Help With A/C

i have a 96 Corolla with a little over 196k miles with a 1.6L engine. the A/C blows cold intermittently. i can drive one day and it blows cold and then the next it's just barely cold. is this an indication that the compressor is going bad?

Sounds like you are low on Freon and are starting to leak out. Do a pressure test and go from there before you assume the worst (compressors aren't cheap)

had the system pressure checked and fully charged. two days later it was blowing hot again. the freon level bubble doesn't show any sign that it's low. if it's not leaking, could that mean the compressor is failing or the temp thermostat is bad?

Last edited:
If after adding freon the AC was blowing cold and then two days later it wasn't, this seems to point to a freon leak. It is very unlikely the compressor.

Diagnose.

Last edited:
I agree, get a leak test performed on it. Shops can easily do this with a special dye and UV light.

The compressor is a solid piece of machinery, and the only way they get trashed is by running it completely out of oil (oil is mixed in with the Freon to keep the compressor and seals lubricated). If they wear out, they'll make noise or rattle and vibrate. If the compressor isn't making noise, then it is fine and your problem lies elsewhere.

i'm working with a mechanic now and he's proposed the leak test if i continue to have the hot/cold issue. thanks for all the info and support!

i'm working with a mechanic now and he's proposed the leak test if i continue to have the hot/cold issue. thanks for all the info and support!
Make sure the automotive technician you are working with has the special training and equipment needed to repair work on air conditioning systems. Many do not and this is why you can find auto centers that specialize in air conditioning work.