the performance from a standing stop is poor as well. I used to surprise a lot of cars with the 2012 Corolla's ability to get off the line, but this one, even though it has a sport mode, is lacking in that respect. Thanks for your update and I will update as well this week.

I wouldn't call BS on those of us with pre-2017 CVT models : we do experiment harder engine braking as normal behavior of a CVT, and so does the OM says.
Those particular CVTs have been in NA Corolla for 4 years - why trust a salesman ? - and longer elsewhere, without any surge in complaints...
So what has changed for 2017 ? As mpitts1 mention : radar cruise control. Maybe that's the culprit ? Need calibration or updated firmware ? Wrongly perceiving the inclined road as an obstacle, thus slowing the car ? Any traffic ahead ?

I wouldn't call BS on those of us with pre-2017 CVT models : we do experiment harder engine braking as normal behavior of a CVT, and so does the OM says.
Those particular CVTs have been in NA Corolla for 4 years - why trust a salesman ? - and longer elsewhere, without any surge in complaints...
So what has changed for 2017 ? As mpitts1 mention : radar cruise control. Maybe that's the culprit ? Need calibration or updated firmware ? Wrongly perceiving the inclined road as an obstacle, thus slowing the car ? Any traffic ahead ?
My 2017 Corolla XSE, as previously mentioned, experiences this problem at 05:15 with no other traffic, and on a flat roadway, on the normal cross street overpasses. on the downside of the same overpasses, I have almost red lined experiencing increases in RPM's to as much as 5400, when my RPM's were at 1750. There were no other cars in sight. Then on another occasion it did not happen at all, only to recur on the next drive down the same roadway. You go figure. It looks as if Toyota has some work cut out for them on this issue, because it screws with my gas mileage. Certainly this is not what this was designed for.

I have a 2015 Corolla S. I've noticed if I have cruise control engaged while going downhill that I'll get high RPMs as well. I've just gotten into the habit of turning it off at those times. The problem went away.

Last edited:
I've noticed if I have cruise control engaged while going downhill that I'll get high RPMs as well. I've just gotten into the habit of turning it off at those times. The problem went away.
Well would you turn it off on a 35 mile trip to your job every time you went over a normal overpass? That is at least 25. Now that is ridiculous.

Another thing in trying to pinpoint the problem : does it happen with cruise control on "radar" or "constant speed" and is the car on "sport mode" (if so equipped), allowing higher rpm ?

Another thing in trying to pinpoint the problem : does it happen with cruise control on "radar" or "constant speed" and is the car on "sport mode" (if so equipped), allowing higher rpm ?
I have tried every scenario. Sport mode, ECO mode, and there is no selection for radar, or constant speed, it just keeps a safe distance from the car ahead of you and accelerates , or decelerates, as the situation changes. All efforts have resulted in the same result. The only exception was one morning, on the same route with the cruise control set, and the car in the ECO mode, it didn't increase in RPM's. It was that one time only. Every other drive to and from work, have had the same outcome.

I have tried every scenario. Sport mode, ECO mode, and there is no selection for radar, or constant speed.
On a side note, you should have two options for cruise control (from the "off" position) : press "on" = radar cruise (with distance sensitivity option via steering wheel button) / press and hold "on" = constant speed (no car logo with cruise logo)
If you have a SPORT mode option, than you don't have the ECO mode option (and vice versa). What you might see is the ECO icon, merely a monitor going on or off according to mpg efficiency of your driving.

On a side note, you should have two options for cruise control (from the "off" position) : press "on" = radar cruise (with distance sensitivity option via steering wheel button) / press and hold "on" = constant speed (no car logo with cruise logo)
If you have a SPORT mode option, than you don't have the ECO mode option (and vice versa). What you might see is the ECO icon, merely a monitor going on or off according to mpg efficiency of your driving.
Well I start out in the ECO mode. If I want to switch to Sport mode, I press a button near the hand brake, to switch out of the ECO mode to the sport mode. The car will drive in either of the two modes, and you can tell when you switch to the sport mode, by the increase in performance. As for the different modes of the cruise control, I had to go out to the car and grab the owners manual. You are correct about the different modes of the cruise control. I wasn't even aware of that. I will switch the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control off on the way home this afternoon, to see if that makes a difference on the swing in the RPM's. I thank you for that information, as the good old salesman basically just gave me the keys, and showed me how to pair my phone, and turned me loose. I have not looked up the cruise control only searched online for possible answers, and this was not even listed.

Thanks for your post jolly. I have learned a few things. First of all it looks as if this car does not have an ECO mode, just normal, I guess is what you would call it. It seems if you accelerate at a "normal" speed the ECO light on the dash is displayed, but this is not the ECO mode. Then for greater acceleration from a standing stop, or mountain driving, then the sport mode is used. I would also hope that using the constant speed mode, may just solve the problem of the racing RPM's. You have helped me clear up a couple of issues that I have had all along with my new XSE. Thanks again.

I would also hope that using the constant speed mode, may just solve the problem
You're welcome ! At least trying the "constant" mode might help to pinpoint the problem to "radar" function, if such is the case. Also play with distance sensitivity on "radar".
Also see if regular (lower rpm) vs sport mode (higher rpm) makes a difference. (No ECO mode indeed except in LE Eco variant).
In any event, any mode/combination should work fine, so those are not ways to solve the problem but to pinpoint the potential source as precisely as possible.
Mine is a LE Eco (2014). Never happened to me but a a few were reporting about their LE Eco going randomly into limp mode. Eventually, there was a service campaign : a few minutes to update a firmware.
That's today's electronic in cars... easy solution, but hard to find problem !

You're welcome ! At least trying the "constant" mode might help to pinpoint the problem to "radar" function, if such is the case. Also play with distance sensitivity on "radar".
Also see if regular (lower rpm) vs sport mode (higher rpm) makes a difference. (No ECO mode indeed except in LE Eco variant).
In any event, any mode/combination should work fine, so those are not ways to solve the problem but to pinpoint the potential source as precisely as possible.
Mine is a LE Eco (2014). Never happened to me but a a few were reporting about their LE Eco going randomly into limp mode. Eventually, there was a service campaign : a few minutes to update a firmware.
That's today's electronic in cars... easy solution, but hard to find problem !
You've got that right. I will tweak the settings on my 35 mile drive home in about 2 hours. I will update everyone with my findings. I already can tell you that there is no difference in the lower RPM mode vs the sport mode. Both ways the RPM's go almost to red line on both driving modes, when the cruise control is on. I did not know about the way you set the following distances, or how to switch from the dynamic radar cruise control, to the constant speed cruise control. I do now, and I will put these options to the test. Hopefully you have given me the right options to follow, and once again thanks for your help.

Well on my ride home I set the cruise control to constant speed mode, and I am happy to say it completely cured the problem of the rpm's revving to 5000 or more on the downside of a normal freeway overpass. The rpm's held perfectly steady right where they should be at about 1750 at 65mph. What a huge relief. I did not test the dynamic radar cruise control setting and tweaking the following distance settings yet, but I will on my next drive to work, which is not till Friday. I will go to my Toyota dealership this Wednesday to try and get a minor problem with my window tinting fixed, for the third time. I will discuss these issues with the service department manager, and post his views on the issues then. Thankfully I have found a solution to my problem, and I can use the cruise control again without that dreaded attempt at engine braking on every freeway overpass. My thanks to a well informed jolly for pointing the solution out to me and hopefully you guys will try as well.

I haven't had time to read everything posted here, but how do you switch to "constant speed" mode? My 2017 Corolla LE w/ eco mode increases to 4200 rpm on every downhill, and I'm afraid it would get only worse with steeper descents.

I posted previously that my cruise canceled itself out, which now I don't think that's the case. I haven't duplicated this problem enough times to have a strong opinion on it.

Also, thanks DJ G_Roc. Something didn't sound right about what the service guy said. Sadly, I'm not surprised.

I'll keep checking in on this thread, and thanks, jolly, for the good info.