Need Help With 1995 Compressor Belt Adjusment

ok i have a 95 corolla dx 1.8. the ac idler pulley needs to be replaced. my ac compressor belt runs around the compressor idler pulley and cam or drive pulley.

i can't find the compressor tension adjustment screw can't see it and if thats not it then how do i break the idler pulley lock nut loose?

is it a left hand thread?
is the nut in the center of the pulley right?

I wish somebody had answered you -

I wish someone had answered you - because now I have the same questions about my 1993. <g>

The adjustment screw is right above the A/C compressor and faces the front of the car. It's "up" at about a 45º angle. But what secures the idler assembly is the center bolt - in the middle of the pulley. I know because I pulled the compressor off and then removed the bracket the compressor bolts to. Along with it came the idler assembly - so I could see in the back and how it was attached.

But I can't break mine free either. So I was also wondering if the bolt threads are maybe left-handed. <g>

PHM
-------

ok i have a 95 corolla dx 1.8. the ac idler pulley needs to be replaced. my ac compressor belt runs around the compressor idler pulley and cam or drive pulley.

i can't find the compressor tension adjustment screw can't see it and if thats not it then how do i break the idler pulley lock nut loose?

is it a left hand thread?
is the nut in the center of the pulley right?

The lock down nut isn't a reverse thread. It's just a PITB to loosen it if it's been on there for any length of time. (..you can't really use WD40 because of the close proximity to all of the belts..) If you have an offset box wrench that will usually work. Be careful not to round off the bolt corners. This happens very easily on this particular bolt.

Attachments

I have the whole bracket soaking in PB Blaster

With the bracket off and a new idler ready to go on I'm not afraid of damaging the rubber bits. I would have worked on it more already but I had to make a tool to hold the crankshaft still - while I use a ten foot pipe on the crankshaft bolt's socket and breaker bar. <g>

But some crackhead stole the leads off my welder so I haven't been able to weld the tool parts together yet - so the whole project has been on hold. But I scored a great new A/C-D/C welder and some related equipment yesterday at a yard sale for cheap so maybe later today I can get back to work. <g>

BTW: The crankshaft holding tool was fairly easy to make so if anyone is interested I could post a picture of it.

PHM
------

The lock down nut isn't a reverse thread. It's just a PITB to loosen it if it's been on there for any length of time. (..you can't really use WD40 because of the close proximity to all of the belts..) If you have an offset box wrench that will usually work. Be careful not to round off the bolt corners. This happens very easily on this particular bolt.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your original post? If you need to hold the crankshaft bolt to get the AC lock down nut loose, there is something else going on here. Please send more of a description..

i finally got mine off. it is not left handed thread as stated above. my pulley belt runs around compressor which is mount lower on the engine. the nut was just a pain to get off. Once I did and I purchased a replacement bearing the center nut snapped so I ended up buying the whole pulley bearing unit from Toyota dealer 50.00 bucks. when on easy. You shouldn't have to hold crankshaft still.