Is Jumpstarting With a 2015 Corolla Ok

mcap

Hello, I recently bought a 2015 Corolla. This is the first new car I've bought since my 96 truck. I was reading thru the manual to see whether it is safe to jumpstart another vehicle and couldn't find anything and was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

I believe jump starting should be just fine, no real difference with the corrola battery, compared to any others. Jump starting always conveys some risk, if you do it wrong it could be dangerous, so Toyota likely isn't interested in providing info that could lead to a hazardous situation if you do it incorrectly.

Yes and no ...

It's really no more dangerous than it would be with any other car or you 96 truck. The difference is in the truck, your biggest risk was possibly frying a $5 ballast resistor. In the Corolla, you risk frying several $1500 ECM/PCM/BCM computer modules. It's highly unlikely, but it's within the realm of possibilities.

IMHO - you are much better off investing in a $50 to $100 Jump box - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J5C09-Starter-Built-Compressor/dp/B002X6VXL4/ref=sr_1_164?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1411301713&sr=1-164[/ame] - example, maybe not the best choice, and keeping it charged and in the trunk. This does two things:

• If you run across a stranded motorist, you don't risk ANY damage to your new Corolla.
  • (Especially for women) If you should end up stranded (especially after the warranty period), you don't have to wait for roadside assistance to show up, or hope that the nice motorist stopping to help really is trying to help you and really does know what he is doing.

Yeah, jump starting can carry some risk if you don't do it properly, but as long as you know what you're doing I think its pretty minuscule. A jump kit like that is heavy and I wouldn't want to drive around with an extra 80 pounds or so in my car all the time plus it sounds like they require regular attention to keep them working properly. Ultimately you are right and this is the absolute safest way to eliminate any risk to your car but I think I'll stick to regular old jumper cables. But if a person is not comfortable doing it, they should just get assistance just like changing a flat.

Kev250R

This is my other car
As others have said if done properly there is no reason why you can't jump start a car with a Corolla, regardless of year, I recently used a rented '12 Corolla to jump an '03 Corolla. I carry cables in all my cars though when I asked I rarely use them, just too much risk of damage on a modern car. I have a jump box which weighs about five pounds and has been able to start everything except for my Diesel F-450. In my area most of the tow truck drivers carry and use them as well since it's faster and easier.

Kevin

I typically don't carry cables on me, but that's because I have a stickshift, so if I kill my own battery, I can roll start the car.

Just remember these things when jumping a car and you'll never have problems:

1) Start with both cars completely off, key out of the ignition, no headlights on, no stereo, nothing, and all dome and map lights set from DOOR to OFF if possible. Keep them in P (automatic) or N (manual) with the parking brake fully set.

2) Positive post of jumpee's battery
3) Positive post of jumper's battery
4) Negative post of jumper's battery
5) METAL GROUND of jumpee's CAR (do not use the negative post of the jumpee's battery, ever).

6) Start jumper's engine, wait three minutes, and hold the throttle at 2000 rpm if possible.

7) Start jumpee's engine, let it run for a minute in-case it wants to sputter and die out.

8) Disconnect the metal ground of jumpee's car
9) Disconnect the negative post of jumper's battery
10) Disconnect the positive post of jumper's battery
11) Disconnect the positive post of jumpee's battery

Done.

There is NO WAY a jump box weighs 80 pounds - five pounds seems a bit light, but I would guess well under 15 lbs for average.

It's expensive compared to jumper cables (well, not that expensive if you have to buy quality jumper cables anyway, but most people probably have a set already), and it's a pain that every six months or once a year you might need to plug it in and charge it back up.

Agreed with what Donabed said, except you also should make sure the vehicles are not touching each other. Seems obvious, but someone will mess up. (Although I think it was more of an issue when there were metal bumpers on cars).

Tiger- sorry if I made some mis-assumptions about the jump box. I really know little about them and based my comments on a cursory internet search. It sounds like this is a useful item, and I would be interested in buying one, to keep at home or to keep with a vehicle. Can you recommend a unit that performs well and is lightweight? Thanks in advance

I'd wait and see what Kev250R comes back with.

I've used them in the past, but I'm not sure which ones are good and which are bad - other than reading online reviews which are often hit or miss.