Motor Oil Change - 5 Quart Jug vs. 5, 1 Quart Bottles

I drive a '99 corolla and I usually buy the 5qts castro high-mileage in walmart and my car only takes in 4qts of oil. The remaining 1qt gets thrown away because I heard that once it is opened and air gets in the oil is no good or not as good. Is it better to buy five quart bottles instead? What do you guys use for oil change?

why not keep it? theres air in the bottle already and once it goes in the engine its exposed to air. maybe someone confused you on water in oil which is bad and shouldnt be put in an engine ever. i've always used castrol gtx or high mileage for other vehicles, but i'm thinking a switch to mobil 1 after a few changes with the new rolla

I drive a '99 corolla and I usually buy the 5qts castro high-mileage in walmart and my car only takes in 4qts of oil. The remaining 1qt gets thrown away because I heard that once it is opened and air gets in the oil is no good or not as good. Is it better to buy five quart bottles instead? What do you guys use for oil change?
No need to throw away brand new oil. Whom'ever told you that is...well...wrong.

The oil in your Corolla's engine is exposed to air all the time and that doesn't destroy it. Besides, oil sitting in an oil jug doesn't get air mixed into the oil. Rest assured, you're fine saving that brand new oil for when you need it to top off the engine oil.

For the past 25+ years I've used nothing but AMSOIL synthetic motor oils in everything I've owned, as it saves me so much money. In my daily driver, using AMSOIL saves me over $300 a year in reduced maintenance costs and improved fuel economy. Even if I was provided another brand of oil for free, it would still cost me more to use than AMSOIL. :)

valvoline all the way my onwers manale said do not use synthetic oil because it will not stick to parts makin it a dray start every time

Hmmm....I've been professionally employed in the automotive industry for 25+ years, as well as the synthetic oil industry and never have I seen an owners manual make such an inaccurate statement. If you could post a picture of that statement and what vehicle company made such a statement, that would be very interesting indeed, especially since millions of cars the world over come with synthetic oil in their engines right from the factory assembly line. Valvoline makes their own version of a synthetic oil too.

Synthetic oils cling better to metal parts than dead dinosaur petroleum oils do and have many advantages vs a petroleum oil. Below is a link to a very interesting article on this -

http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/

Below is a short video on the basics of synthetic oils and the substantial advantages and benefits they provide vs old school petroleum oils. Enjoy -

http://www.youtube.com/user/HiTechOilCo

Some vehicles like the Chevrolet Corvette require that a synthetic oil be used or it can void the warranty. Many new Toyota's come with synthetic oil in their engines right from the Toyota factory assembly lines.

Last edited:
sorry it was not my toyota is was my honda civic and it was in big bold print in a haynes manual i bought from a part store on a 1993. may have just been old news needed up dating. but i also own a 2003 ford that calls for the motor craft 5/ 20 synthetic blend. before i switched it to my [beloved valvoline ] lol it had the worst knock / ping i ever heard on a cold motor. VALVOLINE 10/40 no sounds what so ever. so i do think there might be a little truth to what it said but some people will tell you oil is oil and some is better the none at all lol

Well the Haynes manual was and is incorrect, or Toyota wouldn't be using synthetic oil in their cars right from the factory, as do many other vehicle manufacturers all over the world.

Going from a 5W-20 to a thick 10W-40 will reduce a lot of noise, yes.

Blend oils can have as little as 1% synthetic oil in them and still be legally called a blend. Buyer beware.

sorry it was not my toyota is was my honda civic and it was in big bold print in a haynes manual i bought from a part store on a 1993. may have just been old news needed up dating. but i also own a 2003 ford that calls for the motor craft 5/ 20 synthetic blend. before i switched it to my [beloved valvoline ] lol it had the worst knock / ping i ever heard on a cold motor. VALVOLINE 10/40 no sounds what so ever. so i do think there might be a little truth to what it said but some people will tell you oil is oil and some is better the none at all lol
Using a 10W-40 in an engine that calls for 5W-20 can cause accelerated engine wear, reduced power, reduced fuel economy, increased emissions, harder winter starting and in a new car under warranty, using the incorrect oil viscosity can void the engine warranty.

Which model of Ford is this and which engine does it have? I can look up the recommended viscosity for you.