I want to increase my New Corolla 1.8 HP...

I just bought Corolla 1.8L 2ZR-FE CVT engine. Currently it has 138HP/64000RPM, I want to increase its HP towards to 165-175HP. I thought Unichip will help but after reviewing it, it max goes up to 10-15HP increase. Any idea from you guys would help.. Is there any turbo Kit or any other performance parts can I get to increase its horsepower?? Plz do help

I just bought Corolla 1.8L 2ZR-FE CVT engine. Currently it has 138HP/64000RPM, I want to increase its HP towards to 165-175HP. I thought Unichip will help but after reviewing it, it max goes up to 10-15HP increase. Any idea from you guys would help.. Is there any turbo Kit or any other performance parts can I get to increase its horsepower?? Plz do help
Good luck with that ... Do you have a cvt ? Of course you do ... Lol there's not much you can do but just buy a sports car

I would not do anything performance wise. Keep in mind that even running a chip will potentially void your warranty. You can try running a performance intake along with a performance exhaust like the Borla or TRD, but that combined is probably good for about 5hp at most. If you do an intake, stay away from the oiled gauze filters as they have the potential to cause serious problems. Since you live in Pakistan, I am also going to assume that you have lots of dust and silicates blowing around which can easily get through oiled filters like the K&N or S&B. This is because oiled gauze filters have significantly lowered filtering efficiency which allows bigger particles to get through that your standard pleated factory style filters trap.

As for doing any serious performance modifications, your CVT pretty much limits you.

I would not do anything performance wise. Keep in mind that even running a chip will potentially void your warranty. You can try running a performance intake along with a performance exhaust like the Borla or TRD, but that combined is probably good for about 5hp at most. If you do an intake, stay away from the oiled gauze filters as they have the potential to cause serious problems. Since you live in Pakistan, I am also going to assume that you have lots of dust and silicates blowing around which can easily get through oiled filters like the K&N or S&B. This is because oiled gauze filters have significantly lowered filtering efficiency which allows bigger particles to get through that your standard pleated factory style filters trap.

As for doing any serious performance modifications, your CVT pretty much limits you.
Really a good explanation as not to do any changes to your car.

rk97

If your engine is spinning to 64,000 RPM, it's already got a lot of work done to it ;-)

There's an old saying in racing: "Fast, cheap, reliable - you only get to choose two." The stock corolla is cheap and reliable. If you want to make it fast, you're going to lose one of those two attributes.

The cheapest way to add meaningful power is with a nitrous kit. You'll want a "wet" kit to keep your engine from blowing up. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=toyota+corolla+nitrous+oxide+kit

You can do plenty of other things to make your car faster, but Horsepower per dollar, nitrous will be the best value. A lighter, freer breathing exhaust and a good engine tune won't hurt either, but then your car is going to sound like every 90's civic in a high school parking lot, spewing noise from its fart-can exhaust...

For the same money that it would cost you to "tune" your Corolla, you could buy an inexpensive motorcycle that will be a TON faster stock... **edit - I didn't see where you were posting from. Is there a tiered licensing structure for motorcycles? The used bike market may not be as cheap as I had expected. In the states, you can pick up a 13 second bike for under a grand...

if i want extra performance on my corolla, i would just remove all seats & replace driver's seat with camaro-carbon seat, seatbelts and pretensioners, carpet, glove box door panel, spare tire, scissors jack, and flat-tire tool kit, door panels, engine hood and trunk door panels, dont spray underneath floor, use an alum alloy rims and TRD brakes. i may probably replacing my ending hood with an 800$-carbon-engine hood, probably modify front bumpers to accomodate aircool to my front brakes, and remove all air-bags, whatelse can we remove? :)

Not sure if this is even possible.... but it would be AWESOME.....
Imagine a Camry V6 installed in a Corolla! 268HP in a Corolla would be one amazingly speedy vehicle, but I would imagine a lot of custom fabrication would be involved and the driving dynamics would be an issue with the added weight, chassis and braking ability to keep up with the power, etc.

Maybe Toyota should consider that down the road - something like an Corolla S-V6.

rk97

Not sure if this is even possible.... but it would be AWESOME.....
Imagine a Camry V6 installed in a Corolla! 268HP in a Corolla would be one amazingly speedy vehicle, but I would imagine a lot of custom fabrication would be involved and the driving dynamics would be an issue with the added weight, chassis and braking ability to keep up with the power, etc.

Maybe Toyota should consider that down the road - something like an Corolla S-V6.
With enough money, it's possible. A friend of mine just dropped a Camry V6 into his MR-2.

