Need Input! 2009 Corolla needs to new engine head gasket.

Hi All,

I would appreciate your thoughts on the issue with my 2009 Corolla (97K miles driven) described below:

My corolla two weeks ago had overheated and upon engine inspection by the auto clinic, went through replacement of coolant hose adapter, upper radiator hoses, hose adapter, thermostat and coolant. During run test, engine started to misfire and check engine light came on. Upon reading the computer code # P0304, it turned out the misfire was in cylinder #4 and found coolant in cylinder #4 with bore scope. The auto clinic recommended replacement of head gasket and inspection of cylinder head (which may be cracked). I was offered either to replace the engine or have it rebuilt, both of which would run me into $5k-6k. FYI, the corolla was worth $6k-$7k before the engine issue.

What are folks suggestions - should I go ahead with the repair or sell off the car to someone who may be able to repair it on their own. If there are repair shops in the san francisco bay area that would be do it for much less, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited:
Better to replace the engine. rebuilt is always have issues and you have to pay alot again and again. or try one super technique which my mechanic used to do. He slightly loose the head bolts and then torque them again. if it is only head gasket issue then the chances are that you will be fine. If it is head cracked then you will be in deep ****. My 99 civic we replaced the head gasket almost several time but the engine was never become good so finally we swap the engine. In my fortuner we replaced the head (as it was cracked) but power went down and no good came from that car. Once the engine is opened you will never get the same performance back and will see issues after that.