Is it normal or something wrong with my car?

Kiba

Hello their,
Last week I bought myself a Toyota Corolla 1.6 SR on a 56plate.

Now I have never driven a petrol before but sometimes when I start the car up(cold start) the car revs up to 2k rpm for like a few minutes and then it won't do it again.
The other thing is when I sit in traffic and the car is in neutral, at times I can feel the car vibrating (for a few moments), it feels like it wants to stall but it won't. I believe the revs drop just to under 1k rpm at that moment.

Is it normal? or not?
thanks in advance for your help

I would do a compression check, to make sure when your motor is in a standstill and expanding the most, everything is nice and sealed. It revving up cold is normal usually within the right parameters.

It could be the torque converter. I had this problem on mine. I serviced the transmission and smooth sailing. It would also make a bumping sound around 50mph as the torque converter engaged. At a traffic light it would act like it was stalling. The high revs at start up is normal. You might also try basic maintenance if the trans fluid looks fresh. fuel filter, plugs, air filter, etc. Clean the intake. Good luck.