Low idle will in drive.

Hey guys just seeing if any of you have had an issue with low idles while sitting at like a stop light, and if you have experienced this what have you done to fix it?

Hey guys just seeing if any of you have had an issue with low idles while sitting at like a stop light, and if you have experienced this what have you done to fix it?
I've been having this problem for a while. I'm thinking it has something to do with the gas I've been using. When I 1st got mine, I use strictly Chevron gas. Now most of the Chevron's in my area have become Shells, thus I've switched. If I dump a bottle of Chevron Fuel Cleaner in my tank before I fill up, then I don't notice it happening as often, or if at all.

How low is low ? D brake, mine have always been between 700-800. Not a problem.
That's the normal idle speed. What I've been experiencing for about the past year is that while stopped, with the CVT in gear, the engine idle drops to around 500 RPM. If I simply shift to neutral, & then back to drive, it returns to the normal idle speed around 750-800 RPM.

Last edited:
That's the normal idle speed. What I've been experiencing for about the past year is that while stopped, with the CVT in gear, the engine idle drops to around 500 RPM. If I simply shift to neutral, & then back to drive, it returns to the normal idle speed around 750-800 RPM.
I've have this problem too but I also have a Cherrybomb on the back so little back pressure

What it seems to be is that the throttle body needs to be cleaned as well as maybe the mafs. I haven't replaced my air filter for both so maybe that will change the idle problem as well

What it seems to be is that the throttle body needs to be cleaned as well as maybe the mafs. I haven't replaced my air filter for both so maybe that will change the idle problem as well
I just put in an aftermarket MAFS last week. I've been having this problem for over a year. Even before I installed my SRI. It hasn't quite been a year yet, but I think I due for a cleaning of my K&N filter. I may try cleaning the throttle body at the same time, since K&N's take so long to clean & dry.

I have a 2005 Corolla and I have used the K&N filter for quite some time. I would clean it well and use their filter oil but you have to be aware that the K&N doesn`t filter as much as a factory filter so you might have to check your throttle body more often than you clean the filter. I regained my good idle after cleaning the throttle body because there was more crud with the K&N. Of course you get more performance with the K&N because it has less restriction to the airflow going to the engine. Since I`m going to be selling that car I went back to the factory air filter and have great idle. I don`t think I will be using a K&N on my new 2017 corolla.
Toyo2017

Bunta

I've been having this problem for a while. I'm thinking it has something to do with the gas I've been using. When I 1st got mine, I use strictly Chevron gas. Now most of the Chevron's in my area have become Shells, thus I've switched. If I dump a bottle of Chevron Fuel Cleaner in my tank before I fill up, then I don't notice it happening as often, or if at all.
wow, that's actually pretty strange.

Mine idles around 800 unless the AC or defrost is on. Then it's between 500-600.
Has always been this way. Doesn't matter if I had stock intake, short ram or cold air. I have also used premium gas in it since day one, but that's another conversation I don't want to start! Lol

Has anyone heard of the iOBD2 mini?
I had another post about this but no one responded.
It's a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into your OBD port that links to your smartphone. It gives you real time engine information and other features such as gas mileage, MAFS, speed, idle. The cost was around $22 shipped from xtoolstore.com but I'm sure it can be found elsewhere.
It's just for monitoring and reading engine codes and data. You can not tune with it. I think it will allow you to reset CEL codes however.
I took some video of it with my iPhone, if I can figure out how to edit parts of it out, I will post it on YouTube and update with a link here.

http://m.xtoolstore.com/wholesale/xtool-mini-obd2-scanner-for-ios-and-android.html

I just ordered a second one for another vehicle. If anyone takes the bait, I suggest adding to your cart before clicking the buy now button on the bottom of the page!

Last edited:

Bunta

All they did was check my alignment after I got new wheels & tires. Other than that, they didn't do jack!
then the dealrship shouldn't be the reason then. the funny thing is that its the opposite for me when it comes to chevron and shell(but for other cars i've driven and not my corolla. a vw jetta 1.8t and a chrsyler 300). maybe just avoid certain gas stations and only use the one that best suits your car.