Issue in 2002 - Drop in Gas Mileage

Hi all! Wondering if I could get some input on an issue I've been having.

A year and a half ago, I bought a 2002 LE Corolla with 92,000 mi on it. When I got it, it was in good condition, and just needed a few repairs (like a new serpentine belt). Over the past 18 months, I've put on about 9,000 mi on it and done a few repairs with a car-savvy friend. We've put on new brake pads and rotor on one of the front tires, replaced the caliper on that same tire, changed the oil a couple times, flushed the brake fluid and the coolant as well. All in all, it's a fantastic car, and I've really enjoyed learning about the process of taking care of it.

Funnily enough, over the past few months (starting in around October, November), I noticed a significant drop in gas mileage. Normally, on the highway it would get about 35 mpg, and around town it would get close to 30. But ever since late fall, I've noticed a significant drop. The highway range varies anywhere from 30-35 mpg, but around town, I'm lucky if I get 25 (typically, it's in the low 20s). I was wanting to write it off as a fluke, but it's persisted over the past few months, and I'm not really sure what to make of it. I've kept my eyes and ears peeled for any abnormal sounds, sights, or smells, but nothing has indicated that anything is wrong with the car, aside from the drop in mileage.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on? My friend's no longer in town, so I can't use him as a resource, but I'm more than willing to take it into a shop to get it looked at. Another friend wondered if it might be one of the drum brakes for the back wheels, but I haven't noticed the car pulling to one side or the other. Unfortunately, I don't have service records from the previous owner, but I'd be happy to supply any information I have that might be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

A year and a half ago, I bought a 2002 LE Corolla with 92,000 mi on it. When I got it, it was in good condition, and just needed a few repairs (like a new serpentine belt). Over the past 18 months, I've put on about 9,000 mi on it and done a few repairs with a car-savvy friend. We've put on new brake pads and rotor on one of the front tires, replaced the caliper on that same tire, changed the oil a couple times, flushed the brake fluid and the coolant as well. All in all, it's a fantastic car, and I've really enjoyed learning about the process of taking care of it.

Funnily enough, over the past few months (starting in around October, November), I noticed a significant drop in gas mileage. Normally, on the highway it would get about 35 mpg, and around town it would get close to 30. But ever since late fall, I've noticed a significant drop. The highway range varies anywhere from 30-35 mpg, but around town, I'm lucky if I get 25 (typically, it's in the low 20s). I was wanting to write it off as a fluke, but it's persisted over the past few months, and I'm not really sure what to make of it. I've kept my eyes and ears peeled for any abnormal sounds, sights, or smells, but nothing has indicated that anything is wrong with the car, aside from the drop in mileage.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on? My friend's no longer in town, so I can't use him as a resource, but I'm more than willing to take it into a shop to get it looked at. Another friend wondered if it might be one of the drum brakes for the back wheels, but I haven't noticed the car pulling to one side or the other. Unfortunately, I don't have service records from the previous owner, but I'd be happy to supply any information I have that might be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
I got 4 tanks of gas so far, and I am averaging around 31.4 mpg with my 1999 5-speed standard. I do a bit of highway driving, like about 20% of the time. Not bad consider how sometimes I can drive a bit aggressively.

To answer your question, I am guessing it's the winter gas. Winter also means the car would take longer to warm up. Have you noticed this last winter?

I wouldn't think it's the brake, either, as the highway mileage would probably be affected greatly if that's the case.

Do you have an automatic or standard transmission? If you have an auto, have you done the automatic transmission fluid before? The typical interval is about 30000 miles. You should check the level(check your Owner's Manual) and colour of it(should be a reddish-pink). A standard tranny can run longer with their fluid, which lasts about 60000 miles or more.

Have you noticed any change in your driving behaviours? Is the traffic worse than usual? These can all affect your gas mileage.

Thanks in advance!

Have someone pull the rear drums and check.had jerk mechanic tell me all toyota s squake on brakes when it rains. Turned out rearclinings were,shot and cutting into drums .ther goes your millage !

Is it throwing any codes? Check engine light? If no, try running at least a half a tank of premium gas through it and, once filled at least 60% full, add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to the tank.