LE or LE ECO?

Hello folks,

I'm going to get a 2015 LE, and I wonder if it makes sense to get ECO? Does anyone here drive it? Are you happy? What exactly benefits I should expect? My work commute is 20 miles each way.

Thank you!

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

Here is a link to a video posted here in the 2014 Forum Corolla Forum for a review and road test of a 2014 Corolla -

http://www.corollaforum.com/showthread.php?t=2807

Another - http://www.corollaforum.com/showthread.php?t=2806

Another - http://www.corollaforum.com/showthread.php?t=2799

Lastly here is a road test review of the Corolla ECO -

http://www.corollaforum.com/showthread.php?t=2169

I hope this helps you out.

jolly

I have an LE Eco Base since last october and couldn't be happier.
11 months, about 11,000 miles, lifetime average of 39 mpg (50/50) - despite break-in period and harsh winter, easily 50+mpg on highway, which is where the Valvematic engine really shine.
(They shoud put an hybrid system so city would be terrific too and actually reach what Ford falsely pretended to do with their hybrids. Maybe in the next Scion Auris [Corolla hatchback]?)
It's more than EPA estimate, and not many cars achieve that !

Of course mpg may vary considerably upon driving style (I'm rather an "easy driver", don't floor the car and coast to red lights).
A friend of mine got a regular LE and he is averaging 35 mpg.
But, again, it is hard to compare and establish that's because his model isn't an eco.

Actually, I did not chose the Eco Base for MPG but because it was the best price/equipment ratio for my needs (bare in mind that I'm from Canada and our models equipment are a little different than US).
In Canada Eco Base would cost you $700 more over our LE, deleting 16" and some color choices, but adding auto-climate and TPMS in exchange for some MPG (15”, lip spoiler + other aerodynamics and +8HP Valvematic).
[I think in US Eco base would cost you $400 more over LE to delete 16” and some color choices in exchange for some MPG (15”, lip spoiler + aerodynamics and +8HP Valvematic)].

Ride is not sporty but very composed and smooth, as the CVT. Quiet, though road noise could use some work.
Smaller 15 wheels are despised by some but they do the greatest job for comfort (lot of potholes where I live) and fuel economy.
As in any Corolla, LED headlights are great (I won't be able to go back !) and USB, bluethoot, steering wheels controls, back-up camera are a big +.

If you fancy equipment like alloys and moonroof, than you have to go upgrade.
See if the supplement to pay worth the alledge fuel economy, which will be less in the first place because of the bigger wheels (and the slightly firmer ride that come with them).
(Even if Eco upgrade models have an "eco mode" - that the Eco Base does not have - to compensate and dull the engine, they are still less efficient).
To each is own, but at the price level of an Eco upgrade I probably would have chosen Mazda3 or Impreza. But at Eco Base price level, nothing beat it in price/value/quality/equipment ratio !

Oh and yes, in winter, the heater is a bit slow - has to do with heating some mechanical components first I've read somewhere - but heated seats (mmmmm) are standard even in base Eco (again, canadian model)

Last edited:
In theory I like the LE ECO - why wouldn't you want the most MPG you can get.

(There are some differences in paint also - the white metallic is only available on the LE ECO (for additional cost) - OTOH, Barcelona Red, Classic Silver, Super White, and Black Sand Mica are available on the LE Base, but not the ECO. Brown Sugar, Evergreen and Slate are available on either.

Also the base LE ECO has 15-inch steel wheels and pop-on hubcaps as opposed to 16-inch and bolt-on for the LE, and the LE ECO Premium has ECO Mode and 16-inch Alloys, but different ones than the LE Premium alloys.

In reality, the cost difference (in the USA) is hard to justify.

What is your annual mileage?

I think ECO prices have dropped - I am showing a priced difference of $382.00 on TrueCar - however, keep in mind most dealers have 10-20 LE's and maybe 1 or 2 Eco's on the lot, so I doubt you have as much negotiating room.

If we trust the EPA, the LE CVT gets 29/32/38 and the ECO gets 30/35/42
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg//bymodel/2014_Toyota_Corolla.shtml

If we figure your commute at 45 miles - that is 11,250 miles per year.

With gas at $3.50/gallon using the combined rating, you will spend:
$1125 on the ECO.
$1230 on the LE or a difference of $105 per year, and it would take you about 4-years to make up the cost difference on the ECO.

If gas goes higher, and it probably will, that difference comes down faster.

In reality though - there are enough differences that it comes down to which you like better, but I think overall the LE is a better value (larger tires, less money, more color choices, more room to negotiate on price).

In theory I like the LE ECO - why wouldn't you want the most MPG you can get. In reality, the cost difference (in the USA) is hard to justify.
My Eco Base have stellar fuel economy, but it is almost impossible to establish the real difference with a regular LE. Eco get more than EPA ratings, but so does LE. One has to assume that it does get better fuel economy than LE, but how much in real life ? So the EPA ratings vs local cost of fuel are the only way to try to figure that one. In Canada, at $5.60 (US) a gallon, and still rising, one would tend to put all chance on his side though !:D

I think ECO prices have dropped - I am showing a priced difference of $382.00 on TrueCar - however, keep in mind most dealers have 10-20 LE's and maybe 1 or 2 Eco's on the lot, so I doubt you have as much negotiating room.
True or... maybe not. What we don't know is how each model sell as Toyota dont publish separated data. There might be just 1 or 2 Eco on the lot, but if they have been there for 6 months, that would open the door to negociation ! But the Eco price would be a little higher anyway.

In reality though - there are enough differences that it comes down to which you like better, but I think overall the LE is a better value (larger tires, less money, more color choices, more room to negotiate on price).
So we are back, indeed, to which one you like better. You would get great fuel economy with both, a little more with Eco, but how much and for how much ? Again in Canada the choice is easier as the Eco Base include equipment not found in LE Base.
I must add that if you have to carefully weight your options between LE Base and LE Eco Base, LE Eco Upgrade makes less sense from the begining because of even slighter fuel economy advantage vs price. As I said, at that price, I'd go LE Upgrade or some competition.

Last edited: