I Hate Toyota

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
.So I decided today I was going to change my sway bar links up front. So I get my Allen keys and 14mm wrench get the wheel off and go to start loosening and would you believe it the god dang Allen key strips first turn so I have to spend over two hours trying to figure it out and finally have to use a grinding wheel and cut clean thru the bolt. So what I'm getting at here is why the hell do they have to put an Allen key instead of what the Moog links use. The good part is the clunking is gone.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
not a bolt

No the bolts were fine but Allen keys on a car are just stupid they are to small and flimsy I know how old it is and what that does to bolts I did not have an issue with the bolts. I'm not saying that Toyota is only one that does it but there is really no need to use a Allen key is a situation were it is pretty much guaranteed to strip. I have worked on many old cars many older than this in worse shape and never stripped a bolt but every time I run into Allen keys in a car they always strip. Morale of the story is use Allen keys are made for bunk beds not cars

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help but one make sure youre allen key fits close any play can lead to tearing up the bolt Second and very key to vehicles that start to show their age seat the allen key then tap it with a hammer this not only seatsthe key better but will loosen the threads. if you do this you should have no problem takeing them out.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I did the other side today and tried doing what you said and also used wd40 while it did work a little better the Allen key did still strip about two turns in but I ripped out the bushing cleared out all grease and took a saw blade and roughed up the inside of the joint to give a gripping point and it worked beautifully. Car rides like a dream no clunks. Next thing is new hoses all the way around and coil wires plus a full coolant flush and and full trans flush and filter change. I know seems a little excessive but I like knowing that my cars are ready to drive cross country at anytime pending just an oil change

Good to see you really take care of your cars!:thumbsup:

I have step by step instructions on how to do a transmission flush, if you wish.

"...pending just an oil change"? I change my AMSOIL synthetic motor oil once per year, out of town trips or not. :thumbup1:

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Nope I will not be doing the coolant flush hoses or trans that will be my mechanic that has 35 years experience a trans is one spot I'm not comfy touching if something goes wrong he fully covers all labor and parts. And while its in there he will be doing the coolant flush and all hoses the car has. I will be doing the wires myself. The car has 117k and the owner before me had it garaged and maintained it meticulously it cane from him with brand new belts and distributor cap and the car has no dents dings Knicks or rust and also has been coated on the undercarriage with rust inhibitor so zero rust I hit it lucky and plan to take this thing over 300k easy shooting for 500k

Carlile92 - I salute you in your efforts in taking care of your car! You are very wise!

Do you have any pictures of your Corolla that you can share with the forum?

I have been in the automotive repair/maintenance and synthetic oil industry for close to thirty years and on almost a daily basis I witness people who don't take care of their vehicles and then blame the vehicle when it breaks down! :eek::thumbdown: Amazing.

For most people a vehicle is the second most expensive purchase they will ever make in their lives, aside from their home, and yet many people will go cheap on the maintenance of that expensive vehicle. Go figure. :blink: This is the more costly choice to make as it always ends up with the vehicle needing more frequent and more expensive repairs than a vehicle that is maintained very well, like your Corolla. :thumbsup:

To help you out, your 1997 Toyota Corolla has the Toyota recommended and preferred engine oil viscosity of 5W-30. I also recommend changing the power steering fluid to protect the rack and pinion unit. The recommended fluid for it is Dexron-III automatic transmission fluid.

Back in 1997 the Toyota recommended transmission performance rating type was Type T-III, which has since been superseded by Type T-IV. The Type T-III transmission fluid will still work, (if you can still find it anywhere), but the replacement Type T-IV is a better transmission fluid and is backwards compatible with the Type T-III fluid.

A high quality Wix automatic transmission filter kit is a part # 51394, (as long as it is the three speed auto transmission), and I strongly encourage you to use a high quality transmission filter kit such as Wix. The vast majority of auto parts stores offer made in China, "quality", cheap transmission filter kits and when we consider the very high price of over $2,000 for a transmission these days it particularly can be a very costly choice to use a cheap transmission filter kit.

For you and all Corolla Forum members, I get you the savings of wholesale prices for all AMSOIL products, (the same prices I pay as a Dealer), with a Preferred Customer membership. This saves you about 30% off of retail prices.

