I'm going to attempt my "Piston Soak", wish me luck...

Hello again, it's been almost half a year since the last time I posted. And unfortunately, the fixes and maintenance I have performed myself, didn't manage to help at all at stemming the problem. Oil consumption plateaued around 1 quart every 100 miles.

Since the last time I posted in late October, I have...

1. Replaced timing chain tensioner (O-ring failed, causing leaks over the headers)
2. Replaced O2 (upstream) Air-Fuel Ratio sensor (it fouled out and failed, in fact it fouled out AGAIN in four months, causing me to remove and manually clean the new replacement one)
3. Installed a spark plug defouler ("spacer") over my (downstream) O2 sensor, because the oil consumption killed my catalytic converter
4. Replaced the PCV valve
5. Replaced my spark plugs for the SECOND TIME in two years, after noticing that the car is misfiring because of these nasty-looking ashy deposits that formed over the electrodes
6. Replaced the valve cover gasket (along with the aforementioned timing tensioner at the same time)

This photo above basically shows the mechanic's professional diagnosis of my engine. The bottom section of the photo is me, post-setting up the piston soak after carefully reading a guide for using Marvel Mystery Oil on the Saturn forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80118). It's been sitting there, as of right now, almost eight hours.

Basically the way they described it, is simply this:

1. Remove plastic decorative cover
2. Unplug coil packs
3. Remove coil packs
4. Remove spark plugs
5. Pour between 1 to 3 fluid ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder through the exposed spark plug holes
6. Open the oil filler cap and pour rest of the container into it
7. Stuff shop rags into the exposed spark plug holes
8. Wait between 8 hours to a entire day

Right now it's nearly midnight, and it doesn't hurt to let the stuff sit in there a little longer. Tomorrow morning...

9. Go back and crank the engine to manually pump all of the MMO stuff out (to prevent hydro-locking)
10. Reinstall spark plugs, coil packs, reconnect firing wires
11. Start the engine (it will smoke a lot)
12. Just wait til it warms up or stops smoking
13. Perform a oil and filter change (I'm guessing the oil will be heavily carbonized, probably would look like tar)

Anyways, from what I have read, there are mixed opinions on the piston soak's effectiveness, much less a SINGLE piston soak. For most posters in other forums, it seems that it requires multiple treatments before the piston rings assuredly "unstick" themselves. Three to five of these "cycles" from what I have seen.

So I am planning to perform the piston-soaking again and again at every 3,000 mile oil change interval until I feel satisfied. What do you think?

Just got done putting my ignition components back together, cranking out the excess solvents and starting up the car.

Holy moley, look at that smoke. So much of it that it obscured the entire parking lot of my apartment for a few seconds. I'm showing you my trouble codes too, i'm not sure what is going on since I expected OTHER codes, like a misfire DTC upon starting it up. I cleared them with my ELM327 cheapo OBDII reader and Dash Command Android App. A quick google search says that it is apparently a Toyota-specific DTC, meaning something is wrong with the ignition/coil pack or wires. But the car runs fine, albeit really really smokey. After I change the oil i'll double-check the connections to the coil packs.

Since I live in a really crowded ghetto, I didn't have a chance to drive the car around. Instead I left it idling for 20 minutes, and periodically revved it when nobody was driving past my car (so I don't cause a car wreck). The first time I revved it, it had a minor backfire sound that concerned me. Just one little bang, but I don't see more codes.

Right now, i'm taking a bath to get all of this grime off of me, then I'm gonna change that oil, because i'm certain by that point that all of the nasty cruddy oil will make it down to the pan. And after that, if everything looks A-OK, i'll take the car out and drive through the city and add 100 miles to the odometer and then check the oil level again.

I've done a piston soak on a 00, I used kerosene in the pistons and oil. Seafoam, gas, mystery oil, combination of gas and kerosene. Worked for me, I currently have a bad head and looked at the walls and noticed hot spots and my buddy told me to use engine restore every oil change along with synthetic oil. You might want to try what I did. Kerosene over night, and pour about 2qts in the oil, go for a drive about 10mi then change the oil.

Yeah my first attempt didn't really do much except smoke a lot. Albeit I only let it soak for a day. I'll try again next time, right after I fix a few lingering issues.