Matrix Review

The 2011 Toyota Matrix is a great vehicle, and often overlooked by its more popular siblings of the Camry and the Corolla. Thanks for sharing this. Bummed to see it didn't spark conversation about the Matrix. Perhaps people will share their Matrix experiences now...

I haven't ever considered a Matrix, but one of my sister's just bought one for my niece. She seems to like it, but I don't know if it really fits my personal tastes.

The Matrix, and only a few minor contrivances associated with the climax caused the film to miss a four-star rating. The movie is kinetic, atmospheric, visually stunning, and mind-bending. It toys with the boundaries between reality and fantasy in unique and interesting ways. In its approach and content, it reminded me of last year's vastly underrated Dark city.

From what I've read, the Matrix is a goner; Toyota have pulled the plug on it. Seems the reason it was made at all was due to the cooperative effort between Toyota and Pontiac. Now that Pontiac is history, Toyota have a hatchback that few want--mostly, I'm sure, due to its looks. I mean, it's basically a Corolla, but looks nothing like one.

Shame, really, as Hyundai, KIA, Ford, Mazda, and Honda have C- and B-class hatchbacks. Okay, the Yaris is sort of in the B class, but without the amenities the other makers put in their B-class hatches, the Yaris really doesn't stand much of a chance.

When we were shopping for a hatchback, to replace a Focus ZX5, we tested a Matrix. After seeing the equivalent Hyundai, and Mazda, and Honda, the Matrix just seemed cheap, as in crappy interior.

I like the Matrix, I find a hatch to be quite practical. I did just buy (two weeks ago) a Corolla S. Reason I did was because it is a manual transmission and it was an S model. There were no Matrixes on the lot that were manual or I would have definitely have considered getting a matrix.

Corolla_mike the reason the Matrix is a goner is because most consumers in The U.S. Don't like hatchbacks and sales are very poor. Nothing to do with Pontiac. Here in Canada the Matrix is quite popular and is still sold into 2014. Not sure if it will be sold on the new platform in 2015 or not. Sad thing is many times the U.S. Market (because it's bigger) dictates the Canadian market so we may not get the Matrix after 2014.

I had a 2008 Base. I loved it. Beat the piss out of it for 75,000 and I never had anything go wrong with it (and when I say beat the piss out of it, I'm not kidding. I constantly heel-toe-downshifted in the car, it saw redline at least five times a day, and had to upgrade to EBC brakes because I put spider-cracks in the stock rotors getting them so hot).

I'll admit, I cried a little when I traded it in for my 2014 Corolla S, but the Matrix was a base model, and I wanted aluminum wheels, fog, cruise, moonroof, steering wheel controls, nav, etc. etc. etc.