I need help to choose right viscosity of engine oil 2011 toyota corolla

Hi and welcome all you guys
this my first post here im so glad to join this forum
I have a 2011 toyota corolla 1.6 liter
The engine generation is 1zr fe
I just need help how to choose the right viscosity of engine oil
the temprature in my city varies between 20 c (68F) in the winter and 45 c (113F) in the summer !
I have heard about motorcraft engine oils and its high quality
There r 3 types of motor craft oil
1/ conventional oils
2/synthetic blend oils
3/full synthetic oils
And of course full synthetic is the best to keep engine from damage and keep it clean
but unfortunately motircraft oil dosent have synthetic oil for all diffrent viscosities
i will type the available motorcraft oil viscosities as i read it on motorcraft official site

1/Motorcraft® SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

2/ Motorcraft® SAE 10W-40 Premium Motor Oil

3/ Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

4/ Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

5/ Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

6/ Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

7/

Motorcraft® SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

briar

None of the above,

Your engine is designed for 0w20 with a GF5 rating
I recommend Toyota synthetic due to its 215 VI rating, even more important with your high temps.

most of the viscosities you listed may cause damage, some of them severe.
Viscosity is the single most important oil characteristic.

Briar
ICML MLAII

Thanks very much for help.
I never can use 0w20 this is impodsible with very high tempratures in summer !

What is the viscosity of toyota synthetic u recommend ?
For example 10w30 , 10w40 ... etc ?

Also what is 215 vi rating ? I heard it for the first time !
What is the diffrence between 215 vi rating and the sae and api ratings ?

please show me some photo of the oil bottle with its viscosity.

Thanks alot .

briar

VI is viscosity index, it is a numerical scale indicating how well the lubricant maintains viscosity from 0c to 100c, the higher the number the better the oil is at maintaining its viscosity.

at 215 Toyota's synthetic is considerably higher than most oils on the market, even AMSOIL is only 165 if I remember correctly

The viscosity the manufacturer recommends is based on the velocity, loading, clearances and temperatures of the moving parts.
Excessive viscosity can reduce oil flow, cause filter bypass, increase operating temperatures, decrease fuel economy etc.

Inadequate viscosity can result in boundary layer lubrication under load

the trend over the last couple decades or so is to build tighter, more efficient, longer lasting engines that as a result, require lower viscosity lubricants.

the 2018 Toyotas are planned to recommend the new GF-6a rated 0w16

Remember, even though it may be 113f outside, your engine's thermostat and cooling system still tries to maintain a constant engine temp of 195f or so depending on model

What does your manual say to use in your temperatures?
It should have specific recommendations

That is what I would follow.

Briar
ICML MLAII

Last edited:
Im realy suprised dear briar
You are an expert at this topic :))

I understood what you said
Higher viscosity lower viscosity not ok for a motor
2 last decades cars companies make internal engine parts tighter so it needs lighter oil
But im still not brave use 0w20 viscosity oil in tempratures range between 18 c inwinter to 45 c in summer or even 50 c ! :) hahaha
The most degree record was 53 c !!! 2 years ago :))

I would ask about vi rating
You said toyota synthetic 0w20 viscosity 215 can work between 40c and 100c
What does it mean
does it mean climate tempratur ?
or Does it mean engine internal temprature when its running

The manual book unfortunately i burned it when i bought the car :)))
I was 18 years old i did nt know if it was important for owner :))

im realy confused !
I feel 10w30 or 5w30 is ok for my crazy engine
What do you think about 5w50 ?

Do you mean toyota 0w20 synthetic oil acts better in a degree varies between 20c to 45c ?
what about 10w30 or 5w30 synthetic oils ?
Are these viscosities available under toyota synthetic oils ?

Do you mean toyota 0w20 synthetic oil acts better in a degree varies between 20c to 45c ?

Good resource on understanding Viscosity Index: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Articles/Print/28956

Mr. Faisal, you really need to check with Toyota on what viscosity is best for your conditions.
What seems like just numbers can have a dramatic effect on the life of your engine, whether you will get 100,000km or maybe 400,000km or more out of an engine.

