Lets talk tires!

First off, this is a bang-for-the-buck thread, not a high-performance, racing tire thread

May of us who have been around cars, and tinker with them, have our favorite brands.
<--- when I was a kid, and spent a large portion of my time going sideways in those death machines, I preferred Cooper, because they didn't fall apart after 10,000 miles like other brands.

Now, I'm older and wiser, and more concerned about tire life; how many miles I will get out of a tire.

I'm a commuter, and put about 40K miles per year on my car. I used to just get cheap tires once a year or when needed, and not think a lot about it.

Both of my previous Corolla's came with Continental tires. Both times, I had at least two of the tires fail with under 40K miles for unknown reasons. Slow leaks, and shops can't find holes. Junk tires.

Then I stumbled on the 100,000 mile tire from Falken. I was stunned when I actually got 100,000 miles from a set. So I got another set, and saw the same lifespan.

I've also had good luck with Hankook, getting about 90,000 miles out of a set. I would have gotten more, but I had a bad hub which caused uneven ware, and had to replace. I still had a good amount of tread left, and would have easily made it another 20K or so.

My current 2016 Corolla LE Eco came OEM with Michelin. I'm just over 60K miles now, and I am seeing some hydroplaning in wet conditions. I don't have a tread-depth gauge, though I will probably buy one soon. I'm thinking I'll make it to 75K.
100_6651.JPG

I don't see the 100K mile Falken tire listed on Walmart anymore. I'll probably go with this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Optimo-H727-Tire-P205-55R16/17792357

What brands have you all had good luck with, and which brands do you avoid?

Hankook i had no problems with when i drove the FR-S, and i replaced the stock Firestones on the Corolla with Pirelli Cinturautos after just 1100 miles.

I had great results from General tires. I'm not worried about a tire lasting that long as those tires tend to have a lot harder tread compound that hurts handling and braking performance which is an important safety issue to me. I also drive in a lot of rain so wet performance is important and I tend to replace tires when they get to 4/32nds at a minimum for hydroplaning issues.

I'm currently running hankook Ventus v2's right now, and they are great. I've got about 10k miles on them and haven't had a problem. I also really like them because they are were super cheap which was a plus.

it may sound stupid but i run Blizzacks all year round.... but i live in maine and drive some nasty roads... their alittle loud in the rain but i have never had a issue... when it snows it handles like a dream at 70.... Rain and mud have tremendous grip.... but once again i am way up north.... i get about 50k - 75k depending on driving style and road conditions....

it may sound stupid but i run Blizzacks all year round.... but i live in maine and drive some nasty roads... their alittle loud in the rain but i have never had a issue... when it snows it handles like a dream at 70.... Rain and mud have tremendous grip.... but once again i am way up north.... i get about 50k - 75k depending on driving style and road conditions....
I wouldn't run them year round. Above 45F a winter tires performance will decrease and wear out much faster. The tread compound is designed for colder temps below 45F. Just braking performance will be much worse at 70F. If you use 2 different sets of tires that are meant for the proper seasons they will last a lot longer then 2 sets of Blizzacks and perform better year round. Even Maine temps are too warm for using a winter tire year round. I was up there in October 2016 and the temps were still too warm to be using winter tires. My Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S tires worked great night an day.