Need Help Please

I just bought a 2011 corolla and when I'm driving it at around 45 to 55 it's acts like it wants to down shift it bogs down I'm not sure what I should do it only has 60k miles.

Might need to take it to a shop. It is hard to diagnose over the internet and it could be electrical, a failing servo, and other things.

Whatever it is, it probably isn't good.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Loss of power can be a lot of things, not here to guess with minimal info, like Don.... said diagnostics at the shop can not cost much, this should have been done before a car purchase, that could have saved a ton of money in the long run.... :thumbsup:

An obvious one would be to check the transmission fluid level.

Drive it around for about 20 minutes in the city, then park the car.

Go from D to N to R to N to D, give each gear time to engage. Repeat this cycle three times, then throw the car in Park and keep the engine running.

Pop the hood, and look for the transmission dipstick. It is the one between the engine and the transaxle. Pull it out and look at the reading (you'll have a COLD reading and a HOT reading, make sure to check the HOT reading).

Also, check the smell of the fluid, the color (make sure it is reddish), check for metallic flakes, and most importantly, check for air bubbles in the fluid.

If the fluid smells burned or is low or has air bubbles in the fluid, you will have to have it taken to a transmission shop, as the only remedy for this is to drain the fluid, replace the filter, and add fluid again.

If the fluid is a little low, you can add it yourself directly into the dipstick tube with a funnel, just keep in mind that LOW to HIGH is a PINT, not a quart (you do not want to overfill transmissions or you'll get air bubbles).

Best bet is to keep adding small amounts and checking until you are halfway between LOW and HIGH.

You'll also want to get the correct fluid. Automatic transmissions use different fluids and there are a ton out there available that are NOT interchangeable.