Depending on what year corolla, don't be so sure the Camry engine would add weight. The Camry V6 weighs less than the turbo I-4 that he removed from the MR-2.

if i want extra performance on my corolla, i would just remove all seats & replace driver's seat with camaro-carbon seat, seatbelts and pretensioners, carpet, glove box door panel, spare tire, scissors jack, and flat-tire tool kit, door panels, engine hood and trunk door panels, dont spray underneath floor, use an alum alloy rims and TRD brakes. i may probably replacing my ending hood with an 800$-carbon-engine hood, probably modify front bumpers to accomodate aircool to my front brakes, and remove all air-bags, whatelse can we remove? :)
I'm detecting some sarcasm, but some of the more practical ideas you propose aren't irrelevant.

Performance seats would almost definitely save a considerable amount of weight, as would a CF hood and running without a spare tire. I could legitimately remove the front passenger seat from my car and rarely miss it... I think my wife would be annoyed with sitting in the back, but she'd enjoy the leg room! I've seriously considered removing the passenger seat and trying to fit my XR100 inside the 'rolla for long trips to tracks that are out of state.

I'm detecting some sarcasm, but some of the more practical ideas you propose aren't irrelevant.

Performance seats would almost definitely save a considerable amount of weight, as would a CF hood and running without a spare tire. I could legitimately remove the front passenger seat from my car and rarely miss it... I think my wife would be annoyed with sitting in the back, but she'd enjoy the leg room! I've seriously considered removing the passenger seat and trying to fit my XR100 inside the 'rolla for long trips to tracks that are out of state.
i apologize to what i've written, yes, you may say there's sarcasm in there, and this is a forum, but i put a little smiley in there if you know what it means.

if a person needs a performance, you need to deal with the reality , right? without so much expenses, you need/must/can sacrifice convenience to performance by
removing some stuff, before you add some stuff (especially to the engine part). im sure rk97, you are familiar with rally cars, thats one example why i said those parts removal thing.

probably, sarcasm is what i suggest, we should have gotten an FRS, or SCION TC or a LEXUS. or a CAMRY w/ V engine. im not saying we do these things that i've said. what i am trying to tell to the guys need performance from a COROLLA, well, those are the things that they can do, without compromising and void warranty on your powertrain. probably, you may want to consider lowering a bit more of the suspension to accommodate dive and lateral vehicle action in motion plus its a beauty.

is that sarcasm still to you rk97?

It actually sounds like we're on the same page. There are a ton of things you CAN do to almost any car, but it's usually cheaper and easier to just save your money and find a car that's faster to begin with. The TC would be a good example. 2.4 I-4 with a TRD turbo that bolts right up ...and I would guess it's still not as quick as the V6 Camry. Incidentally, I looked up acceleration statistics on the 2012 Camry during a discussion with a coworker about the Magnum P.I. Ferrari. I claimed the Toyota was likely as quick, if not quicker to 60 mph. It was very close.

I use my Corolla to drive me to work, home, and errands. I have my eye on the 2016 Camaro 2SS if I want to go fast. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds??? Wtf. I won't buy a first gen though. I'd probably get a 2018-2019 one.

I use my Corolla to drive me to work, home, and errands. I have my eye on the 2016 Camaro 2SS if I want to go fast. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds??? Wtf. I won't buy a first gen though. I'd probably get a 2018-2019 one.
If you really want to go fast for cheap, look at motorcycles. The most expensive bike I have ever owned (I've had 6 counting the two I still own) cost me $3300. It would hit 60 mph in under 3 seconds in stock trim. I bought it as a race bike and only ever used it on road courses, but between the weight savings of removing all the street stuff, the titanium exhaust, engine tune, and larger rear sprocket, it was certainly capable for hitting 60 quicker than that, with a decent launch. That's the biggest variable for any acceleration time.

Even my $800 beater old-ass Suzuki will hit 60 in 3.9 seconds though. Cars just don't have a favorable power-to-weight ratio.

If you really want to go fast for cheap, look at motorcycles. The most expensive bike I have ever owned (I've had 6 counting the two I still own) cost me $3300. It would hit 60 mph in under 3 seconds in stock trim. I bought it as a race bike and only ever used it on road courses, but between the weight savings of removing all the street stuff, the titanium exhaust, engine tune, and larger rear sprocket, it was certainly capable for hitting 60 quicker than that, with a decent launch. That's the biggest variable for any acceleration time.

Even my $800 beater old-ass Suzuki will hit 60 in 3.9 seconds though. Cars just don't have a favorable power-to-weight ratio.
I've never been a motorcycle fan, unfortunately. I'm pretty tall at 6'6" and the fact that if I make one mistake, it could cost me my life or severely injure me. Cars are at least a bit safer in that aspect, but I don't drive them like a bat out of hell and traffic weave to cause an accident. Plus, the sound of that V8 roar is just awesome. Hard to turn down that.

rk97

at 6'6", you're going to fit on a bike better than you'll fit inside a Camaro!

I won't start a motorcycle safety debate in a car forum, but most everything worth doing involves some level of risk.

