Increase in Toyota Parts

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Rant, Rave, call what you like:

Place to the correct topic if so, unsure where to place it anyways;

One of the four Corolla's needed Brakes A.S.A.P. We were heading out, and felt a crunch, turned around, put the corolla away, and when came home, I inspected the car, to find out the pads had maybe 100 miles left on the passenger side. Off to the Toyota Shop, for pads.

The shop said 3 weeks ago they increased all parts, especially the pads.

From $64.95 to $84.95, after tax will run about $95.00. I had no choice to purchase, and be on my way.

I replaced the pads, and will now purchase a new set for next time on Ebay for around $30.00. I can get three sets for the price the shop charged!

The Corolla seems to wear more on the pass side, the corolla not my car. Seems they tend to wear, tire brake and all. All I am saying

Corrected dam I swear I written it clearly LMEAO!

Last edited:
There are probably a few reasons why one brake side would wear more than the other. The main one that comes to mind is a bad piston. This can cause brakes on one side to require more pressure to engage and stop the car. This side would wear less, and the better side (freer piston motion) would do most of the work. The car would likely pull to one side when braking. There is also the possibility that one bad rotor is causing more wear than the other.

I have also seen uneven brake pad wear. Meaning, one side of a pad wears down quickly, causing the pad’s useful life to end quicker than normal. Again, this is a bad piston.

I know some people only use factory pads. But consider aftermarket pads. Places like AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts still sell lifetime pads (I think both). I usually get 2 or 3 replacements before I start to feel guilty and buy another set. They"re not that expensive. $95 is a lot of money for no free pad replacement. They may wear faster than Toyota OEM but free is cheap and they're easy to replace.

You also mentioned that the tire on the faster-wearing-pad side wears quickly too. That sounds about right, if that side is doing most of the braking then the tire would also be doing more work braking the car. It's all about friction. This tire may even skid more on braking, causing a dangerous condition, especially on wet pavement.

Holy expensive-brake-pads Batman!!! :blink::eek::icon_eek::thumbdown: A fair profit is one thing, but price gouging is another!

Toyota dealership Pars Department - "Hey guys, a customer is coming! Get out the wallet vacuum cleaner!".

Eeek-gads, what a high price! Are they trying to discourage repeat business?

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I bit my tongue, this time round, guys, I do not swap parts out, to collect my losses. VIN numbers are recorded on sales, so they can lock those prices in on you, totally unfair. BBB.com, report the dealerships, part department.

My main concern is I did the brakes, the five minutes I spent on it, beats 6 feet under, for life!

I even did my 2010 which had 10K left, and winter is no fun changing things, best sooner than later.

Parts numbers saved , and will reorder Ebay

I feel bad for you fishy. Almost a $100 smackers for brake pads. Ouch! :eek:

What year Corolla was that for...or was this for an Indy 500 race car? :thumbdown:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I am not upset.

If it dug into the rotor, and then they charged a hell of a lot more. I would have walked out ,gone to AutoZone and gotten the aftermarkets.

If I had to wait. the hour trip 1/2 tank gas, the tolls. I break even with the ripped off price at this Dealer Lol.

best to say thank you , No, and call it a day

fishycomics

Super Moderator
07 not discontinued, lol

funny thing is the 2010 came with shimmies and lube, the shimmy is not the same.

2007 sealed did not come with shimmies, and lube. if it did I bet t he price was more. Lol

some say the Matrix is identical swappable parts

Last edited: