Lean cel and no power

Hello all! Today I bought a 2000 corolla ce with the 1.8 1zz-fe. It has a check engine light indicating its running too lean and unless I super baby the accelerator, it sputters back and gets no power.. I cleaned the maf sensor and I think the 2male prongs look good. The exhaust is clear, to slightly white if anything. The car sounds like a truck when accelerating. This happens even when I'm not in gear and attempt to rev it. If I floor it, it will sputter at about half pettle. However when driving say at 60mph if I down shift, heightening the rpms, it sounds fine without pressing the pettle. I had the cel code cleared with a reader and for 50 miles, I'd say it ran pretty alright before coming back. Which was when I cleaned the maf sensor. And took off the battery to clear the light. Now while not showing a cel its running bad again.. What to do? And how much should it cost :(

Kyky7

New update, the check engine light has returned with the same lean running condition code.. I removed the battery to reset it and it became slightly rough, but not as bad as before. I drove around and its driving well again but the light is back. Should I just replace the maf even with it running well?

If the MAF is clean then it's not your problem your running lean so I would suggest checking for any intake leaks and when you hook it up to a scan tool and it runs rough your most likely misfiring. Check for any stored codes the may indicate this. Also check that all your injectors are clean and firing as designed. This is where I would start, MAF sensor can be a cause but if you felt an improvement once cleaning it, even though the rough and light came back this could indicate that yes your MAF was dirty but it's probably not causing your problem.