He should be able to get fairly comfortable inside the new Mustang. The Challenger should also be doable although those things are really heavy and thus negates a lot of their v8 power advantage.

Here is your answer

He should be able to get fairly comfortable inside the new Mustang. The Challenger should also be doable although those things are really heavy and thus negates a lot of their v8 power advantage.
They look freaking sweet compared to the other two though. Only one that still holds its old roots in style.

Yes, it sucks being tall. Trying cars on for size can be a heartbreaker. Corvettes are off my list forever because of this and also I'm not 50+ years old and drive it under the speed limit.

Well the Hellcat engine sure changed the game, but long term reliability of Chrysler cars scare me. What I love about the new Mustang is how it changed the pony car wars. Unlike the Camaro, it grew up. Ohh, and you can also actually see out of it.

Well the Hellcat engine sure changed the game, but long term reliability of Chrysler cars scare me. What I love about the new Mustang is how it changed the pony car wars. Unlike the Camaro, it grew up. Ohh, and you can also actually see out of it.
This is why we have blind spot monitors on the mirrors and backup cameras now! I'll agree, the visibility is still awful on the Camaro. I personally haven't gotten a chance to sit in a new Mustang to see how I fit. In the past, they were never tall friendly. One thing I do like about the GT is the sound and it looks pretty sweet. I'm just wondering how Ford is going to counter this new Camaro because it looks like the gap is growing between them in favor of the Camaro with the 2016 model. They failed on their promise of reducing the weight of the Mustang which was another issue. May be interesting to see what 2017-2018 has in store for both models.

Ford does not really need to do a lot. Ford has decided to mature their interpretation of the traditional pony car by offering a feel that is much easier to live with daily driving. Most drivers will never take their car to the track or drag strip anyway. While the Camaro is faster and more performance oriented, fast is fast when both cars hit the 1320 in the 12's. Ford's trump card will be their GT350 with the 8250 rpm flat plane crank v8. That will likely be the last v8 of its kind due to emissions regulations. It will be a great part of America's most famous pony car.

Ford does not really need to do a lot. Ford has decided to mature their interpretation of the traditional pony car by offering a feel that is much easier to live with daily driving. Most drivers will never take their car to the track or drag strip anyway. While the Camaro is faster and more performance oriented, fast is fast when both cars hit the 1320 in the 12's. Ford's trump card will be their GT350 with the 8250 rpm flat plane crank v8. That will likely be the last v8 of its kind due to emissions regulations. It will be a great part of America's most famous pony car.
Exactly one of the reasons I want to grab one before we move into the forced induction world of smaller engines and DI. I really don't want to see the V8 die. I love that GT350 and the flat plane crank.

Look at what happened to Ferrari. I recall a famous quote from a certain Ferrari who even went as far as to say that turbocharging is for companies who do not know how to build a real engine. Now they are hopping onto the turbo bandwagon. That means that engines like their small displacement 9300rpm flat plane crank v8 are pretty much gone. You have to give it to Ford for giving the v8 engine its one last moment in the spotlight and doing so at a price point that makes it somewhat obtainable for the masses(yeah I know a $52-58k Mustang is not exactly affordable) as the next closest thing was a 6 figure fancy import. That GT350 will go down into the history books because of what that car represents to those of us who still give a damn about what we drive and how emotional the connection is between a man and his engine. 30 years from now, people will still be talking about this GT350 while the Camaro with the 7.0 litre LS7 v8 or 6.2L supercharged v8 will be forgotten. Anyone can punch out the displacement or slap a supercharger, but building something like that voodoo v8 is something else.

Turbos can be great and Ford has shown the world just how they can improve drivability by offering near lag free starts combined with extremely strong low and midrange powerbands. However at the end of the day, it is artificial.

Really a good explanation as not to do any changes to your car.
Good to know! you know the problem but is alaways a way to fixed, if you dont know how to tuning or modified you car the right way dont doit ok, im Puerto Rican and i know how to make things happen have nice day!!

I'm not worried about the demise of the V8. It's not going to be "un-invented," it just won't be a cost-effective purchase option for most consumers. Technology advances. That's largely a good thing. Better and more reliable turbos and cleaner small displacement diesel engines aren't bad things. I have a personal aversion to hybrid drive systems (mostly from a maintenance standpoint), but all these things work to SAVE the (few) V8 engines that remain in production.

I have the 4 speed automatic in mine and I'm not going for the turbo upgrade. Even this transmission wouldn't last, I know the cvt wouldn't. If you
want more power this is not the car for you. Don't dump money into performance, if you want something faster, get a different car. I personally am going to get a cold air intake and that is all for performance. I already have exhaust. The rest of my upgrades will be cosmetic.

