New airbag related recall - including Corolla 2010-2019

"The subject vehicles may be equipped with an airbag control module for the supplemental restraint system (SRS ECU) manufactured by ZF-TRW. The ECU receives signals from crash sensors and deploys the airbags and seat belt pretensioners in accordance with design specifications. This ECU contains a model DS84 application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) which controls the communication of the crash sensor signals, firing commands (i.e., when to deploy the airbag(s) and/or pretensioners), and fault information (e.g., diagnostic trouble codes).

"This ASIC does not have sufficient protection against negative electrical transients that can be generated in certain severe crashes, such as an underride frontal crash where there is a large engine compartment intrusion before a significant deceleration. In these cases, the crash sensor and other powered wiring can be damaged and shorted so as to create a negative electrical transient of sufficient strength and duration to damage the ASIC before the deployment signal is received in the SRS ECU. This can lead to incomplete or nondeployment of the airbags and/or pretensioners. In model year 2014-2019 Corollas, one potential mechanism contributing to the short circuit appears to be the headlight mounting bracket engagement with the crash sensor wiring along with damage to powered wiring. In the other involved vehicles, the mechanism which could create a sufficient negative electrical transient in a crash is not fully understood and is under investigation. Airbag non-deployment and/or lack of pretensioner operation can increase the risk or severity of injury in a crash.

Recall Schedule:
Notifications to distributors/dealers will be sent on January 21, 2020. Copies of dealer communications will be submitted as they are issued.
Notifications to owners of the affected vehicles will occur by March 17, 2020. A copy of the draft owner notification will be submitted as soon as it is available."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V024-6050.PDF

I guess over 2 million 'Rollas are affected, along with about a million other models. I read Hondas are also affected. Wasn't there a water pump recall or service notice recently as well? Thanks for this notification, Jolly!

Br.

I read Hondas are also affected. Wasn't there a water pump recall
Actually a whole bunch of brands have been/will be affected : FCA, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi and Toyota. Since ZF first deny the problem then that the same part was provided to other manufacturers than FCA, I smell of Takata... For Corolla in Canada, they only mention 2011-2014 MY. The other recall is for fuel pump in Corolla 2019 MY (and other Lexus/Toyota from 2018-2019 MY), but that one sound more like a production glitch.

I see. So it sounds like Toyota's fix might be installing some sort of filter for the noise...?

And yes, it was the fuel pump I read about. Although my 'Rolla is included in the airbag recall, it did miss the fuel pump recall. Knocking on wood as I'm starting this but I feel pretty lucky with my 2018 model thus far...the issues leading to that SW update and the fuel pump recall doesn't seem like it has affected my year and model. I hope that is accurate.

I'm about to do my last "free" service by the dealership. Any questions you think I should ask? I hope not to have to step into a shop for a long time. In a way, I can't wait to start changing my own oil again, lol.

Br.

Looks like my 15 rolla is up for this recall, do they give free rentals or what? Never really dealt with anything like this. The JSD campaign didnt take long but disassembling the interior (or wherever the things are) will probably be a bit of a process

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Since I owned my car all I get is htat recall more or less it is a safety feature that they should simply make madatory when cars get inspected. change out no questons asked, free.

The JSD campaign didnt take long but disassembling the interior (or wherever the things are) will probably be a bit of a process
Not much details as of now, but not necessarily. The module is just under the console, behind a removable panel and probably doesn't need to be remove, since the recall mention installing an "electric noise" filter between it and the wire harness, so possibly just "plug and play".

they should simply make madatory when cars get inspected. change out no questons asked, free.
That's exactly what is called... a recall ! ;)

I'm about to do my last "free" service by the dealership. Any questions you think I should ask?
Not really except check for recalls ! ;)

delrey

When I had my Takita airbags replaced on my '06 MPV, it only took them 30 minutes to replace it. I doubt this fix would be any longer than that.