Maintainence required = low mpg?

hey guys, I have a Corolla S 2016. I bough it used on February with 9,800 miles. The last person changed the oil last year in May. I got a call at the end of April from the Toyota that I went to to get it fixed. They said that I need to make an appointment for the maintainence service, and that it’ll be due in May. Now it’s may, and I got the “maintainence required” on the gauge cluster. I used to get around 24-29 mpg, and a range of 300ish miles (I always reset my trip and average mpg on every refuel) and did the last 3 days I’ve been getting 15 mpg and I only got 180 miles upon empty. My question is when you get the maintainence required, do you get lower mpg? Like do they do that to force you to get it done? Thanks guys

Nope. Maybe your driving conditions have been harsher in the last days (heavier traffic, temperature...) or the car really need maintenance... How much mileage total on the car since the former owner may of last year oil change. It's suppose to be at 10K (rather 5K for "severe" conditions. By the way, 24-29 mpg isn't that great in the first place ;)

I get 25.5 period. No matter how I drive or what the weather conditions are.
I haven’t tracked it myself, just what the onboard computer says. Otherwise, I don’t really care what my mpg is unless it drops to 15!
I’ve also done all the maintenance myself. Basically oil changes.

I would let the dealer know what’s going on and make it their fault.
Wasn’t doing this when I brought it to you. There should be a log in the ECU that will prove that to them.

My 2016 S averages 24.7 mpgs... Most my driving os highway and even on city i should be getting 28. I talked to my dealer and they ran extensive tests and they say nothing is wrong. Even if the maintenance is late. Maybe try resetting your mpg logs. You do this in the settings on park.

I drive a 2014 Corolla LE (not an S) CVT - mostly highway and get ~41mpg in the summer and ~37mpg winter (bad winter gas).
Had the car since new - got 32k miles right now.
I am still striving for a 500 mile tank of gas - never quite got there but am close.
How are y'all getting sub 30's?

As far as oil changes - the "Maint Reqd" light flashes 4500 miles after the last reset and stays on at 5000 miles after the last reset. No smarts in the light - purely mileage related.

As noted above (and in the owners manual), the maintenance required light is not related to vehicle health.

The malfunction light does indicate a problem, that could reflect a problem resulting in poor fuel efficiency.

Attachments