Hi, All!!! HUGE Noob here... fairly dumb question

I recently purchased a used 2014 used corolla and I've never had what I would consider a "modern car" my last car was a run down 1992 Toyota Paseo ( I loved that car ;_: )...

Is it necessary to use the synthetic oil for the newer cars as suggested at the dealer? Also, does the service need to be done at the dealer itself or can it done at JIffy Lube or any other place? Sorry I feel it's a pretty staright answer, but so far a search has not gotten me any concrete answers.

Also is it normal for the Vt-i engine to feel less powerful than other similar cars? This is alsi my first automatic, since IM used to Stickshift, but I figured I'd ask.

:Lastly, anyone know where I can get in-expensive seats covers for the back seat? Or any tips on how to put a universal seat cover on it?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Congrads first off. I go by what the owners manual says, you can sub out but they say to put back the same that is for the car. Synthetic

You do not need to deal with a service department or a jiffy lube that you can deal with anyone you like?

we own quite a few corollas and the 2010 is preppy, and the 2013 was Sluggish. and the 2016 is preppy, the other three I was in was 2015,2016,2016le not sluggish at all, so yeah it can feel awkward, different for sure?

We put a sheet on the back, we just tuck it around the cushion area. for the dog.

If you chose an oil good luck with your option

ToyBoy

Toyota highly recommends 0w-20 oil for a 2014 Corolla. Guess what , 0w-20 only comes in synthetic. The added benefits of a synthetic are worth the small price you pay for a synthetic over a standard oil . You are not required by law to get your service done at the dealer to cover warranty. Probably a good idea to hang on to receipts though.The Toyota I believe is only around 138 horsepower( I may be off a couple horses) and with the CVT tranny it is no Nascar Sprint car, but I find it totally adequate for the daily drive. Driving moderately and timing red lights will get you quite good mpg`s in the Corolla.As for seat covers I`m afraid I can`t help you there IXA Gamer.

The 1.8 VVT-i is similar to other engines in the class (compact cars), with the exception of cars like the Focus ST/RS, WRX/STi, Evo, Civic Si

It's no race car, not even close, but it isn't a complete slug.

And yes, you want to use synthetic. Synthetic is changed every 10,000 miles in these cars so it pays for itself anyway versus dinosaur oil every 3,000 or synthetic blend every 5,000

Picture a bag of marbles. Regular oil has marbles (molecules) of various sizes, whereas synthetic has all the same size marbles. That allows oil to flow in tighter tolerances and adhere to itself and the metal better. Pretty much any engine made in the last decade needs it because of machining tolerances, otherwise you'll develop sludge issues.