500,000 miles is very possible for a well maintained car. How would you like to go a million miles or more? :)

930,599-Mile Engine - 1 Million Mile Van (G2578)
Introduced in July 2008, the 930,599-Mile Van brochure (G2578) features independent analysis and photos of internal engine parts from a 1999 Chevy Express delivery van that accumulated 930,599 miles using AMSOIL products.

Last edited:
By the way, when it comes to maintenance and repairs with your Corolla, I understand where you are coming from. I'm right there with you. But with average everyday cars, the final product is more determined by an accountant than an engineer. A Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, etc., have their designs influenced by accountants and wherever costs can be trimmed, that will be done. With higher priced cars like a BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, etc., it's the engineers who determine how the car will be manufactured/designed and the accountants are told to go back to their offices with their calculators!

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
It is the 4 speed and I am not worried he knows me and will be role only genuine Toyota fluid and all top of the line stuff and I did go and upload a couple pics they are in my album

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
And as far as BMW building a better car have you ever tried to repair one on your own if you don't have a multi million dollar computer your pretty much Sol I will take stripped bolts over a dumb expensive repair bill. My other car is a Chrysler 200 v6 and every time I drive the rolla I appreciate all 283hp and every time I drive the 200 I appreciate 35 mpg of the rolla. I am a huge advocate of maintenance because I have 63k on the 200 and I beat the ever living hell out of it spin tires and all race it track it you name it and not one issue with it just change my oil and always check everything...... PS still under 100k warranty only reason I do what I do and it will be traded in when it does hit 100k but will still have the rolla

"Genuine" stock parts, are, well, stock. There are always improvements that can be made over stock parts, which is why we see so many millions of motorists modifying their cars for better performance, handling, braking, etc. If you want top of the line, you want AMSOIL.

The AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Automatic Transmission fluid outperforms other fluids and at the prices I can get you, costs less to boot - http://www.amsoil.com/shop/find/product/atf?zo=349698

AMSOIL formulated the worlds first 100% synthetic ATF way back in the late 1970's and has more experience with synthetic ATF's than any other company in the world.

Las Vegas Taxi Cab Field Study (G3118) (1.5MB PDF)
A Las Vegas taxi’s transmission and engine revealed virtually no harmful sludge or wear after 100,000 miles of severe service.

Protects Against Thermal Breakdown
Signature Series Synthetic ATF is formulated with high concentrations of antioxidants, making it naturally heat resistant. As a result, it provides outstanding protection against sludge and varnish deposits that clog narrow oil passages and contribute to clutch glazing. After 100,000 miles in severe service, fluid analysis revealed Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF contained 41 percent of its original oxidation inhibitors, proving its long-lasting resistance to thermal breakdown.
Outstanding Wear Protection
Varying speeds and loads causes torque multiplication and extreme stress on gears and bearings. AMSOIL formulated Signature Series Synthetic ATF with high film strength and premium anti-wear/extreme-pressure additives to help prevent wear during severe service. In the industry-standard FZG Gear Wear Test, Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF that had been used for 100,000 severe-service miles achieved a “Pass” at stage 12 – the highest stage. The results exceeded the Ford MERCON V and Chrysler ATF+4 specifications for new fluid, demonstrating the lubricant's long-lasting wear protection.
Cold-Temperature Fluidity
Cold, thick automatic transmission fluid lengthens shift times and reduces fuel economy. Signature Series Synthetic ATF is wax-free and delivers extraordinary cold-flow properties (< -60°F pour point). It helps improve shift response, energy efficiency and warm-up times.
Friction Durability
Today’s transmissions are smaller and must withstand higher horsepower and torque while delivering smoother shifts, all with longer fluid life recommendations. AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic ATF is formulated with friction modifier additives that deliver outstanding clutch-holding capacity (static friction), torque-transfer ability (dynamic friction) and anti-shudder properties (slipping torque-converter clutches). Analysis reveals that after 100,000 miles in severe service, Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF provides nearly identical friction properties as new fluid for smooth, reliable shifts.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Okay bud you got me curious what price can you get me for all the trans fluid I will need plus a high quality filter after shipping and compared to dealer prices and it is the 1.8 4 speed w/of not 3 speed and as far as oil changes I will never go a year even with the highest quality oil I live in mass which is dead in the snow belt and tests are good and all but real life is a lot different and 0 degree temps destroy even the best oil. And I also leave my car idling for hours due to me having a dog and I need to keep her cool in the summer and warm in the winter and I feel better knowing I have fresh oil so as far as that goes please do give up on the motor oil for a full year pep talks it will not work lol

My Mom's ex works at a Toyota dealership. Had a Scion Tc come in with 60,000 miles and a hole in the block. He said the guy never changed the oil and there was sludge all over. I don't get how you would buy a new car and not maintain it (guessing the parents bought it for him).

Crazy part was Toyota honored the warranty. He even told them it blew from neglect but they covered it anyway.

Well, when you don't change it for 60,000 miles ... it has a habit of starving the engine and causing it to eject connecting rods, LOL!

It shouldn't have been covered, the owner was a moron, but they did anyway.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Exactly being a oil dealer you should more then know that your promoting high quality oil to prevent things like that why would you ask that kind of question makes me question your expertise in your field seems like you just read a ton of internet articles and post.... sorry to sound harsh but if I'm wrong please tell me

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Now you see why I will not go a year without oil changes I put 25k a year on my cars with excessive idling in between in extreme heat and extreme cold that is so hard on oil

Well, when you don't change it for 60,000 miles ... it has a habit of starving the engine and causing it to eject connecting rods, LOL!

It shouldn't have been covered, the owner was a moron, but they did anyway.
You never mentioned anything about a connecting rod. The way you worded it is that the oil somehow at a hole into the engine block, which would be impossible of course. lol :D

Now you see why I will not go a year without oil changes I put 25k a year on my cars with excessive idling in between in extreme heat and extreme cold that is so hard on oil
25,000 miles or one year is a walk in the park for AMSOIL synthetic motor oils. :thumbsup:

BMW recommends oil change intervals of 15,000 miles or one year.

Porsche has 20,000 mile or two year oil change intervals.

How about 409,000 miles? :eek: :) :yes: "Oh my gosh! That's insane! That's impossible!" Are we sure of that? Watch the video below to find out the truth. As they say, seeing is believing. :):yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
25,000 miles or one year is a walk in the park for AMSOIL synthetic motor oils.

BMW recommends oil change intervals of 15,000 miles or one year.

Porsche has 20,000 mile or two year oil change intervals.

How about 409,000 miles? :eek: :) :yes: "Oh my gosh! That's insane! That's impossible!" Are we sure of that? Watch the video below to find out the truth. As they say, seeing is believing. :):yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
carlile92 - The point I'm making is BMW, Toyota or Yugo, etc., the technology that AMSOIL Inc. pioneered makes safe, extended drain intervals a reality and has ever since 1972 when AMSOIL formulated the worlds first 100% synthetic API qualified motor oil that just happened to come with a 25,000 mile/1 year recommended and warranteed drain interval. That was over 40 years ago and millions upon millions of road miles later with outstanding results. Changing AMSOIL prematurely is tantamount to changing a radial tire at the same mileage we would have done with a bias ply tire. Sure you can do it, but there's simply no need. :thumbsup: :)

Are other oils capable of the drain intervals that AMSOIL synthetics are? The simple answer is, no. Only AMSOIL offers that technology.

But there's much more to the story than just drain intervals. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils offer improvements in fuel economy, a cooler running engine, increased power/better throttle response, reduced emissions, an internally cleaner engine, reduced wear/an engine that runs "like new" for a longer period of time, easier winter starts, superior cold and hot engine protection and other benefits as well. In improved fuel economy alone, using AMSOIL saves me so much money ever year that even if someone provided a different brand of oil for free it would still cost me more to use than AMSOIL. So at whatever drain interval you are comfortable with, that's fine as all the other benefits still apply. :thumbup1: If you want your Corolla to last as long as possible, (with the added benefit of saving money in reduced maintenance and repair costs at the same time), AMSOIL synthetic lubricants are what you want.

AMSOIL also offers standard drain interval oils that are much lower in price than competing synthetic oils, yet the quality is second to none. I'll send you a PM. :)

Last edited: