Hi looking for help

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla LE that has some issues, but I love it and it's paid for and it has been very reliable. Last year I put a lot of money in to it, but it was basic wear and tear stuff. Tires, battery,brakes, struts....nothing unreasonable and I am just so glad I don't have a car payment PLUS maintenance costs! I have about 270,000 miles on it. and I would like to keep it for a few more years. I will be putting fewer miles on it than I have been, since my situation has changed. I put 100K on it in about 4 years. I expect to be driving about half as many miles as I have been.

The other day we had some much lower temps than we usually have and when I went to start it, it acted like my lawnmower does sometimes when I have to spray starter fluid in it. I didn't think it was the battery, but I had someone try to jump it anyway. It cranks and makes a little sputter, but doesn't fire up.

The guy at the garage changed the spark plugs and wires, which I needed anyway. It still wouldn't start. I had a half-tank of gas, but I thought it might still have gotten some water from condensation, since I usually let it get all the way to empty. I did put a can of seafoam in last month. I have gotten less than the best mileage out of it lately. That is why I put the seafoam in...I tried it a few months ago and it seemed to help a lot.

After they changed out the spark plugs and wires, it still made exactly the same noise. They tried to start it with starter fluid and it didn't work. He said if it had water in the gas, it should have started with starter fluid. They spent a good bit of time on it before they said they'd have to do a full diagnostic. They checked the fuel pump and filter. They didn't get anything definitive from the codes, but they tried replacing the fuel pressure regulator and it still wouldn't start, so they took it back off and put my old one back on.

He said at this point, he thinks it might be "jumped timing." He just charged me $100 and is sending me to another garage that does more involved engine work. He said it is getting spark and fuel.

The only thing I know my car will need is a new axle---I think I have a torn boot, but it isn't making any kind of noise or anything. And I go through brake pads pretty fast...I was told 2 brake pads and rotors changes ago (3 years ago) that my calipers may be sticking. The pads were not wearing evenly. I was quoted $450 to replace the calipers, if my memory is correct, and I did not want to put that much into brake work when my car still stops fine and I just have to replace my front brake pads every 20,000 miles or so. That is a DIY job.

I have always said that if my air conditioner goes out (I live in Tennessee and I don't have good heat tolerance), or my engine or my transmission, I'd be ready to get a younger car, but it would have to be cheap.

I think after my trade in of $300 (1998 Nissan Sentra that I had just put several hundred dollars in (new exhaust new set of tires--but it had a bad rear seal leak and some other issues), I was out about $1,300 for this car. When I bought it, the check engine light was on. I did replace the catalytic converter and spark plugs and wires soon after I bought it. 2 windows (electric) didn't work and there was a crack in the windshield, but it is low and has not gotten worse since I bought the car.

I know it is sometimes hard to know when to fix and when to replace. I would really like to get a few more years out of this car, but my heart is in my throat as I wait to hear what the repair bill will be.

I wish I could buy a car just like this, with fewer miles.

When do I say, "It costs too much to fix"??? I talked to someone who had a car like this who had almost 400K miles on it before they traded it in...still going strong, and I talked to a woman with a 1991 Corolla that had almost 500K.

Jon

Administrator
It's tough to know when to pull the plug on the repairs and just get a new car. If you have a good mechanic you can trust, I'd take it to him and see what he says...may need to pay a couple dollars to have someone look over the car thoroughly. Although I can understand that seeming like hard money to spend.

The other thing I would think about is...how much money can I put towards a new car? If you want to go real cheap, you probably have to be careful that you are not buying a car that is going to have as many, if not more, mechanical problems then the one you have.

If I was in your position I would wait to see what the current mechanical bill is going to be and if it is not ridiculous, then try to get more miles out of this car. If the bill is through the roof, or the mechanic says you got serious problems, then start looking for something new!