I have the 4 speed automatic in mine and I'm not going for the turbo upgrade. Even this transmission wouldn't last, I know the cvt wouldn't. If you
want more power this is not the car for you. Don't dump money into performance, if you want something faster, get a different car. I personally am going to get a cold air intake and that is all for performance. I already have exhaust. The rest of my upgrades will be cosmetic.
Sounds about right. I have intake and exhaust and a bunch of bars that make it handle better. The rest is cosmetic and electronics. I will be upgrading the wheels at some point for looks and handling and will lower it with TRD springs. But no plans on modifying the engine.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Actually, there is a 11th gen Corolla CVT that is turboed and the company who did it has said that it handles the boost well. I'm pretty sure they said it handles 5 psi perfectly but it can go up to 15 psi if it's tuned right. Also, the 4 speed that's in your Corolla has been turboed in the 10th gen Corolla and Matrix before too. In fact, Turbokits.com used a 4 speed auto Matrix to build the turbo kit that they have and I'm pretty sure the owner of the car still has it boosted.

Actually, there is a 11th gen Corolla CVT that is turboed and the company who did it has said that it handles the boost well. I'm pretty sure they said it handles 5 psi perfectly but it can go up to 15 psi if it's tuned right. Also, the 4 speed that's in your Corolla has been turboed in the 10th gen Corolla and Matrix before too. In fact, Turbokits.com used a 4 speed auto Matrix to build the turbo kit that they have and I'm pretty sure the owner of the car still has it boosted.
I'll have to look into that that sounds promising

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
My thing is, is it worth the amount of money you spend on the kit, vs the amount of HP you gain?
It's worth all depends on you. Do you think it's worth it to spend money on a turboed Corolla? For some, yes. The Corolla is a lightweight and durable car so a turbo plus some suspension mods could make a really good and sporty car out of it. However, others think of the Corolla as it is which is a reliable compact car. To those people, they may not think it's worth doing something like that. So it's all up to you.

It's worth all depends on you. Do you think it's worth it to spend money on a turboed Corolla? For some, yes. The Corolla is a lightweight and durable car so a turbo plus some suspension mods could make a really good and sporty car out of it. However, others think of the Corolla as it is which is a reliable compact car. To those people, they may not think it's worth doing something like that. So it's all up to you.
That's true. Sooooo many haters out there talking me off of possibly doing that. I think it would be awesome, still going to do some homework on
the turbo kit though.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
I wonder if the RAV 4 engine will fit.
It's a 2.5 liter.
It will most likely fit but you'd need to make or modify engine and transmission mounts and work out the wiring. There is a new 2.5L engine coming out from Toyota soon that's going to be the successor to the current 2.5L 2AR-FE in the Camry. It has direct inject, VVT-i and VVT-iE, atkinson cycle, and an 8 speed auto (you can probably put a 6 speed manual from a TC on it), etc. I think it's going to be introduced with the 2018 Camry next year.

I just read that the South American version of the 2014 Corolla has a 2.0 liter with 151 hp standard. With this engine and a few mods, you could get close to 165.
I just read that the South American version of the 2014 Corolla has a 2.0 liter with 151 hp standard. With this engine and a few mods, you could get close to 165.

I have a 2017 Corolla with the 1.8 (also with CVT). But my question is why can't you do more with it? The Lotus Elise has the 1.8 toyota engine Offering 217 hp / 250 Nm of torque. (I dunno what Nm stands for lol). I know the Lotus was supercharged but aside from that, why can't it be done?

I have a 2017 Corolla with the 1.8 (also with CVT). But my question is why can't you do more with it? The Lotus Elise has the 1.8 toyota engine Offering 217 hp / 250 Nm of torque. (I dunno what Nm stands for lol). I know the Lotus was supercharged but aside from that, why can't it be done?
Nm is just another unit of measure, it stands for newton meters.

They used the 2ZZ-GE which was in the old corolla s and matrix AWD. They came with 180ish hp and I think in Europe they supercharged them. But Toyota is all about fuel Economy now. But the new corolla hatch has the new 2.0l with 168hp and a new smart 6speed manual trans. Along with a lot of cool features.

They used the 2ZZ-GE which was in the old corolla s and matrix AWD. They came with 180ish hp and I think in Europe they supercharged them. But Toyota is all about fuel Economy now. But the new corolla hatch has the new 2.0l with 168hp and a new smart 6speed manual trans. Along with a lot of cool features.
new ones have a 2zr engine with magnuson supercharger.

When I first saw this post listed I thought you wanted to increase your horsepower to 1.8hp . I was thinking what the heck, that`s not even 2hp, why bother. Duh, then it hit me :)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this before but there's a simple, fast, kinda cheap (considering prices for turbos etc.) way to increase your vehicle's drive experience. It's called Pedal Commander. I'm speaking from experience here; best thing I ever purchased for my Corolla. Look it up, you won't be dissapointed. That device and a front upper strut bar make a difference in the world for these cars. Good luck!