If you don't have the owners manual, maybe visit or call a dealer in your area and ask their maintenance department.
I'm giving you the best advice I can, I'm can't tell you 5w50 is ok because I don't know.
Here (USA) Toyota recommends 0w20 and if it is not available for whatever reason 5w20 may be used temporarily, but the 5w20 should be changed out as soon as possible.

It may be the right choice under your operating conditions, I just don't have enough data to know.

The importance of using the proper viscosity makes finding the correct information from Toyota worth the effort.

U r right :)
I must visit a toyota dealer im sure they have manual book
I thanks u a lot a lot for ur help dear

I also need help to buy oem toyota parts

I need a carton (bag) of oil filters
Also i need a gasoline filter
Also i would buy 2 cartons of toyota synthetic engine oil
I would buy it online
Do you recommend me a good cheap trusted website that i can buy toyota oem parts ?

Wow i just have checked the link u posted
Very very useful !
I know what i need now
It says you need high vi if theres many changes in temparature , speed etc
If it get higher you need higher vi number !

Please dear briar tell me what are the most high vi synthetic oils in market ?
Is the toyota synthetic 215 vi rating oil ok ?
What are the sites that selling oem original that oil because its not available where i live

Im realy greatful to you mr briar
You realy made a favor to me !

You're welcome Mr. Faisal,

Toyota's 0w20's 215 viscosity index is the best I know of.
While you might find something higher, there is a point of diminishing returns.

The USA source I use is: http://daytonatoyota.com/forms/order-parts?masterpage=car-service
They are a little more expensive than some other sources, but anytime I've had issues with an order a single email is all it took.

Shipping a case of oil overseas will be very expensive.
You may try finding a source in Germany, UK or Australia if they are closer.

Briar
ICML MLA II

it says in the cap 0w20? use it. your engine can take some other oil types but it wont perform as with the tested and recommended oil type. do not experiment, if you're not a mechanic. :) or is it because these ones you mentioned are $ to 3$ cheaper?

I did not found on the cap it says 0w20 it just says oil engine .
It s not about price
Its about climate its very hot here
I found a manual book for the same car as mine and i took a photo for the recommendations of toyota for oil viscosity
It says you can use 0w20 or 5w30 or or 10w30 ... etc
I will put the photos here and i will let you post your comments here

Mr. Faisal,

Your manual is clear in its recommendations for where you live. I would still choose the lower viscosity of those you feel comfortable with and compare viscosity index on the options you have available.

just as an example:
Lets assume you had two options either a 5w30 with a VI of 200 or 10w30 with a VI of 150
If those were my two options I would recommend the 5w30 because it would maintain its viscosity better.

The chart seems to indicate any of the options would work on the upper temperature, its the lower end that would cause you problems. As a rule of thumb you want to go by 20f lower than the lowest expected temperature.

I do not recommend that you use a synthetic blend... stay with full synthetics
There is no standard on what ratio constitutes a synthetic blend, it could be 50% synthetic of it may be 5%, you just don't know.

Synthetics by design have many advantages over non synthetic.
Lower friction, increased resistance to oxidation, higher VI, etc.

I know it says it should be fine, but 20w50 just seems too viscous to me.

My recommendation based on your information would be

Full synthetic 10w40 with at least the following ratings: ILSAC GF-5, API SN

and well done on getting the correct documentation

From that "temp range vs oil type" diagram it is quite clear that 0w20 simply has a wider range of working temps. All other oils have shorter temperature range (limited on the lowest end).

In other words, if the temperature range is of any concern, 0w20 should be an automatic choice.

edit: made a correction - for some oil types, range is only limited at the lowest temps.

Last edited:
Mr. Faisal,

Your manual is clear in its recommendations for where you live. I would still choose the lower viscosity of those you feel comfortable with and compare viscosity index on the options you have available.

just as an example:
Lets assume you had two options either a 5w30 with a VI of 200 or 10w30 with a VI of 150
If those were my two options I would recommend the 5w30 because it would maintain its viscosity better.

The chart seems to indicate any of the options would work on the upper temperature, its the lower end that would cause you problems. As a rule of thumb you want to go by 20f lower than the lowest expected temperature.

I do not recommend that you use a synthetic blend... stay with full synthetics
There is no standard on what ratio constitutes a synthetic blend, it could be 50% synthetic of it may be 5%, you just don't know.

Synthetics by design have many advantages over non synthetic.
Lower friction, increased resistance to oxidation, higher VI, etc.

I know it says it should be fine, but 20w50 just seems too viscous to me.

My recommendation based on your information would be

Full synthetic 10w40 with at least the following ratings: ILSAC GF-5, API SN

and well done on getting the correct documentation
Very nice man
Is there a toyota oil with vi 215 rather than 0w20
Or is it jjust available for 0w20 ?
Can u show a picture ?
Thanks very much

From that "temp range vs oil type" diagram it is quite clear that 0w20 simply has a wider range of working temps. All other oils have shorter temperature range (limited on the lowest end).

In other words, if the temperature range is of any concern, 0w20 should be an automatic choice.

edit: made a correction - for some oil types, range is only limited at the lowest temps.
Thank u very much friend

Use 0w-20 Toyota synthetic oil. I'm turbocharging my 2009 Corolla and I was told to continue to use the same oil even with the turbo and the extra heat it produces. The only thing they recommended was to shorten my OCI back down to every 5k miles.

Use 0w-20 Toyota synthetic oil. I'm turbocharging my 2009 Corolla and I was told to continue to use the same oil even with the turbo and the extra heat it produces. The only thing they recommended was to shorten my OCI back down to every 5k miles.

Thank you very much fiend
I think i would use the 0w20 toyota synthetic oil
Thank you guys .

I think this schedule very useful for all to choose the right oil
I think the 0w20 toyota synthetic oil is the best choice between them

But im very little confused about the very lightness of the 0w20 toyota synthetic oil
I feel its very light and may evaporate in high temprature climates above 40c

I would mr. Briar explain to me this point or any member

Thank you guys
Good job

Attachments

But im very little confused about the very lightness of the 0w20 toyota synthetic oil

Thank you guys
Good job View attachment 1965

Thank you guys
Good job
Evaporate? 40C? But your engine still runs at 80-90C anyway. I mean, normal op engine temp is the same regardless of the temp of the environment. It just makes a cooling system work less hard or more depending on the amb. temperature.

I ll upload the schedule again
Evaporate? 40C? But your engine still runs at 80-90C anyway. I mean, normal op engine temp is the same regardless of the temp of the environment. It just makes a cooling system work less hard or more depending on the amb. temperature.

Verry nice guys
Thank u mr.sunamer
It s very clear guys
I ll use toyota 0w20 synthetic oil even in high tempratures above 40c

Theres an important point that the new cars of last 2 decades have a tighter internal structure
This is what my friend briar told

So it needs a lighter oil to lubricate the engine well .

Thank you guys
Good job View attachment 1965

Mr. Faisal,

For the oil to be certified ILSAC GF-5 and API-SN its evaporation rate must be less than 15%
So this should be a non issue really

Here is Toyota's own website:
http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7627/related/1

If you want to learn more about the GF-5 standard:
http://passenger.lubrizoladditives360.com/specifications/gf-5/#Testing

Based on what I know, I use Toyota's GF-5 0w20 synthetic in my 2011 Corolla 1.8L

Mr. Faisal

at least some info on that chart is not realistic, take it with a grain of salt

The pour point of Toyota 0w20 should be more along the lines of -65f, not -17f
As a rule of thumb pout point needs to be 20f lower than the lowest expected temperature.
Before pour point is reached there is cloud point.... so you want that 20f buffer as a minimum

one of the big advantages of synthetics is their excellent low temperature performance

:)