How often do you S-Owners use Sport mode?

I only use my sports mode when I see stupid drivers driving wrecklessly and then I become 1 to overtake to avoid stupid drivers :p but that jus me......then I go back to drive ECO mode :) being friendly to my surrounding
I don't think any variant has both mode... S has "Sport mode" button, LE Eco+ has "Eco mode" button. Maybe you're talking S on transmission and/or Eco light that monitor driving and illuminates when consuming less.
Personally I don't care about selectable mode. I like the car as is (so I got LE Eco base). Another interesting question would be "How often do people use paddle shifting" ?

Personally I don't care about selectable mode. I like the car as is (so I got LE Eco base). Another interesting question would be "How often do people use paddle shifting" ?
Y'know, that is a good question. I've used them a few times but I like the feel of using the stick more... the paddle shifters are definitely fun but it gives off a sort of "arcade game" vibe for me. Maybe a little too much fun, lmao. Now I wish I could change the thread title to that question, haha!

Y'know, that is a good question. I've used them a few times but I like the feel of using the stick more... the paddle shifters are definitely fun but it gives off a sort of "arcade game" vibe for me. Maybe a little too much fun, lmao. Now I wish I could change the thread title to that question, haha!
you made it.haha

Thomas

I have an LE, but if I had an S, I would use Sport Mode to have more control on engine breaking in the mountains (once every other week). In the LE, I can use S gear to avoid keeping my foot on the breaks (about half of the drivers I see do keep their foot on the break the whole way down). You can only shift into S at or below ~55 mph and B at or below ~35 mph. I almost never use B.

(The owners manual states that "S" is engine braking and "B" is Maximum Engine Braking.)

I have an LE, but if I had an S, I would use Sport Mode to have more control on engine breaking in the mountains (once every other week). In the LE, I can use S gear to avoid keeping my foot on the breaks (about half of the drivers I see do keep their foot on the break the whole way down). You can only shift into S at or below ~55 mph and B at or below ~35 mph. I almost never use B.

(The owners manual states that "S" is engine braking and "B" is Maximum Engine Braking.)
Ahh yeah, on hilly terrain I bet that the S would help out a ton, that way you wouldn't have to ride your brakes down a hill like most everyone else. Here in Houston its nothing but flat roads with potholes like you wouldn't believe, so not too much use for engine braking here!

Genuinely kinda curious. I typically turn mine on if I'm getting on the highway during traffic time or if I just feel like doing more spirited driving. Would love to keep it on 24/7 if it didn't consume so much gas lmao.
I leave it on almost always on the highway, and in the city usually in Manual mode unless im tired.

I never use it with the CVT my car seems more responsive when it's not in sport mode. I prefer to go into a lower gear than let it do it automatically
Most times that I do go into sport mode is when I pop it into manual. Though I've always felt like the Corolla's first gear never has as much power as when I floor the pedal in auto. Either that or I'm waiting too long to shift up, but I don't shift until about 4.5/5k and that's usually where most of the power starts to kick in... right?

Most times that I do go into sport mode is when I pop it into manual. Though I've always felt like the Corolla's first gear never has as much power as when I floor the pedal in auto. Either that or I'm waiting too long to shift up, but I don't shift until about 4.5/5k and that's usually where most of the power starts to kick in... right?
peak power (132 hp) hits at 6k. and yes there are 3 different gear ratios for Eco, Sport, and Manual.

I have a 14 LE automatic. You floor it, it goes! I use the "S" gear most of the time and I turn off the traction and that other feature, whatever it's called. Press traction button for 5 seconds and watch the dash for lights.
This makes the car WAY more fun!

I have a 14 LE automatic. You floor it, it goes! I use the "S" gear most of the time and I turn off the traction and that other feature, whatever it's called. Press traction button for 5 seconds and watch the dash for lights.
This makes the car WAY more fun!
I am yet to disable the traction control and give it a spin! Might try that today... Didn't know that you could hold down VSC button for 5 seconds to completely disable it.

S or Sport mode or higher RPM, FUN and SPIRITED driving. these are the common reasons. where else we are going to use this? -- like Raza Waqif is saying.

I don't think any variant has both mode... S has "Sport mode" button, LE Eco+ has "Eco mode" button. Maybe you're talking S on transmission and/or Eco light that monitor driving and illuminates when consuming less.
I use it on twisty or/and hilly roads and in around traffic, they are great how they are with extenders attached and being a CVT that thing switches speed/gear ratios not gears quickly. I'd rather have a CVT anyday over any other transmission so far, wish there was a way to play with tcm, ecm and tcs.

Can someone come up with this term, CVT's don't exactly shift gears, so what do we call it then when switching gears, lol

Last edited:
I'd rather have a CVT anyday over any other transmission so far
Can someone come up with this term, CVT's don't exactly shift gears, so what do we call it then when switching gears, lol
Same here ! CVTi-S (intelligent shift) for the transmission. More a description then a name but Toyota itself label the “gears”: “gears” (including the inverted commas) or shift points.

If you're referring to the way it seems to shift gears during hard accelration, like a normal automatic, with the tachometer going up and down, those are generally called "fake shift points".

The normal function of just changing the ratio of input to output, via manual input or automatically, I don't know what that's called.

If you're referring to the way it seems to shift gears during hard accelration, like a normal automatic, with the tachometer going up and down, those are generally called "fake shift points".

The normal function of just changing the ratio of input to output, via manual input or automatically, I don't know what that's called.
Technically only manual transmissions have gears, all others have applications to gear ratios, these are all automatic and CVT transmissions. Though Honda's tranny has gears yet still shifts like the rest of automatics. I may slightly be wrong.

I use S on hilly back roads for more control. Easier control over handling

I've used the "sport button" about 4 times and I have had the car since new, 3 years. Waiting to get Pedal Commander to see how much of a difference that will make.