Intake Install

images-9.jpg
I'm planning on buying this HPS short ram intake, anyone have one installed or know how good these are? Also are there special procedures to install or it's just straight plug and install? Any feedback and opinion is appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
its all plug and play, any intake for this car is decent....i heard about HPS, its a good filter but I'm not a fan of the tiny heat shield. i made my own intake by purchasing all the parts separately, but i wouldn't suggest that for you as its more complicated. otherwise yes this is a decent intake... to take out your old intake it is self explanatory, the only tools you'll need are a flathead and a phillips screwdriver and common sense.

Alright thats cool, was wondering if the short ram would do any damage to the enginge such as heat soak during hot summer days? Or mess up the ecu system by not learning that a new intake has been installed?

le+14

I'm a bit short on the technical end. What is the advantage ? I'm not planning any changes- I'm satisfied with things as they are, but I'm just curious what this is and what it does ? Is this in reference to the stock 1.8 Liter engine. Incidentally I'm a Snow White Le Plus fanatic.:)

Upgraded intakes 90% of the time are for looks. The theory is they increase airflow. The fact is they can A-increase airflow due to a reduction in filtering, potentially damaging the engine.B-the wet/oiled filters can create issues with sensors and other components downstream.
You have a vehicle with a 1.8, the stock pleated filter is more than enough flow for anything you're going to do to the motor short of power adders like turbos, which if that is the case, a filter will be the least of your problems.

The reason that i would like to install a intake is to have increased cabin noise, my concern isn't about looks neither horsepower gains. Just concerned if the intake would do damage to my engine and if that would be the issue then i can leave it stock. Just need opinions on that and wether the hps or k&n intake is better. Thanks for all the feed back! All opinions are welcome.

the engine is going to try to pull what it needs for the proper air/fuel mixture. 2 ways this can happen, a filter housing/design that is open and doesn't try to shield the noise from the cabin, or B a filter that just designed to be noisy. Pay attention the specs from the manufacturer as to how small a particle the filter catches. And again, be very wary of the oil type filters.

Learned a few tricks from my FR-S in regards to intakes and tuning.

Intakes by themselves are noisemakers just like it is listed above. A lot of car manufacturers are making a lot better designed intakes (Like the FA20 intake on the BRZ\FR-S) so simply replacing the filter lets more air through. The only way to make use of the airflow is to tell the engine how much air/fuel to use with the intake installed. The intake I had was very well designed on my FR-S, maybe slightly better than stock, but nothing spectacular from a performance standpoint. You see big V8's get great power gains from these intakes, but these tiny engines that are 2.0L and below just don't need that much air unless turbo charged.

K&N branded intakes are usually safe, oiled or dry. I have never had an issue with the filter in Texas and I owned my FR-S for almost 3 years with an oiled filter installed. There's always trade offs when changing out parts.

The cheapest route to get more intake noise is to remove the resonators on the stock intake box. If you're going for looks, then you'll probably want the short ram intake. Personally, I like the Injen intakes that go down lower and further away from the heat, but I haven't seen if it truly makes a difference in intake temperatures or not.

Your assessment is about right on. Manufacturers pretty much optimize their vehicles very well to the point that doing typical power adders like this are often very minor. It is more about the sound and looks than performance. With many of those performance intakes, heat soak is a very big problem that will cause significant loss of power on hot days.

I just installed a short hair RAM on my Corolla and everytime I step on the gas and drive it hard it seems like the engine light and traction control light comes on I've gone to the dealership and asked why they told me I need to reset the ECU I've done that and I made sure all my connections are right but it still seems like it has low compression anybody else have any issues like this

I just installed a short hair RAM on my Corolla and everytime I step on the gas and drive it hard it seems like the engine light and traction control light comes on I've gone to the dealership and asked why they told me I need to reset the ECU I've done that and I made sure all my connections are right but it still seems like it has low compression anybody else have any issues like this
When you installed the intake did you have the battery disconnected?

do you still have the original filter box and tube? since you know how to reset the ECU, i assume you know, well, try to put the OEM back together and see.

if it corrected the problem, never install that RAM again. :) if you want a bit noise in your cabin, get an corolla S :)

McKe

I was thinking on doing this to my Corolla with a K&N, but now with all this questions and answers make me think better and I rather leave my car the way it is. But I surely think it looks very cool...

Never had that happen to me and i've got the K&N for my 2014 S plus and we installed it in the street by my friends house lol. I've never had any issues with it? Did you hook everything up correctly?