How Many Miles Do You Have?

2012 model

Better take it easy, you're pounding the car to death! lol :)
Ha! Good reply - I see your knowadgeable in the synthetic oil market and I have a question I hope you can answer. I have a 2012 Corolla S( 1st Corolla) with 757 miles (I know, but I just bought it!) and I see Toyota schedules the first oil change for 10,000 miles. I asked one of the "master technicians" at my local dealer (a really good guy) whether it would be better to change the initial oil out at 5,000 miles instead of 10,000 miles. His reply was to stick with 10,000 b/c with synthetic oil you can have a problem with "teflon" buildup if changed too often. Any answers or opinions are appreciated!

Ha! Good reply - I see your knowadgeable in the synthetic oil market and I have a question I hope you can answer. I have a 2012 Corolla S( 1st Corolla) with 757 miles (I know, but I just bought it!) and I see Toyota schedules the first oil change for 10,000 miles. I asked one of the "master technicians" at my local dealer (a really good guy) whether it would be better to change the initial oil out at 5,000 miles instead of 10,000 miles. His reply was to stick with 10,000 b/c with synthetic oil you can have a problem with "teflon" buildup if changed too often. Any answers or opinions are appreciated!
I personally recommend changing a new vehicles oil very early to remove any factory assembly line debris that can cause engine damage.

There is no Teflon in synthetic or dead dinosaur oils unless the motorist were to use a can of one of the many pour-in Teflon oil additives. I'm sure the technician is a very nice person, but they don't know very much about oils. :) In my 25 year career in the synthetic oil industry, most technicians I have seen don't know very much about oils.

You can learn much more about synthetic oils at my website. Enjoy. :)

I personally recommend changing a new vehicles oil very early to remove any factory assembly line debris that can cause engine damage.

There is no Teflon in synthetic or dead dinosaur oils unless the motorist were to use a can of one of the many pour-in Teflon oil additives. I'm sure the technician is a very nice person, but they don't know very much about oils. :) In my 25 year career in the synthetic oil industry, most technicians I have seen don't know very much about oils.

You can learn much more about synthetic oils at my website. Enjoy. :)

Thanks for the info Scott. I had the feeling he was wrong but I'm glad to hear it from an expert!

My pleasure to be of assistance. When you'd like to move up to the quality, cost savings and performance of AMSOIL synthetics, let me know and I'll take care of you.

As long as the body doesn't rust out, it can. :) Check out the 409,000 Mile Oil Change on my YouTube channel. It shows the interior engine parts of an engine that went 409,000 miles on one fill of AMSOIL synthetic motor oil. In the words of the independent engine rater who inspected the condition of the engine, "These parts meet parts tolerances of brand new parts off the shelf". An incredible video.

Last edited:
2004 5 speed s model with 160k. Original clutch. I like to hit the rev limiter once in awhile!! only thing I replaced is the serpentine belt. 4 sets of tires. One battery. Plugs just changed last week and looked brand new. Almost put them back in. And the CD player and clock just went out. I get 36 to 37 majority highway average 8o to 85 mph. With my best tank at 45mpg from slc to Cali loaded with luggage and 4 peeps. What's the point of a Prius again?

Last edited:
Okay oil changes that's a given!! I did one set of front brakes at 130k and radiator flush at 90k. And 5 speed oil replaced about 110k. There has not been one major repair or mechanical issue other than dead battery.

If the radiator hoses have not been replaced in 160,000 miles, they are way past due to be replaced, as is the thermostat. The brake and power steering fluid should also be replaced.

170k on a 96 Corolla. Had to replace the PCV valve recently. A lot of little fixes the last two years, but the car's 17 years old so I was expecting it. It gets to be a little irritating, but I'd like to put 300k on the engine. From some of the posts I've read, I think I'll be able to do it.

'06 Corolla LE ...just today hit 60,000. So exactly 60,002 Need to see if there is a scheduled service recommended by Toyota at that. I have an account at The Toyota owners website, it's really cool has all information, even more than a Carfax

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/login ....is what I was talking about I have not had the car long but so far very pleased with it. Got rid of a 1990 Lincoln Town Car that I really liked but was becoming a real money pit and after driving that Lincoln for so many years I am soooo pleased with the gas mileage of the Corolla

Last edited:
Yep. Lots of things to have done at 60,000. No way I can afford all of them I will have to talk to the service manager and see what is most important. The serpentine belt I can do myself but not much else. I can predict what he will say..all of it.. but not gonna happen simply too expensive. I do have a 'service agreement' for 24,000 miles, but of course 'not covered' for regularly scheduled maintenance. I got two free oil changes included in the deal when bought it but they still hit me for $40 because I insisted on full synthetic and they were going to use crap oil to do it "free"...which is in no way free they just like to use that word, more like included with what i paid for the car

Two '06 Corollas

My LE has 178k and my CE has 127k. Both just recently got the serpentine belt changed. I have to say at 60k I did nothing. probably not what they "recommend" but that is what I did. At about 120k miles the LE got new brake pads/ brake fluid but honestly they could have gone longer. At 172k changed the serpentine belt, the fluids (manual transmission and radiator) and spark plugs. Did the same to the CE at 125k miles. Both arer running like champs and get about 36-38 mpg. Hope to make it to 250k.

Hey good morning. Apparently everyone seems happy with their Corolla, whether it's new or a recently purchased used one. I just got my 2013 about 3 weeks ago. The different mileages that have been posted are very impressive. However, the car I sold to Carmax to come up with some of the down payment for the Corolla, was my 1990 S-10 Blazer. I purchased it new on my birthday in May of '90. Paid cash. The car gave me 23 years of loyal service. I should say, the engine gave me 23 years of loyal service, 'cause over the years I virtually replace the entire car. And the last 4 summers had no ac! And here in So. Fla., that's unbearable! The point I'm getting at is, the car had just a little over 437,000 miles and the engine had never been opened up, or had any work done on it, and even the valve covers had never been off. And that was w/o using this "pseudo" synthetic fake oil! I always used Valoline 20w50, and when all the oil companies came out with their own version of "high mileage" oils, I started using the one that Valoline had. The car never leaked or "smoked" at start up. GM has always made great engines, but the rest of their product is S**t!! My only hope with this Corolla is that it even lasts the 5 years of payments, the 1st of which isn't until Aug! The reason I say this is, that these cars and others made like it, from other companies are what I call "rental cars, cookie cutter, throw away or disposable cars, generic etc." The car reminds me of a vacuum formed plastic model. The only reason I chose it, was I was able to get a great deal and 0% financing, even with my crap credit. No other car company on the planet would've done that for me. So I'm gonna give it at least a year to clear up my credit, and then dump the Corolla and get a "REAL CAR". Good luck to all of you with yours.

Jay, top shelf synthetic oils like AMSOIL are the real deal and save motorists a lot of money in reduced maintenance costs and improved fuel economy. Check my website for more information. My YouTube channel has a lot of great video's on this topic -

http://www.youtube.com/user/HiTechOilCo

Many vehicles today have very bland, generic styling because of aerodynamic considerations which are going to be just about the same from manufacturer to manufacturer.