Motor Mount Question

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
So today when I put the car in reverse it feels like it had more vibration than normal and that got me thinking what is the likelyhood that I need motor mounts and trans mounts? It was not horrible just seemed a little more than normal

Just for the record, I had a 93 that had the same mounts as yours. For some reason it seemed to eat engine mounts, I had to change them twice In about 180k miles. And I never was rough on it either. With that said even with new mounts it always seemed to have a rough feel in reverse. And for the record if you have to change the rear mount, your in for a hell of a time with it, you have to take the crossmember loose along with other related parts. Needless to say its worth the money to pay someone to do it. I always use genuine toyota parts.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I would not be the one doing it like I said in my other thread I will be having my mechanic do it. It is not a serious shake just a very small one I think I will wait it out and see if it get worse but will have my mechanic check it out while it is in there. What kills me is I have owned a lot of american cars and never in my life have had to do motor mounts. The odd part is they were all a lot bigger engines and much more unbalanced than a 4 banger and have always beat the **** out of them and only thing I lost was the tranny never any supporting parts. I guess my point is why can't Toyota do the trans and let someone else do everything else seems that they build a solid power train and skimp out on stupid stuff.

P.s im very hard on my trans in my bigger motor cars if it has balls I let the trans know it does hence the reason I buy new under warranty and let it rip till 100k the trade in my problem cus after 100k with me the trans regardless of quality is on its last leg

Again ... it's a 14 year old car, LOL

I had a set of motor mounts go on my '96 Mustang GT (one year older than yours) and was getting ready to do the second set before I sold it. The first time the motor mount went, it blew the rear U-joint.

My friend had a Toyota with the 22R ('83) and it went all the way to 2001 before the motor mount finally went.

Also, 4-cylinder engines are harder to balance than V-6 or V-8 engines because there is less firing occurring each revolution, which makes the explosions that much more noticeable.

And what are you doing to your transmission that kills them after 100,000 miles? Neutral bombs? I've had transmissions go well over 200,000 miles of hard driving and never had issues with them except for the occasional clunk going into 2nd gear.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I go to the drag strip on a regular basis and I live in the snowy region so a lot of rocking the car plus I have a slight addiction to Burning out and a lot of preloading the etc at high rpm and I own a lot of Chrysler cars that should say it all and it 17 not 14

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
And tbh I've owned the 200 since new and it clunks in all gears lol only time that trans is smooth is at full throttle if you don't believe me go to the 200 forum it is the worst regular shifting car I've ever had but pulls hard no matter the speed I also have it tuned for 93 octane tune and run e85 ethanol waiting on hemifever to get custom e85 tune probably have up over 300 HP easy at the moment which isn't any easier on the tranny

Right, 17 years. My brain is fried at the moment from school work.

My Dad had a 4-cylinder 200 rented while his '08 Bullitt was in the shop. He hated the thing.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
The 4 cylinder rental suck the fully loaded v6 is the way to go I've smoked many mustangs and a lot of unsuspecting cars. Judging a car by a rental version is unfair I'm looking to to supercharge it solo once I can find somewhere to squeeze it under the hood but I need to lower it it to do that. Once this one hits 100k I'm getting the new one those are the real nice ones awd is the gem

Rather have a V-8. The Ford Ti-VCT engines aren't a joke. 3.7 V-6 @ 300 hp, 5.0 V-8 @ 425 hp.

For 2015 they're adding an Ecoboost I-4 @ 320 hp, V-6 will be at 310 hp, and the 5.0 up to 450 hp (rumored).

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Eco boost is the biggest farce anyone can turbo an engine and 450 HP from a v8 is not all that impressive I mean let's be honest the eco 3.5 has just as much power with a broader tq curve and 300 HP from a v6 is another thing that is unimpressive.don't get me wrong there nice but nothing special I could easily get a blown 6 that would make a lot of v8 cars look like fools search turbo pentastar. I mean all ford did is take an old motor a blow it I mean really there's 4s that put out 400hp so let's not lick fords ass mustang is one of the most boring mundane cars everyone and there second cousin has them nothing special

Anyone can turbo an engine ... but is the engine, transmission, and drivetrain built for it? Does the turbo carry the factory warranty?

450 hp from a V-8 isn't that impressive? It's more than the 5.7 SRT-8 engine puts out :-D with less displacement too. Even the 6.4 SRT-8 engine only tops the Ti-VCT 5.0 by 20 hp ... and it needed another 1.4 L to do so.

The Ecoboost 3.5 is only rated for 380 hp in the up and coming 2015 Navigator/Expedition (which is still a lot of power).

You're comparing a naturally aspirated 300 HP V-6 that is 31 mpg capable and saying you could get a blown V-6 to do better? I'd hope so, otherwise that would be pretty depressing.

Again, of course a turbo pentastar will beat a naturally aspirated V-8 ... take a turbo to the V-8 and it'll walk all over the pentastar. The more power you start with, the more power you'll get.

An old motor? Ti-VCT engines are barely 4 years old, and American car companies (including Dodge) tend to keep engines around for decades.

And the Mustang is boring and mundane? I'd take it over a Challenger or a Camaro any day.

400 HP 4-cylinders aren't daily drivers, and they still don't match the torque of a V-8

Here's a 2500 hp twin turbo Ford 5.4 DOHC engine in a Ford GT.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticle...ci_twin_turbo_modular_ford_engine_horsepower/

Show me a Mopar engine that is able to crank out 2500 hp without grenading.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Lol the ecoboost is rated at 420 just so you know and will very easily put out more horse with just a couple tweaks and like you said the he I is an old motor and is still competing now say they went and built a 5.0 and used the same tech as ford I can more than assure 450 would not be hard to do. And no your wrong about tq a blown 6 will reach its peak tq at a much lower rpm something like a full 1000 rpm lower if not more and with motors I would take neither a v8 or v6 give me a i6 of the same displacement and let's talk tq the main reason Cummins motors rule.what trucks do you see in tractor pulls Cummins Cummins and oh yeah Cummins the 5.9 motor is a monster better than any pos diesel ford has ever had because if were talking real work trucks then diesel is the choice. So go check your tq facts blown motors make way more tq at a lower rpm than a v8 will why do you think Porsche uses them they are lighter and just as powerful. Power is not king the power to weight ratio is the key.cus 500hp is not good if the car is 5grand cus a car with 300 and half the weight will win

420 hp was the prototype, not the mass produced versions.

What about a blown V8? Where will that make torque :-D

Yeah, I will say that when it comes to diesels, Cummins are the top dog.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
What do you mean by that HP is a number formed by an equation of tq and all factory motors are severelydetuned to improve rreliability which is why the tuner market is so large they could easily push out 100 more HP and let's be real they start so low so in the next 5 years they can bump power a little each year and make it look like they are making improvement and I'm sorry but ford to me has always been so uninspiring I can't get behind them and anyone who would take a fully loaded mustabg over a loaded challenger is a goon. Challenger is a much better looking and more of a mans car mustang is a teenagers car. Only mustangs worthwhile are the Shelby ones and that's because ford took its nose out of its design and let a real car maker go to work

So today when I put the car in reverse it feels like it had more vibration than normal and that got me thinking what is the likelyhood that I need motor mounts and trans mounts? It was not horrible just seemed a little more than normal
To get back on topic, my brother has an older Corolla with exactly the same problem. All motor mounts were replaced yet the problem persists. This seems to be a common problem with older Corolla's. It would be nice to get to the bottom of this problem.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Your right Scott back to problem at hand it is pretty rough what I am thinking is it may have to do with how the car is resting because I tried a little trick when you come to a stop to park before putting it in park put in neutral and rest all weight of car on ebrake and then put it in park it made my situation a lot snoother. What I'm thinking the reason is when you put it in park and let of foot brake the car is resting on trans and then we all know that when you go to take out of gear it has a little resistance and is already leaning back so when you put in reverse it is also putting power backward thru the driveshafts and that could be what causes the vibration because once you let off brake it smoothies right out.

When changing gears there is always a little play in the drive shafts and putting it against an already strained shaft(play already used up by roll back in park) could cause the vibration

What are the odds of the harmonic balancer going out? Sometimes they contain rubber that can deteriorate and cause vibrations similar to a motor mount issue. Did you take a look at that?

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
The car will be at my mechanic next week and he will be going through the whole car looking for problems that don't exist yet I figure I bought for 2550 at 117k im planning to put about 5 to 800 in it total and that will keep her good for another 100k so a max of 3500$ for 100k miles is in my book one hell of a bargain considering that's only 8 months of payments for my other car and the money I spend on this will pay off in less miles wear and tear and road damage on my financed car plus the great mpg savings

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Tell me about it I didn't even stop to look at this car I seen a impala but seen it had 150k and alls I could think was that trans is on its way out so I started walking the lot and seen this it was in amazing physical shape so then I looked at the odometer and it had exactly 116954 and I pulled out the cash they wanted 2600 but I just couldn't pay asking price so pulled out the kbb app and lied told them it was a base model lol and that it booked at 2350(white lies never hurt no one) and I tried low balling at 2400 not a chance so I pulled out the money and paid the 2550 before someone else snagged my good fortune they thought they pulled one over on me. I gave them the wrong kbb price the one I bought was a DX books at about 3500 only thing I had to replace was a single sway bar link but did the other to nip it in the bud and it runs like new I could put 60k on it and still get what I paid for it but I'm not letting it go till it crumbles. Car came with all maintenance records had brand new belts 700 miles before I bought and has just had the rear drums cleaned and adjusted PCI has been at 5000 miles with full synthetic using Mobil 1 and does not burn a drop of oil and not one leak except for when the icy cold ac is running makes some new cars seem outdated how good it works. All in all I got a steal

My buddy picked up a V6 Mustang for $800. Guy could not figure out why the engine wasn't running. Changed a bunch of parts, the fuel pump, wiring, etc., and just wanted it gone after he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run.

Friend towed it home. Pushed in the fuel pump inertia switch after checking that first, car fired right up, LOL.

Some people are the opposite.

My girl's sister was looking at a Yaris ... they were asking $4,800 ... took a look at it. Car had 220,000 miles and obvious prior body damage (that was horribly repaired). I said I'd give them $1,500 for it tops, but I'm sure somebody out there paid what they were asking.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Really this cus me and him were just getting started lol here it goes Mopar or no car (except for the corolla it gets 30mpg there is always room for that)FORD FOUND ON ROAD dead and if its still running found on road dieing, f####d over rebuilt dodge. And as far as the powerjoke I mean powersmoke I'm sorry powerstroke. Cummin powerstroke this. And I can't leave out a dig on a Honda it takes more tq to tighten my lugnuts than your Honda makes

LOL! Good form.

Seriously though, I am die hard Ford and Toyota, but I love the Dodge trucks/Challenger/Viper.

I'd walk before I ever owned a Government Motors though. You'd have to pay me to drive one.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Same here I personally just am not fond of ford no specific reason heard great things just a Mopar man I was brought up with trans problems and I fear change

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
And I use to drive a ford Windstar for work that didn't help my outlook lol not one of there best efforts that thing was a friggin junk box

Yeah ... there is a reason Ford stopped making it, LOL!

They never sold. The Caravan and the Sienna had the lead on the market and the Windstar/Freestar were too little too late. The Flex seems to be fitting that market but it is an expensive car ... I'd take the fridge option though.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
And not only that they were garbage ran like crab always had issues and Mopar has always had the minivan market you can get a new caravan starting at 20k the flex can compete although the eco boost flex is a hell of a race van

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I can't wait for them to direct inject and blow the pentastar I talked to the dealership I go to and he said not yet it would make the dodge viper engine look week if they dialed up the boost I mean look at the maserati pentastar turbo oops did I let the cat out the bag it pushes over 400 HP easy with only 3l imagine what a 3.6 blown would do I've seen some jeeps supercharged and its just flat out restarted how much power they have I mean really a cardboard box does 0to60 in like 5secs

Is Dodge still making the Caravan? I thought they were talking about pulling the plug on it. Seems like crossovers are the new thing now.

I was looking at a Volvo C30 ... car had a completely flat torque curve from 1500 to 6000 rpm (similar engine to the 2nd generation European Focus RS/ST ... and Ford stuck us with the watered-down versions ... glad they finally brought the ST here). That engine could easily do double the power just by tuning it to get rid of the boost limiting (provided that the clutch and everything else could survive). They don't make them anymore, and 2-seaters are not fun as a daily driver especially when you drive family around, but they were a neat looking car and I test drove one when they first came out and the powerband was incredible. Car could accelerate from 5th gear like others would do in 3rd.

I think Turbocharging and Supercharging are very quickly going to start replacing big-displacement motors, because you get the power and the efficiency. Even the Italians are starting to ditch the bigger V-12s for blown V-8s.

Just avoid the Hyundai turbo motors at all costs. They like to throw rods when you play rough with them.