Knocking Noise in Transmission Area

Hi guys new to this forum and frustrated.
Here is my problem.
Leaking rear main seal.
Friend said yeah i can do that for you no problem so I said have at it.
I went to my softball game and when I got back tranny was in process of being installed so I helped out.
All went in a bit rough but went in.
Went to start and heard a grinding noise.
Found flywheel hitting starter so I added a spacer mor like a thick washer.
Started fine after no more grinding noise but when car is idling i hear a knocking clunking noise from bell housing.
I re-removed the tranny after friend left that jackass.
Checked the flywheel as Im thinking he installed it backwards but markings or imprints on flywheel show it to be ok and spacer seems to be in right spot too based on markings but why am I getting a noise in bell housing area.
Things i checked.
Bolts from flywheel to torque converter tight
Flywheel to crank shaft tight
maybe flywheel backwards can someone show me a pic of how the flywheel is supposed to fit?
I currently have the welds on the flywheel facing the torque converter.
Should they face the engine?
Please help wife is going to kill me..... Im not joking cause she never liked my friend who did the job and said told me before he did the job "how are you gonna let that idiot work on your car." :eek:
I cant let her know she was right.

I'd get a manual, take it apart, and start the process over again, and get a torque wrench. Flywheels (for automatics they are called flex plates) are especially sensitive to torque in the proper order, and I'd bet good money that he didn't tighten it in a criss-cross pattern and that is why the flex plate was hitting the starter.

Do the job right. If you have to add spacers to get something to work that did the job without it before-hand, you're doing it wrong...

Beware of, "friend", repairs. Your wife was right and for marital bliss it always pays to admit when you're wrong, which in the case of a man and his wife, the man is always wrong anyway, so why bother fighting it?

Beware of, "friend", repairs. Your wife was right and for marital bliss it always pays to admit when you're wrong, which in the case of a man and his wife, the man is always wrong anyway, so why bother fighting it?
On that note. A "friend" offered to help me with the engine swap on my '82 GT. I declined, because I'd rather do it myself and know it was done right, and he insisted anyway. Needless to say, I found out the hard way that the oil pan screws were finger tight, even though he said he tightened them :mad:

He's right. I'm gonna ask mine if I can borrow my balls for a day.
LMFAO :laughing:

I redid the process like three times and finally drove around untill I fund another car like mine snuk under it and inspected their flywheel and found he did install it correctly flywheel lip to the engine and welds to the tranny.

But the idiot bent the freaking flywheel. Basically inverterted the bend from the center so it was closer to the engine than it should of been.
I got another flywheel from the junk yard installed it and presto all noises gone.

Thanks for all your comments and yes lesson learned no friends to help especially this idiot but he did buy the beers, LOL.

Wife well shes right but im just not going to admit it. LOL

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

LMFAO :laughing:

I redid the process like three times and finally drove around untill I fund another car like mine snuk under it and inspected their flywheel and found he did install it correctly flywheel lip to the engine and welds to the tranny.

But the idiot bent the freaking flywheel. Basically inverterted the bend from the center so it was closer to the engine than it should of been.
I got another flywheel from the junk yard installed it and presto all noises gone.

Thanks for all your comments and yes lesson learned no friends to help especially this idiot but he did buy the beers, LOL.

Wife well shes right but im just not going to admit it. LOL

Thanks guys:thumbsup:
Yup, he didn't torque in a criss-cross pattern. At least you found a replacement flex-plate and got everything back together with no problems. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Sounds like, "the idiot", owes you some money for at least the cost of the replacement flywheel, if not more for all your time, aggravation and gas.