How Do I Change the Door Locks Not to Unlock When Going Into Park?

How do I change the door locks so they do not unlock when I go into park? I read the manual and tried it but I must be doing something wrong. I have a 2012 LE.

On page 41 of my 2009 Corolla manual, it lists 4 different lock sequence options--one of which locks the doors when the car is taken out of park, and keeps them locked when the car is put back into park. The procedure to program that option (non-smart key) is:

1) Get in, close all doors, and turn the key to the "on" position (the lights in the dash will light up, but will not start the car);

2) With the shift lever in "P", and within 10 seconds of turning the key to "on", press and hold the driver's door lock button down on the "locked" side for 5 seconds, then release it.

The locks should now be programmed to lock when you take your 'Rolla out of park, and keep them locked when you put the shift lever back into park.

Last edited:

Dave

On page 41 of my 2009 Corolla manual, it lists 4 different lock sequence options--one of which locks the doors when the car is taken out of park, and keeps them locked when the car is put back into park. The procedure to program that option (non-smart key) is:

1) Get in, close all doors, and turn the key to the "on" position (the lights in the dash will light up, but will not start the car);

2) With the shift lever in "P", and within 10 seconds of turning the key to "on", press and hold the driver's door lock button down on the "locked" side for 5 seconds, then release it.

The locks should now be programmed to lock when you take your 'Rolla out of park, and keep them locked when you put the shift lever back into park.

I had to do the opposite of this and actually hold the unlock button down for it to start leaving the doors locked when I put it in park

Worked for me; am unable to understand why this method did not work for others. Anyway, that's my answer. Cheers

Gonna try this on my 2014. Wish me luck!
Edit: oh well, it didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong but I only tried once.

The dealer saidthey could change the programming via computer hook up to the car but it would take about an hr. Postponing it until my first oil change. No charge bc new car purchase = bonus!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I did this in my girlfriend's 2010.

1. Turn the car on (don't start it).
2. Put it in reverse.
3. Turn car off.
4. Do sequence.

If you don't start in Reverse, the car won't recognize a shift into Park or Neutral and it won't work. Took me a minute to figure that part out.

As far as the 2014 goes, you can set it in the stereo if you have Entune Premium, otherwise the P/N and lock/unlock combinations should work just fine. Just start in reverse!

Toyota Corolla 2008

Get in car and close all doors.

Make sure your car is in "Park" ( "P" )

Set Door Open Indicator Lamp to a setting where it is off.

I think I used the middle settings for always off. Try this first.

Leave seat belts off.

Unlock all the doors with the power lock button.

Put key in ignition and turn to ON position

After at least one chime, Press and Hold the lock button
until the Door Open Indicator Lamp starts to flash.

If there is no flashing you need to change the mode
of the Lamp and start over this procedure
until a setting for the flashing works.

When it flashes pay careful attention here.

If it flashes once, your car logic is in Mode 1.

two, for Mode 2, etc.

There may be 4 modes that cycle.

You want the number of flashes to be "2"

Mode 2 should stop the Auto Locking feature completely.

However test it. Unlock doors, start car and put in drive
with brake on of course.

If doors do NOT lock automatically your day is made !

Put back in park and turn off key.

Again, nothing should change the current locking position.

If for some reason, the auto locking is still present,
perhaps your Modes are different,
cycle through the other modes, and retest.

Hopefully you will achieve the desired results on another mode.

If not, this fix just isn't for your make and model or whatever.

Worked fine on my Toyota Corolla 2008.

Donate to kisseyes "Empowered Together" at our Store page
under Variable Payment item.

Why do this ?

I do not find this a safety feature necessary. If you need to lock the car for your kids and keep it locked and you are brain dead to do this everytime, then ok leave the auto lock on. We have no kids here. And having the doors locked while driving could potentially in my opinion make getting out of the car in an emergency a hazard or a slight delay for someone trying to get in your car to help you. As for doors opening by themselves on driving. Car doors have two latches. chances are you will not just fall out of your car. If you are a drunk driver or stupid maybe dont change this feature. For me, I get sick and tired of pulling a door handle that doesnt open because the driver cannot remember that the doors just locked again after starting the car. Just a mild torture ? After several times of feeling like a clown, you realize this feature is an irritation that just wont go away unless you do this procedure ! As for stopping your car from being stolen, if I worry about that, I am paranoid. If you worry, get a GPS lodged in your car somehow, leave a spare cell phone with GPS in the car somewhere, do something so that if your car drives away "by itself" you can track it. I saw a video on internet where a guy hid a very small GPS device under the seat of a bicycle, left it unattended. Sure enough someone snatched it. He got in his car, tracked it down to a backyard where the bike was. Knocked on the door, embarrased the person, said oh I believe this is my bike see here is the tracking device, thank you and politely walked the bike out of the backyard and left. No charges did he press, nice guy !