I Can Really Use Some Help - Opinion on Toyota Fading Fast

moose500

Corolla S 5-Speed
Long story short... Live just outside San Jose, CA. Commute into SJ everyday. In 2011, sold the SUV and bought a Corolla based on it's reliability. White Corolla S, standard transmission. It's 3 years old now and at 61,000 miles, just 1,000 miles out of powertrain, it's grinding in the throw from 2nd to 3rd gear on cold starts.

Brought car to Toyota dealer in San Jose. They diagnosed for free. Worst case scenario is a new tranny at $3,700!!! They said it could just be the synchro but wouldn't confirm. They also told me they would provide me two estimates but only gave me the most expensive one stating that was "worst case scenario." I asked about helping me out since it's only 1,000 miles out of warranty. They said no and one reason given was because I didn't get my car serviced with them exclusively.

I called Toyota and opened a claim. All they did was call the dealer and mimic the dealer's sentiment. Why bother filing a claim?

I am deeply upset as I bought this car because it was a symbol of reliability. I would have NEVER bought this car if I knew I would have to put in a new transmission at just over 60,000 miles and John at Toyota customer care agreed. I feel as though Toyota has completely turned their back to me and couldn't care less.

Again, I am in San Jose. I am going to get the car fixed and from there I'm not sure yet. I will not give Toyota another penny of my money. Does anyone know any good shops where I can get the tranny/synchro fixed and not get raped in the process?

Thank you...

Moose :(

Before you do anything, check the halfshaft seals for leaks, and check the transmission fluid level. Sometimes cold grinds are caused by that. Otherwise, I'd call Aamco and ask them.

Sucks about the car, but it does happen. Toyota should have taken care of you or at least looked at covering half, especially since maintenance has nothing to do with a manual transmission.

3,000 miles outside my bumper to bumper my iginition lock cylinder froze in my Ford Focus, and Jones West Ford of Reno covered half of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a vehicle needs an expensive extended warranty, it's not a very good vehicle. Extended warranties are a good deal, for the company selling them.

Extended Warranties from Toyota are appealing. Third party extended warranties often have deductibles with repair limits, which means you get stuck with used parts.

Moose500 - I recommend taking your car to an independent transmission shop to have them evaluate the situation and make a recommendation for you. What you are being told could be entirely incorrect and could be something as simple as the transmission fluid being low.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
imagine it can be something as simple as a a filter clogged, or a screen . can be one of the cutch sensors.

keep us posted, most sure you are way ahead of us on this

No filter in manual transmissions, or screens, and the clutch pedal position switches are only used in the starter circuit (fully disengaged) and cruise control circuit (fully engaged).

I would say, with those kind of miles, and this kind of problem, the person before you did not know how to drive a manual transmission.

I would start with a trans and filter change. This may help you out - I doubt it though. Toyota doesn't even recommend a trans change till 60,000. I have a Camry in the family that has 200,000 and has never had a trans change.

You might just be dealing with inexperienced clutch driver :-(