Looking for any beginners advice

Hello,

I just purchased my first 2019 Corolla LE. I had a Camry since 2004 until it had an issue with the camshaft last week and the mechanics at Toyota said it would cost more to fix it than its actual value (264,000 miles). I've been pretty bummed about the Camry since I believed it would still have a good 2 years of service left in the tank with no prior engine problems since its purchase in 04. I'm looking to take better care of this car and welcome any tips or advice. The dealer said to get an oil change every 10,000 miles since it uses synthetic oil, but I'm a bit skeptical about that.

Thanks in advance!

If I could have waited one more year, I would have gone for the 2020 Corolla, lol. I got my 2018 Corolla LE last June. There are actually quite a lot of opinions on this topic on these boards (and Toyota's). This is what I personally plan to do: Let the dealer change the oil every 10K miles until my 24-month free service is up, then go back to what I normally do...change with full synthetic every 5 K miles.

I'm more concerned about the transmission fluid, myself.

Sorry I couldn't give you any scientific reasoning behind my thoughts. Just mainly wanted to say hi and congrats on your new Corolla. I'm sure others will chime in!

-Br

If I could have waited one more year, I would have gone for the 2020 Corolla, lol. I got my 2018 Corolla LE last June. There are actually quite a lot of opinions on this topic on these boards (and Toyota's). This is what I personally plan to do: Let the dealer change the oil every 10K miles until my 24-month free service is up, then go back to what I normally do...change with full synthetic every 5 K miles.

I'm more concerned about the transmission fluid, myself.

Sorry I couldn't give you any scientific reasoning behind my thoughts. Just mainly wanted to say hi and congrats on your new Corolla. I'm sure others will chime in!

-Br
Yeah, I totally agree with you. I saw the 2020 model and thought it would be great to wait, but the Camry didn’t make it. I got the car through Costco’s Auto Program so it came out to 15,500 with tax and fees which I believed was a great deal so I pulled the trigger.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. I saw the 2020 model and thought it would be great to wait, but the Camry didn’t make it. I got the car through Costco’s Auto Program so it came out to 15,500 with tax and fees which I believed was a great deal so I pulled the trigger.
Wow That's a great deal! I have a similar story as well. My Honda died and I needed a car asap. Was looking into Used actually but ended up using that as a way to get a better deal on a new car. I also tried to go through Costco's Auto Program but the first couple of dealerships would not go lower than $17.9K or $17.6 (i can't remember if this was out the door or plus TTL). They said they "couldn't. Finally found a couple of other dealerships who said they would "beat" Costco's price and take it down to ... guess what? $17, 000 out the door! So that comes out to about $15,500K plus TTL. And i was told by people who know more than I to take it and run. I bought mine in So-Cal last year.

-Br.