Help with 2017 Corolla USB Stick Music Playback

I took the USB stick out of my Jeep Trailhawk and put it into the Corolla USB port. The flash drive was not detected, though it worked perfectly on the Jeep. Its fine on the PC (no errors) too.

What is the maximum size of USB flash drive that Entune Premium Audio can use?'
How should the flash drive be formatted (eg NTFS, exFAT)
What music formats are supported (eg WAV, mp3)
What limitations, if any, are there for directory structure.

Incredibly, there is no information in the manual, and Toyota Entune support has no technicians available for over 24 hours.

Incredibly, there is no information in the manual
Yes there is (p. 305)
USB memory
● Compatible devices
USB memory device that can be used for MP3, WMA and AAC playback.
● Compatible device formats
The following device format can be used:
• USB communication format: USB2.0 HS (Mbps) and FS (12 Mbps)
• File system format: FAT16/32 (Windows)
• Correspondence class: Mass storage class
MP3, WMA and AAC files written to a device with any format other than those listed above may not play correctly, and their file names and folder names may not be displayed correctly.
Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:
• Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels
• Maximum number of folders in a device: 3000 (including the root)
• Maximum number of files in a device: 9999
• Maximum number of files per folder: 255

I beg to differ.

On page 305 of my manual

“IPA slot not detected,
speed too high.”
The vehicle speed
exceeded 30 km/h (18
mph).
Reduce vehicle speed
to 30 km/h (18 mph) or
less.

With regard to Navigation Manual, the last page is 300. I scanned the PDF files for "FAT32" and nothing was found. Barely any instructions in the "USB Port" section.

Please give me a url to your document. I don't think it is for a 2017.

And surely they cannot be serious about the FAT32....thats a maximum size of 32GB..not much space.... (and no .wav support?????)

Last edited:
Odd. Are you in NA ? Here is a link : http://s3.amazonaws.com/toyota.site.p01/toyota/manuals/OM02494U/OM02494U.pdf (or directly from Toyota US : http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM02494U/pdf/OM02494U.pdf )
FAT32 is for 32 clusters on disk, not 32 GB of space. It will handle files up to 4GB (more like a movie than a song) on up to 2TB devices... It's older but it's universal. NTFS is not. It is newer and will handle larger files/devices but is a Microsoft thing. Your Jeep/UConnect system is based on a Microsoft OS, not the Toyota/Entune (which is based on a QNX OS). So maybe that's the explanation. Same goes with the old .wav format which, contrary to other formats, has limited capacity for writing IDtags in the file (album picture, title, artist and what not) and even less for reading them on non-Microsoft devices.

Please clarify... Will entune see more than 32 gigabyte or not?

I personally can't stand compressed music unless it's lossless like flac. I can easily tell a 192k mp3 from a wav if there are cymbals.

I ripped everything to wav. This is a personal preference, but I would think that if you bought a JBL sound system and have access to uncompressed music then you would do that...I keep a couple of 128gb sticks in the Jeep.

I use m3u Playlist in the Jeep. The Jeep shows tags from the Playlist. The playlist maps filenames to tags... It's auto generated.

The dealer mailed me the pdf after my first enquiry. ... It may not be NA. Thanks

Yes, wav files do support extensive tagging but most people do not implement it.

Please clarify... Will entune see more than 32 gigabyte or not? .
Sure it will ! Like any FAT32 system (up to 4GB per files on an up to 2 TB device).
I personally can't stand compressed music unless it's lossless like flac. I can easily tell a 192k mp3 from a wav if there are cymbals.
I'm sure with you on that. But Entune doesn't read lossless files. At least, use 320kbs, not 192kbs compression. And the sound system/speaker in our econobox is OK but certainly not great in the first place...
I ripped everything to wav. This is a personal preference, but I would think that if you bought a JBL sound system and have access to uncompressed music then you would do that
I don't know about the 2017, but 2016 and less Corolla weren't JBL, rather Fujitsu Ten
Yes, wav files do support extensive tagging but most people do not implement it.
Some versions do,yes. But "OK working" is only guaranteed as long as you are in a Microsoft environment.

Well, using FAT32 with a large USB Stick will be very difficult for a non-technical person. It is true that the maximum capacity of the file system is 128GB, but you need special technicques and tools to format a 128GB stick with FAT32

-Formatting a device with FAT32 is not an option from Windows GUI
-You have to open a command console (with administrator privileges) and use the native format tool
-Even so, you will get a "volume too big" error.
-Playing around with disk management (eg partitions, simple, extended) was a big waste of time. Tried every possible option in command line diskpart, but could not get rid of the error.
-The final solution was using a free third-party command line tool called fat32format
-All of this to have to listen to a reasonably sized library (82GB wav pcm) into (36GB MP3 with best possible fidelity options)

I have not tested it yet.

My feedback for Toyota-

Please update the Entune Premium Audio firmware to support exFAT or NTFS, and uncompressed music (wav pcm). Flac format (lossless compression)
Its 2017 and large USB sticks 64GB+ are common and cheap.
FAT32 does not have mainstream support.
Its not convenient to manage or carry around 4 or more usb sticks of a lower capacity.
Add ability to play uncompressed music (like most cars on the market)--why sell an premium audio system that plays CD's but not uncompressed music?