How To Replace Automatic Transmission Filter & Flush Video

Nice contribution. Thank you! I gave your video a thumbs up. :)

Tip; whenever you are working with automotive fluids, oil or in this case transmission fluid, it's a good idea to keep that stuff off of your skin as it can cause cancer. You can get a box of 30 neoprene rubber gloves from Walmart for about $5. Beware of using gasket sealer with an automatic transmission, as it can seep out on the inside of the transmission and plug up very small passageways inside. If that happens, it's major money for a rebuild. I'm not sure if you're aware, but most of the transmission fluid is inside the torque convertor and if that isn't flushed out or drained, then the only fluid that gets changed is what's inside the transmission pan, which is usually about 3-4 quarts. Some torque convertors have a drain bolt, while others don't and will need to be flushed to remove the old fluid.

It also might be worth mentioning that depending on which year Corolla this is, it will require transmission fluid meeting the Toyota Type T-III or Type T-IV performance specification, (check the owners manual for the proper rated fluid). Not all transmission fluids can meet these performance specifications.

Last edited:

MattH

I just bought A Corolla and It didnt come with a manual. I've been searching for some info on this subject. I was wondering If I need the special Toyota fluid, and if the filter is a normal unbolt/ bolt on type. Thanks.

Last edited:

kyoo

Nice contribution. Thank you! I gave your video a thumbs up. :)

Tip; whenever you are working with automotive fluids, oil or in this case transmission fluid, it's a good idea to keep that stuff off of your skin as it can cause cancer. You can get a box of 30 neoprene rubber gloves from Walmart for about $5. Beware of using gasket sealer with an automatic transmission, as it can seep out on the inside of the transmission and plug up very small passageways inside. If that happens, it's major money for a rebuild. I'm not sure if you're aware, but most of the transmission fluid is inside the torque convertor and if that isn't flushed out or drained, then the only fluid that gets changed is what's inside the transmission pan, which is usually about 3-4 quarts. Some torque convertors have a drain bolt, while others don't and will need to be flushed to remove the old fluid.

It also might be worth mentioning that depending on which year Corolla this is, it will require transmission fluid meeting the Toyota Type T-III or Type T-IV performance specification, (check the owners manual for the proper rated fluid). Not all transmission fluids can meet these performance specifications.
yeesh thanks for the cancer scare lol. i'm kinda confused how much ATF my '07 Corolla's gonna need - the Amsoil site's kinda confusing. I might just use the WS from the dealer though, seems like that is the preferred way to go for people on bitog